TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: What is a current price per lineal foot for 4 side machining a 1x6??  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
Still workin on the molder plan but need more figures...Thks

*edit* assuming one custom plane/molds.,,,,
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Here, at production volumes, you'd be looking at $400 cubic meter for non complex stuff like DAR , T&G, VJ, shiplap etc in standard sizes. 

Complex stuff like deep architravings or cornice moulding be about20% more plus knife grinding costs if required. Custom work requiring two passes with two sets of knives gets expensive real quick.

Retail volumes, where the guy wants half a dozen boards done, id expect to pay setup costs at $100 an hour over and above that. Takes time to sharpen knives and fit them, and you can't defray that over 20 meters like you can over 2000 meters.

For those short order jobs a spindle moulder is often a cheaper option just because of the setup cost. Moulders are cheaper in dollars a meter, but only on production runs where the higher output can justify the setup.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
Thanks. I did the math and that makes your price roughly 30 cents a lineal foot. I didn’t look at the difference between the Canadian and Aussie buck. I’ve talked to a lot of other planer folks and it runs anywhere from 30-40 cents for the easy stuff. More for the complex   

Thanks for pointing out “production quantities”   Setup and knife costs are paramount considerations. 

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
To price setup costs here ... well a wood machinist is considered a skilled tradesman, equivalent to a diesel fitter or electrician... worth more then a boilermaker/welder or builder. The big guys like Cat/Komatsu/ John Deere etc charge their fitters out at $105 an hour last time I got one in so... thats where the $100 comes from. Figure it would be the same relationship there even if the actual dollar value is different.

Aussie Dollar and Canadian Dollar are usually pretty much a 1:1 swap, give or take a couple cents either way. Similar economies, similar populations give or take a couple million, similar government services. You guys got snow and we got desert, thats about the only difference eh?

Moulders make money if you can keep them fed, in the same way a kiln does.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
Being a greenhorn, I may not charge much for setup as it may take a while. I spoke with Doug(DGK) and he avoids small runs as they are unprofitable in his experience....The stand alone spindle shaper is a good alternate for these small orders. I have one somewheres in "The Barn Of Broken Dreams"  ;D ;D

Another question if you dont mind....say you sold a bunch of 1x6 t&g and the guy comes back for more a month later. How do you replicate width/thickness accurately as these measurements would be critical in this situation?? 

I wont be getting my machine till july so I have time to get my ducks in a row. 

In addition to snow/desert, you have snakes, and we have grizzly bears.....I'd take the bears anyday.....snakes is nightmare stuff for me... :D :D :D

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Every time you do a run you keep an offcut. And you make sure that every time you run a profile it's the same size... so all your 6x1 is the same 135x19 finsh T&G always... give or take a couple thou.
Then you set your machine to that offcut.

Now this this why I own a big old 4 sider for DAR but hire my moulding done nowadays. You either get to...

climb up in that olddirtygreasything and measure things with calipers, and loosen and tighten head bolts until your heads fit your offcut. Then run a sample, measure with calipers. Climb back into that olddirtygreasything, loosen a head off here and there and tap them over a couple thou and tighten and run a sample.... over and over until you get it all right. And hey it dont take that long... once you get familiar with your own olddirtygreasything its not so bad at all though the first few times drive you insane....
or
You put your coffee on the bench and hit the switches and pass a workpiece through. Take a sip of your coffee then measure the workpiece with calipers, plug the physical offset between the digital readout and the calipers into the offset allowance screen, have another sip of coffee while one finger pushes the button to make the numbers match. Send another workpiece through, then take a mouthfull of coffee again. Check with calipers because it dosnt hurt to be sure. Then skol your coffee and send her...

A piece of advice that was given to me long time ago... buy the $60 thousand dollar moulder that a monkey can operate, not the $6 thousand dollar moulder that needs a $60 thousand dollar a year machinist to drive it. It was good advice.

Offline curved-wood

• Share Post
So I am one of those monkey that bought a $6000  5 heads moulder and was supposed to get a $60,000 salary ...still waiting for the salary increase. ;D ;D
I have two  4 faces planers, old machines, run on 550 volts, work well but long to set up. Great machines to  increase wood value and to recuperate low grade and shorts, like in flooring. I like to plane my own clean stuff with the right tolerance in the sawing . I keep samples that are used in the set- up.  I do repeat  the same profile. I rarely do some planing for others because my set-up was too long, too much variation in dimension of the infeed wood, runs were quite often too small, presence of gravel or metal.

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
mmm, i think it maybe depends on the machine. The old one I started with was finicky with long setup times, but it did a good job and was very repeatable sizewise so long as I took the time to get it right.The biggest problem I had aside from setup time was it had a cast iron bed rather then the modern chrome moly steel one so I was forever using bed lube on her. I'd probably still have it but it was damaged when the shed fell in during a hurricane and my stop gap get it done elsewhere worked out that well I didnt need to replace it.

My best advice, seeing you've got lead time before it hits, is to saw saw saw. Get a heap of feedstock for what you expect to be your common products cut. Then, when you get an order set the machine up and run a heap more then required. Stuff like T&G, decking, wall panelling... it never hurts to have stock ready to roll out the door, and it gets you around the short run headaches. The first run I did with my moulder was just under 5000 linear meters of decking... I sent the lot wholesale and had my money back in the bank 35 days after installation.

I get people all the time... can you get this... and I'm like yeah I can get it done in 12 weeks because I have to saw/dry/dress... but I got this instead ready to roll. 50/50 split on whether they wait or take whats on the floor. I've learnt that "walnut" or "maple" or "oak" is in many cases just a synonym for "nice" and maybe a colour preference.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Current price of ash on the stump

Started by OneWithWood on Ask The Forester

6 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 07:36:32 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Current price of poplar

Started by flip on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 07:52:47 AM
by flip