AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Huge stump reduction  (Read 825 times)

Offline Tmacmullin

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Huge stump reduction
« on: April 25, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »

I have a 40” diameter hard wood stump that I need to extract from the ground. I know that even if I successfully sever all the peripheral roots that my Bobcat E50 (maximum lifting capacity of 6000 lbs) will not be able to lift that stump in its entirety into my dump truck. So before I sever the side roots I was thinking I could use my newly purchased serrated ripper to “cut” through the core stump into at least 4 separate pieces then sever the side roots and subsequently hoist each quarter into my truck, after removing as much dirt from the stump quarters as possible.
Do you think the use of the serrated ripper will be a good substitute for a chainsaw in this case?

My other alternate thought is to rip free the entire stump and then use a high-pressure washer to “clean” the stump as much as possible then use a chainsaw with a 3’ bar and quarter the stump accordingly!

What’s your thought?
Btw this stump was recently a live tree brought down by storms last month here in the Boston area. The owner thinks the tree was either a silver maple or a silver oak! So hard, non-rotten Wood is what I have to deal with!

Offline jason.weir

• Share Post
Re: Huge stump reduction
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »
if you think your ripper will split the stump then by all means do that while it's captive - once it's out of the ground you're left with sawing it as the ripper will just push it around.

And remember that 6K lifting capacity is usually rated close to the machine and at the bucket pin.  The further you move out and up capacity goes down fast.  That's a big stump for a 10k machine..

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:25:45 PM »
Can you not grind it in place?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »
You can plunge cut the inner meat from the top plane and head down toward the tap root with a chainsaw to make sectioning go faster for the excavator.  If you cut up the center pretty deep itll be like a cored orange.  Your ripper can pick at the center you sawed out and fold out chunks pretty easy against the sideroot's strength.  A root on the south side uses tension to keep a tree from falling to the north.  That same root isnt very good at preventing a fall to the south.  So by sectioning the middle you immensely weaken the structure.  Id probably try for 6 or 7 segments and peel it open like 'bloomin onion' from the center.  Try to cut out good pockets you can really bite the ripper into.

Stuff like this i use a 18v milwaukee angle grinder and freehand sharpen often.   Deeper you cut, the more imbedded rock within the wood to fold the chisel corner over on you.  Its gonna finish off a few chains on you.
Revelation 3:20

Offline SwampDonkey

• Board Moderator
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
The fellow I had tear down an old farm house on my build site rolled out a big old maple stump around that size with an excavator. I didn't want him to dig it, because it is next to another. Didn't leave much of a crater behind. Does need some fill on it, but not huge.

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Inventory reduction

Started by bandmiller2 on Chainsaws

8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2013, 08:49:55 PM
by AdkStihl
xx
Fuel Reduction

Started by QwikDraw on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2007, 11:00:11 AM
by Ron Scott