iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts.....WDH, YELLOWHAMMER, CUSTOM SAWYER AND OTHERS

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 23, 2018, 05:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Certainly from an engineering standpoint, it's not a big feat.  It just depends on how complex and complicated Zack wants it.  Overhead, multiplexing tracks are not uncommon.  A simple but effective form is used in the beef industry, where a slab of beef would weigh about as much as a slab of wood.  I've considered using these myself.  I got the idea from our butcher who processes our meat and who has a system very similar to this linked between freezers, scales, and butchering counters and equipment.  Total flexibility.  However, I can't get past some of the safety and liabilty issues associated with higher than "head high" lifts with heavy wooden slabs coming loose and faling on somebody.  I got a personal dose of this when I was helping him push a bunch of heavy, half frozen carcasses around, and mine came loose, fell on my shoulder and hurt my knee for a couple days.

These are very manual, and very parallel processing capable.  Multiple customers could view multiple slabs at once, in a parrallel and low marketing pressure manner.  An automatic system seems to be self limiting, unless it gets very complicated real fast.  

italmodular overhead rail im09 italmodular - YouTube

Very doable. But optimal? Automatic system, probably not worth the expense, in my opinion.  A manual system, sure, could be.  With our retail customers, they generally buy more than one slab at a time, most want 2 or 3 to make up a table top.  So they need to see all at once and generally sort through dozens, literally, to find the ones which match and catch their eye.  As part of this process they like to lay them out on the floor or against a wall and mock them up.  Turn them over, side to side, adjust the order, or flip them end for end.  Then they want to put some back and pull others out.  Then mock them up again.  So there is a lot of touching and handling by the customer.  I do believe a manual trolley and rack system could accommodate some of this, not sure an automatic system would.  However, all it takes is one slab to fall on someone and its ball game.    

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

The KISS factor too.
YellowHammer has a nice KISS setup. No motors to maintain.no tracks,just racks. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 24, 2018, 02:16:01 PMSecond, from a marketing strategy, the idea of the movable rack with a single viewing spot seems self limiting as it would only serves one customer at a time. It's not unusual to have two, three, or more groups of customers looking at different slabs at the same time.  Is there a provision in the system for multiple customers looking at multiple slabs?
You could get one of those thingys like they use at Sears where you pull off a little paper tab with a number on it and wait till they call your number and it is your turn to view slabs :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hilltop366

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Hilltop366

WV Sawmiller

I think you would have to be in/near a high construction area where there is a lot of demand for such specialty items. 

I wonder if a modified system of the beef trolley using soft chokers to suspend the slabs vertically would work? Would the choker damage the corners? Would they bang together damaging the suspended slabs? 

I have worked several places where they had the big vertical rotating file systems with chains on each end that rotate to display the row of files you want which would be similar in weight to your description. One place I worked had a controlled climate warehouse for medicine that were just big shelf units on tracks with one aisle. You manually pushed the shelves in the tracks to adjust where the aisle was located so in a 50' room 47' of it was actual shelving/storage. (Kind of like the old puzzles where you moved tiles around with one empty spot).

I think it would take a very long time for any of these systems to pay for themselves.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brian_Weekley

If you're going to do it, might not need to be this heavy duty, but an overhead crane seems to be the way to go...

Moving Granite/Increasing Productivity-Gorbel Work Station Cranes - YouTube

e aho laula

Bruno of NH

What happens if the slab market falls out ?
That's a lot of money invested.
Good idea though but a lot of money. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

scsmith42

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 03, 2018, 06:18:20 PM
What happens if when the slab market falls out ?
That's a lot of money invested.
Good idea though but a lot of money.
Fixed it for you....  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Bruno of NH

I'm riding the wave on the slabs :)
Mr scsmith42
I'm working on other markets for when it does.
I'm my area I sell a certain way and this last month I have many copie cats.
I will beat them on quality and service  :)
Folks think things are easy. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

smoked

This makes me think of shopping for granite.  I can see how it is cool idea but the infrastructure to make it work seems extreme.  Set up your barn/warehouse to be a space efficient as possible and just let people wander around.  That is part of the experience.   
Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

Lawg Dawg

I just cut em, stack em up beside the barn and sell em.  

They usually don't sit here long enough to dry out! Saws em, and sells em! Ride the wave! Woo hoo! :D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Carson-saws

That is what is so cool about this Forum....You "plant a seed" for an idea and get lots of good ideas where somewhere done the line , the input will  arrive at a conclusion...
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!