iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

20 acres of timber

Started by Crossroads, May 23, 2018, 10:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runningalucas

Welcome to the neighborhood.  My wife, and I live in Spokane, but have 20 acres up north of Sandpoint.  It's a clean area overall.  Kootenai county is who you'll be dealing with I believe if near Post Falls. 

The snow Spokane to C'da isn't as bad as it is up in Sandpoint.  Bonner's Ferry is a relative banana belt even though further north. 

I hope all goes well for you, and yours!
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Crossroads

Thank you! I just looked at the map and it looks like it might be in benewah county. Talked to the agent  this evening and it sounds like our offer is being accepted. I guess I'll be heading to Idaho next week to take a closer look see.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

BradMarks

Crossroads

Okay, so it just got real. We have an accepted offer. Now to make the trip over this week and start checking off the contingencies. I have a week to verify the spring and the ability to get electrical and 21 days to get the perc test done. Yay, moving forward 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Runningalucas

Spring on the property?  Shallow well time!  The property we have is bordered on both sides by creeks; the one is year round, and the other is seasonal.  We're up in the mountains, but the water table is usually no more than around 10' down; I want to put in several shallow wells, to take  advantage of the water that abounds.   Our main well is drilled, but most of the neighbors have shallow wells, and they work.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Crossroads

Yeah, there is supposed to be a spring that the neighbors were using, but the owner lives in TN and hasn't been there in a while. My thoughts/day dreams are to be able to pump water to a cistern above the home site, that way there's never a heavy demand on the spring. 

thecfarm

All sounds good.
Electricity can be pricey in this area. I said can be. Depends on a lot of factors.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crossroads

I'm waiting for a call back from avista utilities to get an idea what it will cost. Looking at satellite pictures, I see solar panels at the closest neighbors. So, it may end up being a generator show. 

Crossroads

Made a quick trip over last week to lay eyes on the place. The timber isn't as big as it looks in the pictures, so that a downer, but there is some usable trees on the place. The spring is there and flowing right out of the hillside. Checked the well reports in the area and they range from 30' to 300'. The electricity it closer than we thought and is only about 300' from the homesite. The perc test for the septic will be done this week and if that passes we' Be setting a closing date. 

mike_belben

If the timber was prime theyd roll its value into the sticker price at double the delivered to mill appraisal anyway.  

Sounds like its all working out for you, glad to hear.    

Praise The Lord

ksmitchell

Congrats, on the hopeful purchase. I have land just north of Spokane in Springdale. However I grew up in the Spokane/northern Idaho area and love it there.

Skipper11A

Electric is 300' away? Praise the Lord, I've been following your journey and was so concerned that you'd end up with an off-grid house (while paying an on-grid price).  I am concerned about your neighbors with the solar panels, did you talk to any of them?  If your neighbors have lots of solar panels...they may know something terrible that you don't.  You need to talk to the Electric Utility Company and your neighbors to find out how much it will cost to get electricy to your homestead. 

thecfarm

Power company should be able to do a quote for you for free.
I ran 500 feet up my driveway. If I would of just called them in Dec.,instead of Feb, I could of had the power installed for free. The rules got changed the first of the year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

You are one lucky guy.  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Crossroads

The guy from the power company said it's roughly $10 a foot, but if I want an exact quote I have to pay $250 for the engineering.

I tried to talk to the neighbors, the one with the solar panels (2) wasn't home. I left a note, but haven't gotten a call. The other had a gate with lots of less than welcoming signs.

Thanks Dennis, if the perc test are good this week things should start moving pretty fast.

thecfarm

$250  ::)   :o  I hope they take that off the bill if you decide to do it.  ::)

Crossroads

I wish, but I didn't get that impression. 

Thank You Sponsors!