iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

black cherry transplant

Started by edward johnson, May 02, 2018, 11:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edward johnson

I'd like to transplant a black cherry tree.  It's less than 10' tall.  I've tried little seedlings; they dry up quick (with in 15 mins) and don't take.  Any suggestions?

low_48

Best method, hire a landscaping company with a tree spade. I've never had any luck when I try to dig them myself by hand. No idea if you have any machinery.

Claybraker

Down here fall is the time for transplanting. Then it's got all winter and spring for the roots to adapt to the new surroundings before the hot dry summer.

edward johnson

no machinery.  just a spade shovel.  Maybe i should start them from seed.

SwampDonkey

Up here, springtime as soon as frost is gone from the soil is the best success. You can't leave the tree roots exposed for hours before planting. I like to have the hole already for trees, up to 6 feet tall. I don't like to try to plant taller ones, less success. Make sure the tree was not growing over topped, the leaf morphology will be much different and probably burn up. I have transplanted many trees over the years and have had high survival. I just don't try to go too big, tree size. I've seen 4 foot maple grow right on past 12 foot tall ones and be much healthier. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!