iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the best way to remove two BIG tree remains ?

Started by joer00, April 17, 2018, 08:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joer00

Hi,

I had a company cut two huge trees but after I paid them 70 % they run away and left me with two big tree remains. Approx 10 feet high and with a diameter of approx 5 feet. I have a 23k pound wheel loader with a root rake, but the trees only laughed at me ! The loader broke and while fixing it I cut the roots around the tree with a stump grinder.

Besides the loader I have a 40 ton old crane on the lot. What is my best way to get those trees down ? See images below
(don't know why second one is turned, looks correct on my computer)

Southside

Welcome to the Forum,

Those are big for sure.  Were they dead or otherwise compromised?  If so that could complicate accurately felling what is left.  Do you have access to an excavator?  The roots could be quite deep and include a tap root so the stump grinder may have only gotten what you could see.  Digging around them with an excavator will make for a big hole, but at least you can control which way it goes.  I would not try to whump it over with anything for the reason you already learned.  I also would not use the crane to try and pull or otherwise rip it out, else you could end up on youtube.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

If you intend to pull the stumps, soak that trench with water and try again, pushing with the loader from up high.   If it doesnt wanna go, use your root rake to disturb the ground, then a pressure washer or garden hose to keep washing the dirt away and use a sawzall with a nail blade to sever more roots.  again push from up high, same side as where you cut.  You just keep soaking, finding roots to cut and pushing until it gives.  With a loader and crane youll eventually win.  
Praise The Lord

Stuart Caruk

without a decent excavator, that's going to suck. I'd get as high as I could and start taking it down in manageable chunks. Ultimately ending up cutting it as close to the ground as I could then finish up with the stump grinder. Wait 5 or 6 years and fill in the hole that show up.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!