iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3pt Logging Winch Build

Started by GigaRift, May 26, 2018, 08:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Mine's an old pto drive braden, drive it with chain drive to a hydraulic motor. Motor runs off the tractor hydraulics, reversable. Power in, power out, and freespool. Works good for me.. Go to Banjo pickers gallery and look at the home-made job he built...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

GigaRift

So I started fabing up the winch this weekend past. Will post some pictures in a few days. I was wondering about ordering a pto shaft with a slip clutch if it would be able to protect the tractor if I was to hit a stump or rock. I could get one that only has a shear bolt, but for the little extra I could get the slip clutch and have the protection. 

I think it would help but unsure has I have never had a pto implement.

Thanks, Nathan.

GigaRift

Ok after some thinking and considering the thoughts of people here on the forum, i think i'm going to go with hydraulic. I know my tractor will be slow with the hydraulic motor. But the safety aspect, keeps me thinking. Everyone seems to think that 8000lb is enough for my tractor and after using my 3500lb electric to haul some wood this past week, i think 8000lb is more than enough. I am in the woods by myself so safety of me and the equipment is number one. Only using this for my own use and not trying to make any money using it.

So after running some number from a site i found about hydraulic motors on a motor i found available to me. I think i may be able to run around 6400lb at 33ft/min. Which if those number are somewhat correct, im find with. Could someone with a little more hydraulic knowledge correct me if im wrong. Ill post the motor and website used for calculations below.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-2-cu-in-4-bolt-hydraulic-spool-valve-geroler-motor/A-p8489957e

Hydraulic Motor Calculations - Womack Machine Supply Company

Okay, i dont know a big lot about hydraulics so, i could be very wrong with all of this. My tractors hydraulics are 5.15gpm @ 2205psi. So the motor above is only rated for 2030psi. So is this motor unuseable? 
If so would this one work: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/6-2-cu-in-2-bolt-hydraulic-spool-valve-geroler-motor/A-p8490351e

Another question about hydraulics, if i did want to get more flow from my tractor could i run a hydraulic pump from a engine accessory belt and plumb into the current hydraulic system for increased flow?

Sorry for the long post, maybe none of this make any sense. Thanks, Nathan.

Satamax

Gigarift, a daft idea which popped in my little brain. Why not get another engine, a bit more powerful, and attach that to the winch. Then, you can run the winch at the proper speed. Go hydraulics if you want. Whatever you feel like. A  1000CC should be plenty, or even less. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

I skid these oaks with a 300cc quad and a warn 1700lb winch on 1/4" cable.  That is an 11ft gate for scale. 

This is a 17hp kubota L175 2wd with no loader or weights.. Just chained to 3pt.  Oak tops.

This is a 2wd open diff deere 140 with 2 pine logs.. A 10' and a 12' i think. Harbor freight 2500lb dc winch.

8k smittybilt winch with 2 small maple trees, approx 30ft long

My point is dont get too worried about perfection, get something together cheap and try it out, have fun and rework as needed.  V2.0 is always better anyways.  If you cant drag it with a chain off the drawbar, there isnt much point winching it to the tractor. Raising the log butt high off the ground is the most important component.  
Praise The Lord

GigaRift

Thanks mike for the perception of size and power. I think you are right in getting it to work and then tune to the situation.

Hilltop366

Interesting thread,

Take a look at the product sheet for these smaller winches to give you an idea about ratios, line speed and power requirements.

Igland Info

I have the 390, this thing will break off a 8" spruce tree and has no trouble hauling in a couple of 20" spruce trees. When winching I usually run my 35 hp tractor just a bit above idle which gives me  a pto speed around 300rpm so the line is almost half of the rated speed and power. At that speed things a happening quick enough for me. I did add a top pulley to my winch, that makes things a lot easier winching in a log as it lifts up on the log as you are pulling but you have to be aware of the extra forces at the top of the winch when things fetch up! 

mike_belben

Quote from: GigaRift on June 13, 2018, 05:00:45 AM
Thanks mike for the perception of size and power. I think you are right in getting it to work and then tune to the situation.
It would probably me more useful to mention the level of strain each load put on each machine.  The quad is at 60-80% capacity on most of those stems, the green tractor at 100% and kubota around 70 ish in hilly terrain or 60 in flats.  Bobcat was at 40.  

To throw a further wrench into your spokes here.. Is what a difference a set of wheels can make.  I dont think the quad could do any two of the bigger pieces here simultaneously except maybe downhill which is always followed by uphill unfortunately.  

This is that whole pile cut up onto a trailer, and the quad can now drag it through gulleys and over dirtpiles.  On flat ground that whole pile went from impossible to a 20% load and id be wasting fuel to make a trip to the woodpile without loading up more.

On a trailer, a little tired old gutless air cooled quad can move a rick at a time.

If youre hauling firewood and the skids are long,  plan your winch out with a trailer and cable boom in mind. A deadheader with tongs is my next step.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!