iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brought home a LT15wide

Started by Merlin, July 18, 2018, 09:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Hello all,

Just wanted to thank those that helped me make a decision and today I went and picked up my new mill. I posted earlier but I was improper in my language and  policiticalness. So for that I am sorry for offending anyone.

So just an update, I decided to go with the WM over the EZ 40, due to supporting a local dealer here in Nova Scotia and the current trade issues between the US and Canada.
So I got it home all wrapped up and like Christmas, got to tear it open to see a shiny new mill.
It did happen and here are some pics of the mill with my wife and son.

Since I have had a bit of time tonight, I read through the owners manual and noticed in the specs that the mill can only cut a cant 29.5", where as WM advertises the ability to cut 35.5". If anyone has an Lt 15 wide and can comment on which is correct, that would be great. I have attached the page in the manual as well.

Again thank in advance for any and all help.

Merlin
2018 LT15 Wide, 2012 Kubota M8540 w FEL, Norse 390 logging winch, IH 484 w FEL, several Stihl Chainsaws. 115 acre family farm with NFLD ponies, a few beef cows, 1 Border Collie, a very understanding wife and 2 great kids.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Magicman

Congrats on the new sawmill and the wide smile on the orange shirted guy.

The specs indicate that the maximum blade height above the bed is 35½", maximum width between the blade guides is 36", and the maximum width from the outer blade guide to the stop block is 29".  To saw wider than the stop block, the log or cant has to be moved to the left. 

I do not have a wide but this is the same procedure that I have to follow in order to shift the log or cant beyond the stop block and toward the left blade guide.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PA_Walnut

Congrats on your new mill!

I have an LT40 wide and have learned from much gnashing of teeth...36" isn't really 36"!  :D

Leave a bit of margin to get through and then open the guide up a little more if you get hung up.
Also, always position the big end toward the head, so you can clear (or not) early in the cut.
Getting hung up at the far end causes much consternation! 

34" is a nice number!  ;D :D 8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

YellowHammer

There is some technique as described on cutting maximum capacity.  Getting the blade hung on a maximum capacity log is no fun.  Take shallow cuts instead of big bites as they are easier to clear if you get hung, and always leave the blade guide slightly inboard of max width , say 33" if max is 34" to use as an escape plan and as indicator of future trouble.  I keep a couple plastic felling wedges and a hand sledge hammer near the mill if case of a hang.  Sometimes the band can be backed out by opening the kerf with the wedges or clearing the sawdust using an old piece of saw blade, sometimes the band can be dismounted from the mill and backed or cut out with a chainsaw, sometimes its easier to simply use the wedges to open the kerf and actually split the slab off the log.  Not that I've ever done any one these many times..... :D Best thing is not to get hung in the first place.

Have fun.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

will49766

Congratulations on your new mill purchase!  I bought a new LT40HD Wide in January and have been learning a lot.   WoodMizer is an awesome company and they make a great product.  You will love the new machine!
Will Houghmaster

boardmaker

Congrats,
Looks great and the family looks excited!

wesdor

That mill will last a long time and cut lots of wood. 
Great looking family you have there.

Enjoy.

alanh

congrats on the mill, I wish mine was a wide....I only see one problem, in your 3rd pic I can see pretty much over the horizon....doesn`t seem to be too many trees?

Bruno of NH

I don't have a WM wide
I have a Thomas that can take a 36" log. 
I can add a 1" shim over the bed rails and move the can't as far back online with the fixed blade guide and cut 31".
But the log has to be very straight and smooth.
You need to have a plan before you load the log.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

Congratulations on the new mill.  There are all sorts of work arounds to get more capacity out of a mill 

On the specs - a band sawmill can cut a log diameter greater than the largest cant the mill can cut. Thus the 35 1/2" log diameter and 29" cant size.  Cant size is limited by the distance between the adjustable guide and the log stops on the opposite side. There are workarounds there too.  Just requires creative clamping and as mentioned a carefully considered plan.

I've managed to break down a few logs 36-38" diameter with a mill that has a 32" log diameter capacity and something like a 28" cant size (not sure could be less) mainly by whittleing or "gun barreling" the sides making a hexagon or octagon our of the log then breaking it down from there.

As mentioned above, on a big log you need a plan before it is on the mill.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gump

Congrats Merlin.
So thats what they look like under the plastic wrap!! :D

dmoore1983

Hi Merlin, congrats on the new mill!

The LT15 WIDE can make a 35.5" cut. However, when sawing it is limited to a 29" cant. This is because of the side supports/log stops. With that said, you typically wont have a use for 35.5" cants. Even a 29"cant is pretty big. You will be able to make 35.5" slabs. A good way to think of it is your blade guide rollers are 35.5" apart. 

We cut a 28" diameter log up this week into 6" cants. on a WIDE. I don't get to saw as much as I used to but it is always a ton of fun when I do.

May the Lord bless and keep you...

Merlin

Thanks to all for the input on how to cut the wider stuff. I am almost finished getting it setup in the overhang that will be the new home for the mill. Just waiting on 2 boxes of blades and i have to build my log deck.
Most of this should get done tomorrow or Monday. Trying to get this done during haying season is  quite difficult.

I only have 20 or so logs ready to cut, but lots down behind. I expect it will be a busy winter hauling logs. Alanh, our farm is at the top of a hill so unless I take the pics pointing down, it's hard to see the trees.
Once setup I will need some help with an elm tree I have that is 35" at the crotch. I would like to slab it, but not sure the best way. I will get some pics in the next few days to show what it looks like and hopefully you guys can help me along.
Anyways, time for some sleep as I have to trim under the fences in a 12 acre field.
Cheers,
Merlin
2018 LT15 Wide, 2012 Kubota M8540 w FEL, Norse 390 logging winch, IH 484 w FEL, several Stihl Chainsaws. 115 acre family farm with NFLD ponies, a few beef cows, 1 Border Collie, a very understanding wife and 2 great kids.

Merlin

So, the mill is finally levelled and placed in a spot to keep it out of the weather. I have added some pics and if any of you see how I can improve what I have or any issues that I may need to look into, please reply away. Once this heat breaks, I get my log deck built and I get a box of blades, I should be ready to saw.  

Again thanks for any and all input.

I have everything lag bolted together and each of the feet screwed down. It shouldn't move, but big logs can move most things.

Lawg Dawg

Looks like you already had a shed for it!  8)

Yes, big logs will definitely move that 15 around!  :o

I started about 8 years ago with an LT-15 and finally upgraded to a 40 wide.  You will love it, and congrats! :)
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

Yes, using the screw feet, when you turn big logs, the feet will crab over.  Better to take them off, add some beams, and affix the mill to the beams.  Get the mill up to about knee height. 

I laid the beams cross-ways to the long length of the bed and framed the mill in with 2x4's so that the mill could not move. A log deck will also make your life much easier.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!