iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Six wheeled Franklin

Started by BurkettvilleBob, June 03, 2018, 08:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurkettvilleBob

I saw an old six wheeled Franklin on CL, anyone ever heard of such a thing? It looked like an animal, probably not very maneuverable though.

logman81

I saw it to and thought it was pretty interesting the planitaries are massive on it!
Precision Firewood & Logging

Maine372

certainly the only one ive ever seen or heard of. showed it to a franklin enthusiast and he was astonished.

if franklin was still in business they would look like the tigercats now.

dgdrls

They made a dandy machine,
was it a forwarder?  a 170 model?
no experience with them but would love to have an opportunity

D

Satamax

Is it one like this one?

Found it on 

clearyequipments

Via google images, but doesn't show in their inventory, or website. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

logman81

Its a cable skidder looks to be a 130 model but im not sure.
Precision Firewood & Logging

mike_belben

Roof mounted cranes seem to be common on old euro machines but not popular here.  What strength does a full mast, chassis mounted crane have over a roof mount that its worth bolting the mast right in your face?  

Ive not ever run a log loader so its a serious question as i aim to build one eventually.  the roof mount is what im leaning toward based off an autocrane i have.. if a rotec doesnt land in my lap for a full cab swing by then.  
Praise The Lord

barbender

I've never ran a roof mount, but there are definitely visibility issues with the frame mounted ones. However, guys that have ran roof mounts told me there are plenty of issues with those, such as trying to keep the crane on top of the load when driving out. You have to put a valve into float so the crane can move freely when you're turning etc. and sometimes you look back and the crane is dragging beside you because it fell off the load😂
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Thanks for posting. I hadnt even thought of how youd set it on the load and still steer.  I imagine you could snap the slew gear off pretty easy by forgetting to set it to float.

Id either build it to fully fold up and set the grapple over the center joint, or swing it out front into a field goal prop.. Maybe chomp the grapple onto a cow catcher above the blade so i dont have to hear it clang.  

Praise The Lord

Skeans1

I remember hear about guys breaking the roof mount ones off, I wonder much less stable you are with all that weight up high.

mike_belben

I dunno.  The engine, tanks, pumps and everything are a mile up in the air on a timbco 820 forwarder and they seem to get around ok even with wood busting oit the top. .  I cant see moving 300lbs of turntable up 2ft (while deleting the 2ft of mast weight) is gonna make it suddenly roll over and play dead.  I mean the cab posts are gonna be strong enough to hold the crane up for the sake of my life, no matter where the crane goes so its not like id be making that heavier for the crane.  

If it was that bad i dont think thered be hundreds of backyard tractor based euro machines built that way.  
Praise The Lord

gman98

The bogies on that old franklin you are talking about came off an old clambunk skidder.  It was built by a mechanically skilled logger here in town.  He cut wood with it for a while then sold it.  Good to see it pop back up downstate.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

BurkettvilleBob

Hey alright, it's a small state isn't it Gman! That makes sense that someone built it, it sure looks like one of a kind.

Thank You Sponsors!