iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture meters inside the kiln

Started by 123maxbars, April 28, 2018, 12:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I operate a Nyle L53 Kiln, when checking the load on a daily basis i use my pinless wagner MM to check MC. Because I am inside the kiln (usually running around 120 degrees or higher) will that effect the reading of the meter? I have noticed a different reading on boards on the last day of drying versus when they come out of the kiln,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

My Wagner does not call for a temperature correction.  The Delmhorst J-2000X does require a temperature correction. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Are your boards reading higher or lower the next day?  I was told to let the boards cool down and age "like a good steak" and then check the actual MC.  I use a Lignomat pinless and notice that the MC is lower after cooling.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

When you check lumber in the kiln during drying, it has a moisture gradient with the core being wetter than the shell.  So, the high core MC has more dominant effect.  Second, the meter is initially cool...cooler than the dew point... so condensation forms on the meter and gets into the electronics.  Neither a pin or pinless meter is designed to work with c0ndensation issues, so warm it up in a plastic bag before using it.  Third, the meter is calibrated for use at room temperature.  I have seen no indication that the meter itself is NOT affect by temperature; I have not seen where the manufacturer suggests that using a meter at 130 F or other temperature is ok...it is not.  So, I do believe a pinless meter should not be used on lumber with a gradient or used above room temperature (so, take the pieces out of the kiln for a minute at most).  A pin meter has the same equipment limitations, but at least Delmhorst and has wired systems and Lignomat has wireless probes that let the pins be in the kiln, but the measuring equipment is in a warm room.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!