Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: How is this possible, my saw started running backwards.  (Read 2418 times)

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: How is this possible, my saw started running backwards.
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 11:35:28 PM »
I had an old GMC 7500 Dump truck, actually an old Wyoming State plow truck. Tandem Axle (44K) heavy front for the size of the truck (16K) and a 12 ft box. Two lift rams...and used it for spreading road base on the steep hills in the Colorado Foot Hills 15-20 years ago. The thing had an 5x4 two stick transmission setup and a 6v53T ear buster for a motor. Ran out of power going up a real steep hill. with the box part way up, too steep to spread down hill.... and next thing I know I'm headed backwards under power with all this smoke billowing out the front and all this noise! A real butt pucker moment to say the least..:) BUT I'm still here so the story had a good end. That truck eventually was sold at auction in Ft. Collins...it was green... LOL Had LOTS of memories in that thing. Ears still ringing too.
20 gears in reverse! WOW!! :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
Wheee :D

I was reading the manual for the Kubota yesterday and there was a short paragraph on what to do if it started in reverse. Basically, shut 'er down quick, it's going dry and can also ignite the air filter.

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 02:43:06 PM »
How about the Mercury outboards?  I had a white 4 cylinder, around 60-70 hp and it was a direct drive that ran backwards for reverse, was probably manufactured in the 1960's.

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 11:38:27 PM »
I had an old GMC 7500 Dump truck, actually an old Wyoming State plow truck. Tandem Axle (44K) heavy front for the size of the truck (16K) and a 12 ft box. Two lift rams...and used it for spreading road base on the steep hills in the Colorado Foot Hills 15-20 years ago. The thing had an 5x4 two stick transmission setup and a 6v53T ear buster for a motor. Ran out of power going up a real steep hill. with the box part way up, too steep to spread down hill.... and next thing I know I'm headed backwards under power with all this smoke billowing out the front and all this noise! A real butt pucker moment to say the least..:) BUT I'm still here so the story had a good end. That truck eventually was sold at auction in Ft. Collins...it was green... LOL Had LOTS of memories in that thing. Ears still ringing too.
20 gears in reverse! WOW!! :D :D :D
Worked for this dairy out there, in the Longmont area..:) And they were into selling compost. We would use those trucks to haul the manure from cleaning pens up to this area where they would mix it up with top soil......and the sloppy stuff sometimes too out of their "pit". It was fun to up shift back wards and pop the gate / hit the brakes and watch in the mirror the splash....my newer trucks of that time didn't have that.....With the thirteen speed road rangers high range in reverse was too tall. ( County trucks I just retired from driving with their 18spds would let you get started in reverse, then go to high range.....we were heading backwards in those county trucks are close to 20mph...all summer long keeping up with the chippers and other stuff :) )
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, 365/Huztl 52mm build (Cyclops),562xp "HTSS", 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, 440e, Homelite 540, S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, 49sp, 621; Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 11:42:03 PM »
How about the Mercury outboards?  I had a white 4 cylinder, around 60-70 hp and it was a direct drive that ran backwards for reverse, was probably manufactured in the 1960's.
Some of the old merc's were called "Dock busters" because they literally ran the motors in reverse vs. having a geared reverse in the lower units...:) Most were the in line 6's
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, 365/Huztl 52mm build (Cyclops),562xp "HTSS", 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, 440e, Homelite 540, S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, 49sp, 621; Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »
:D  The clutch would likely not come loose unless you put a load on the chain. I once had a customer complain his new chain would not cut, it was on backwards. He realized that but wanted to cut with the top of the bar.
 oh man, that's a good one!!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »
Just tell him to put the chain on the regular way and flip the bar over.  ;D

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »
Had this happen to my Echo cs600p.
Had been running it a while then shut it off.
When I went to start it it back fired and then I had to pull several times to get it going.
I was bucking a White pine log and the thing wasn't cutting for crap.
Thats when I noticed the chain running backwards.
Shut it off and it took many pulls to get started again but then performed normally
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
353 Running Backwards

Started by David-L on Forestry and Logging

33 Replies
Last post April 16, 2015, 06:06:00 PM
by snowstorm
xx
Bandmill running backwards?

Started by broker farmer on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post November 23, 2005, 09:56:36 PM
by pigman