iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

National Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Started by teakwood, June 04, 2018, 09:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

Well "national" because it's the only one in the counrty. Saturday it was the 6th Timbersports Championship in La Fortuna near the beautiful arenal volcano.
This Timbersport Event can't be compared to those you guys are used too in the north but still i won the dang thing!!! smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
I'm so happy. I went well prepared with lots of different saws and b/c setups and did some trial runs at home for some days. The first time i was invited.
It was a very nice day and a well planed event.  Sadly Stihl does not promote safety equipment enough in Costa Rica, i was the only one with the gear on. Enjoy

First competition: nicest stool in 3min

Speedrace

precision falling

Cutting a 3x3 post by bare eye

then there was thinnest cookies, vertical cookies and cut a log to lenght by eye

Thanks to Willard (Holmentree) which gave me some great tips for the competition.  (it's been awhile since he last posted on the forum, hope he is ok!)
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Wheres all the huskies?!    ;D

I see the girls brought their safety gear.  Nice job!

Praise The Lord

Southside

Congratulations!!  Maybe you can get a title that says "National Timbersports Champion 2018" like the Foresters have - you earned it!!  What did you get for a prize?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sprucebunny

Congratulations  8)  Looks like you won a .....saw !! Guess one can never have too many.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

teakwood

Quote from: Southside logger on June 04, 2018, 10:33:23 AMWhat did you get for a prize?

I wanted the girls but instead they gave me the saw  :D  ;D  
it was a MS210, i talked to the owner and we agreed that he sells the saw and i get 400$ of shop credit. I am thinking selling my 066 and go for the new 661 for next years championship

thecfarm

You did good.
The only one I see is at Fryeburg,ME. They do the felling one with an ax. Some of those guys can hit their mark. Most of the "trees"have a lean to it and as just about as straight as the one pictured too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Kool 8) glad you won the saw. I'll take the girls if they can run a saw ;D.
Ed K

teakwood

I thought that i would win at falling because i did that a lot in my teakharvest but actually i failed badly, i was furious. The direction i had spot on but i layed the target 1m too far away.

These two guys did excellent 
Timbersports Costa Rica 2018 - YouTube

Vertical thinnest cookies, went second with 20mm. Both cookies together at their widest point

I did won the nicest stool contest

bushmechanic

Congrats there teakwood, you certainly led a jet setting life there 8)

teakwood

racecut, in the second cut i did change the bar angle because the sawdust was bathing my component and maybe i lost half a second, i still was the fastest cutter of the 8. sadly no clip shows both of us side by side.
There is lots of room for improvement in this competition. both cutters can't be alined, that has to change next year

3x3

HolmenTree

Awesome teakwood good job! I'm really proud of you.
Looks like you had that 660 ripping hard in the speed race and your stance shows you had good control. That was a good size log looks like about 16 inch diameter.
Nice to see Stihl and dealership involved with sponsorship. 
The 2 Stihl girl mascots were dressed nicely too. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

teakwood

Thanks Willard. 

the speedrace i did with a muffler moded 660, removed airfilter, adjusted carb, 18" ES bar and a well filed Semichisel chain, the rakers where about 0.65mm deep.
The log was around 14" and was pretty soft. normally i'm used to work with a lot harder wood.
All the other guys had stock saws, mostly 660, 460, and 382. 28-32" bars (some of them light bars). One guy came with a 088 and a 40" duromatic bar, he had no chance.  The loggers and dealers in Costa Rica don't know what moded saws are. I would love to have a ported saw, just for show effects.
One young guy had just a 361 and he ask me if he can use my 660 in the speed race. as i was competing before him i told him of course but he had to use his own b/c.  He did a fast first cut but did bad on the second upper cut and lost the race.

Raider Bill

I've been to La Fortuna 3 times to see the volcano. All 3 times it was socked in by clouds.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

samandothers

Thanks for sharing the story and videos!  Congratulations National Champ! 8)

teakwood

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 05, 2018, 08:39:11 AM
I've been to La Fortuna 3 times to see the volcano. All 3 times it was socked in by clouds.
That's normal!  I have been there about 10 times and have seen the volcano cloudless once. you often see the volcano half, but without the smallest cloud it's just 10days a year. Arenal was the biggest tourist attraction in CR but the volcano extincted around 2014.
EXCELENTES IMAGENES del VOLCAN ARENAL - Fortuna Costa Rica - YouTube

caveman

Congratulations on the win - National Champion. Pura vida.  Costa Rica is a beautiful country. 

The one thing that perplexes me is the lack of safety gear for the chainsaw competitors.  When we were there four summers ago, I noticed all of the folks running string trimmers along the roadways were decked out in what I considered to be an excessive amount of safety gear for running a string trimmer, especially in a climate that warm.  Based on that observation, I would have assumed that chainsaw operators would be armored to the teeth.

Caveman

teakwood

Your correct, they use the eye protection because it's absolutely necessary and most of them use some sort of apron so they don't get too dirty. There are also some plant fluids which itch extremely.  I don't see much who uses ear protection and on every trimmer in CR the safety guard for the string is removed!
This safety gear you get for free by every trimmer purchase. On a chainsaw we get gloves, earmuffs and googles, but nobody seems to use them .

Very few stores sell chaps (100$), maybe its just too much money in there eyes.  
Heck, for the pfanner pants i use (300$) they can buy almost half a chainsaw. So why spend such amount of money for pants if they already worked 10 years without a mayor incident. ???

Skeans1

Congratulations on your win, here's an idea for a build for your next race saw http://www.madsens1.com/pa_hayden.htm

thecfarm

Chaps,I went 20 years without a major accident. I wear them now. Just never know when you will need them. I did not put them on once and hit my leg with the saw. Nothing bad,but it could of been.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

olcowhand

Congratulations, Teakwood.
And we know you're a proud Stihl user; no body had to force you to use them!
Great job!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

teakwood

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 05, 2018, 11:56:48 PM
Congratulations on your win, here's an idea for a build for your next race saw http://www.madsens1.com/pa_hayden.htm
Thanks for the link, very informative!

Thank You Sponsors!