iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 460

Started by sawwood, May 06, 2018, 09:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

I just bought a used Stihl 460 to go on our chainsaw mill. We will be running a 36" bar and ripping chain. Do I need to add a little more
oil to the mix as I will be milling large oak logs in the 28 to 32" size. Also what type of oil do you guys recommend and should I buy alcohol
free gas to run in it ?

Sawwood 
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

TIDE-HSV

I'm sure I'm just O/C (and old), but I use Stihl oil with my Stihls (3) and Husky oil with my 372xp. I'm sure I could interchange with no problem. However, on the no-ethanol issue, I don't think I'm O/C. Nothing but pure gas for me. I'm not sure what the absolute limit is for alcohol sitting in a small engine is before it ruins the seals, but I've found it several times...
"I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." Albert Camus

Texas-Jim

If you have a source for ethanol free use it, even if it didnt hurt seals it has less stored energy than gas.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

teakwood

IMO a 460 is way too small for chainsawmilling. More for the size logs you want to cut.
I used a 088 and for the smaller stuff a 066
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

DaveinNH

Several years ago I did some milling with a 460 24 and 36 inch bars, mostly on pine for a post and beam project. I did do a couple of larger maple slabs, and agree that the 460 is underpowered for that. While milling I always went 10% over on the oil in my gas mix.
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

Canadiana

Don't under estimate the experience of the sawyers in the milling section of FF too
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Thank You Sponsors!