iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying lumber on a covered concrete slab.

Started by firefighter ontheside, May 01, 2018, 10:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I'm drying lumber underneath my 30x14 deck and the deck has a roof over it.  The stacks that are closest to the edge could occasionally get some rain blown in on them, but for the most part it's always dry.  I have been stacking the lumber on concrete blocks, but wonder if I need to.  Could I use 2x4's on edge to keep the lumber 3 1/2" off the concrete and save the blocks for weighing down the stacks?  Or perhaps pieces of 4x4 with stacking sticks on top of those?  Otherwise I'm gonna need a lot more blocks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

scsmith42

The problem with air drying close to the ground is that the air flow is reduced, as opposed to higher.  

If you were to stack low, I would suggest some box fans on low to help increase air flow over the bottom portion of your stacks.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

firefighter ontheside

We would be talking the difference between 8" off the ground and 3.5" off the ground.  That doesn't seem very significant.  I have considered a fan or two back there anyway.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dave Shepard

I personally wouldn't put 2x4 on edge. 4x4 with a stick is better. If you don't have plastic under the slab, moisture can come up through the concrete. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

firefighter ontheside

I went ahead and stacked today's lumber on blocks.  Concrete blocks are probably cheaper than 4x4's anyway.  I will need more blocks for the next logs though.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

My pallets have conventional 2x4 runners, and I stack on the concrete slab under a metal awning.  Works very well if you can get sufficient airflow.  My metal awning is open on 4 sides.  If one or two sides are blocked with walls, fans are important to exhaust moist air.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 01, 2018, 06:28:42 PMConcrete blocks are probably cheaper than 4x4's anyway.

Well, you can cut 4x4s for free...  I get all my concrete blocks for free off CL. The other day someone had 2 pallets of new blocks for free (must take all)!  It didn't work out for me to get them, not that I needed that many.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

PThis is true John.  I was referring to using treated wood, but I guess if it stays dry I don't need to.  
I'm considering making some sort of pallets to stack on to speed up my process.
Thanks guys.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

Conventional pallets with a top and bottoms can cause sticker stain issues, as does using 4x4's if they are in full contact with the wood it is stacked on, assuming you are going to stack pallets of lumber.  The contact area is high enough to cause sticker stain u deer the 4x4's.  I use skids or pallet made of 2x4's with no bottom layer, and a well spaced layer of 4/4 boards on the top, generally poplar, to lessen the chances of bug infestation.  The 2x4 runners rarely will cause contact sticker stain, and are positioned in line with my stickers.  Pallets or skids are wonderful for handling boards.  The wood comes off the mill onto them, and from then in, everything is moved by forklift.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

PA_Walnut

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 02, 2018, 12:43:55 PMThe 2x4 runners rarely will cause contact sticker stain, and are positioned in line with my stickers.  Pallets or skids are wonderful for handling boards.  The wood comes off the mill onto them, and from then in, everything is moved by forklift.  

Amen to this! We do the same...pallets are the way to go.  I have recently been hitting our new pallets (which are normally kd 2x4's from Lowes...fast and easy), with BoraCare immediately after assembly.  Pallets that may be stacked on the ground (stone) usually get pressure-treated, again to help with bugs trying to migrate upwards.

I also save junker boards during sawing to sticker on the top layer so that stacking-up, I don't really care about sticker stain on top layer.

I really try (like) to use Yellow's methods of no bottom layer, but I find that big/heavy loads aren't very forgiving to my forking-practices. (I use a tractor, not a forklift). If I get into one of them, or sit them down unlevel, they fold over. Recently have gone to larger/longer stainless screws $$$ to see if that alleviates some of it.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

PA_Walnut

As Yoda Yellow has gracefully pointed-out to me, I need to move/keep my straps closer to the sticks in order to alleviate dips in my stack. I don't crank them down hard, but all small things, lead to success. Thx Yellow!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!