TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Tordon question  (Read 926 times)

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Tordon question
« on: April 21, 2018, 04:25:58 PM »
  I got a quart of Tordon and started cutting some of the wild cherries and mulberries that were sprouting up around the pines. The Tordon stayed on the stumps although the sap is starting but on a vine about 1" dia the juice was coming out so strong that the Tordon pretty much just floated off. Is it the wrong time of year to use or just wrong for the vines? When will be a better time.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline Claybraker

• Mostly New!
    • Share Post
Re: Tordon question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 04:27:42 AM »
I've had good luck this time of year with the drill and fill technique using Tordon on wild grape vines and really about any stem I can drill a shallow 3/8" diameter hole. Never been a big fan of cut stump, seems like more work than necessary. 

Offline Blue Noser

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:20:08 AM »
 I got a quart of Tordon and started cutting some of the wild cherries and mulberries that were sprouting up around the pines. The Tordon stayed on the stumps although the sap is starting but on a vine about 1" dia the juice was coming out so strong that the Tordon pretty much just floated off. Is it the wrong time of year to use or just wrong for the vines? When will be a better time.
 Would it have been possible to do a foliar application?

Maybe try a cut stump application later on in the growing season when sap flow should be less vigorous.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 07:04:25 PM »
In most parts of the US, this is the wrong time of year to be doing cut stump. I usually start around mid-summer and go until the leaves start to turn.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline colby 92

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »
spring means heavy sap flow. everything is trying to grow leaves and put flowers on, so upward flow of sap is very high. I do most of of my stump spraying after the target plants have their leaves and are actively growing. I mainly commented because i was thinking that Tordon is know to move through the soil to other plants (no target plants) if used heavily.Might want to check that out before going full throttle on it. A strong concentration of Glyphosate will do the job. 50%. 

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 08:09:21 PM »
I use a lot of the rtu tordon in the quart squirt bottles for cut stump application.  I only use it in the months that have an "R" in them, just because its too hot to be in the woods in the other months.  Most use comes in January or February.  My vine experience has only been with grape vines up to 2" diameter.  Always had excellent results on anything I used it on.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Tordon question

Started by Steven A. on Ask The Forester

13 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 07:55:02 AM
by Claybraker
xx
Tordon and T.S.I.

Started by Smitty316 on Forestry and Logging

14 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 09:54:17 PM
by chain
xx
Band selection question (boring question but includes bonus pics!)

Started by Piston on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 05:39:58 PM
by barbender
angry
Question for you surveyors (sorry but it's a touchy question)

Started by SwampDonkey on General Board

32 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 10:55:40 PM
by cheyenne