iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the forum, looking for literature for a 230

Started by Kamlander, June 06, 2018, 10:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamlander

I have been browsing the forum over the last few months as a guest but finally signed up as I just purchased my first machine.  Massive amounts of information and knowledge on this forum!

I have ran a neighbors old TJ240 for the last couple years but decided it was time to buy my own toy considering that i have always wanted one.  I just plan to work the machine on my own property hauling firewood, and maintaining my leisure trails.   

I found a thread about purchasing manuals from the Deere library dated back in 2015 " https://techpubs.deere.com/  " but after quite a few efforts when i search for 230, its primarily combines, chainsaws and compact tractors?  Anyone have any advice to offer when searching for operator and service manuals?  Fortunately the machine came with the operator and full service manual for the 353 engine.  

The name plate by your right calf  in the cab is missing and all that is left is a number stamped into the steel  beside it.  The top numbers are "5348" and the ones below it are "791631" .   I have read on this site that sometimes the first two numbers can indicate the year?  Also read that its not always the case, hoping someone can chime in so i can order the correct literature when i come across it.  There is no designation on any sub-model following 230 on the hood, (D,E,etc).  I was told by the seller that he thought it was a 78'  

It runs great, almost everything works as it should.   I just have to replace a blown brake line today, fix an exhaust leak, eventually get the steering cylinder resealed due to a small weep, and definitely a much needed paint job!.   Tires are just skins but the chains make up for it.   The previous owner used it for moose hunting on his lot, and trail maintenance.  Figured he hauled 20 or so trees in the 15 years he owned it and he kept up on all the regular fluid changes.

Looking forward to cleaning this thing up and getting some hours on it.   Thanks for the add!  

OntarioAl

Eaton axles that's a good sign.
Is it an automatic transmission?
Al
Al Raman

Kamlander

Yup it's got the automatic in it, that takes a bit of getting used to when I keep going to grab the shifter and push in the clutch !   

teakwood

nice machine, looks like you have some TLC to do
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Kamlander

She's rusty , but trusty ! ( I hope at least anyways ).   
 I was a painter at work previously , so a little restoration project excites me.   

Remle

JD appears to keep a couple of different parts locations, go to any JD parts site, don't worry about signing in. Just put the " 230 " in the model number and two catalogs should come up.

230 - 200-SERIES (Timberjack < 2000) - tj_0010 230 - SKIDDER, LOG
230 - 200-SERIES (Timberjack < AA) - tj_0011

• JDParts: Homepage - John Deere
    jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts...
    John Deere Parts Catalog This search option allows you to view part numbers and diagrams for your model.

You can try clicking on the above site information, it may work ???

Kamlander

Thanks for the help Remle, i searched that site for a bit this morning and several 230 models show up but once you continue through the links there are "no results" for parts on every 230 model i clicked on.    

I dug around more and surprised that Deere has so many variations for literature on the web, definitely not easy to navigate unless you know what site to go to.    I found this one that seems to be on the right track ;

John Deere Bookstore

however the original link i found on this forum produced nothing   

John Deere Technical Information Store 

Once i figure out what manuals to order from the first link ill post my findings in case anyone else is looking for literature.   Thanks for the help guys

Neilo

Yes, it's a 1978

It is a D series. The model will be a 230GAE or 230GAEEX

You will have more luck searching for manuals by 200 instead of 230

jwilly3879

I purchase both the operator and service manual for our 240A as downloads from the Deere site. Need to search for 200 series as suggested before.

Kamlander

Thanks for the info guys, helps a lot.   One question before I order the manual , mine being an automatic - There are two options for owners manual.   They list one for "230D auto". And where normally serial numbers would be listed by range it states "230D all with series powershift trans".     Might be a stupid question but is that what they called my transmission or was that a newer or different model ?    

Neilo

So what are the options? As far as I know, it was referred to as powershift but obviously is an auto. Look at the preview pages of the manual, might give you more details.

Kamlander

Quote from: Neilo on June 08, 2018, 03:21:55 AM
So what are the options? As far as I know, it was referred to as powershift but obviously is an auto. Look at the preview pages of the manual, might give you more details.
I tried to post this last night while at work, but could not figure out how to from my phone so i had to wait until this morning while i was on my computer at home.   I just dont want to order both if there is just overlapping material or if one is a totally different new model.   Thanks again for all the help.

62oliver

Hey kamlander are you paying for those manuals? I have them for my 240E in PDF, I think they cover 230 too if I recall, pm me your email and I'll try to send them to you. The guy I bought my skidder from just emailed them to me so I should be able to.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Neilo

bushmechanic

That's great that you took the plunge and got your own skidder! The 230's were reliable machines here for years. I never saw an auto one though. What's the lever in the far left of the dash for, never saw that either.

Kamlander

Quote from: bushmechanic on June 08, 2018, 06:58:23 PM
That's great that you took the plunge and got your own skidder! The 230's were reliable machines here for years. I never saw an auto one though. What's the lever in the far left of the dash for, never saw that either.
The far left lever is for Aux things , the blade actually has some pre drilled holes and there's a cover on the left of the machine cowl with two hydraulic fittings that are capped off.  My guess is someone had a blade piler on there ?   If you look at the front grill it's almost got what looks like an underbite?? Haha.  Guessing for clearance for the Piler?   I can think of a few things to put up front off that blade!   Thanks again everyone for all the advice.   This forum Is loaded with helpful information.    As I clean the old girl up I'll update photos.  

Mountain_d

I have a 230E that is supposed to be a 1978 with Ser number 790496. Mine is a standard with a Cummins 4B engine (not sure if came originally with a Cummins or Detriot?). Yours looks very much like mine. Your grill is a little different, but other than that very similar. 
Mountain. 
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Thank You Sponsors!