iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rebuilding a 1920s American #1, looking for picture and advice

Started by nate1590, June 08, 2018, 12:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nate1590

Hello all,
I am nearing completion of my rebuild of an early 1920s or maybe older American #1. I am looking for a picture of someones setworks, specifically how the gears and pawls are setup to the pull lever. I will post pictures if people a re interested, I set it up with a 16 foot carriage, I have 4 headblocks with 3 different dog styles, and the variable belt feed. I will be powering it with a 292 Chevy straight 6. I would love to hear from people who have or have run this mill, and pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help you can offer.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nate1590

Thank you. I think I have figured out how the Setworks work. I have an old catalog and have found some other uploads online with pictures that show how the levers actuate. I will continue to post pictures as I get it up and running. I have all the parts to get the engine running, and am still working on sourcing a governor, not a lot of old equipment hanging around where I live with one.

bandmiller2

Nate, you have done a good job restoring your mill. I will make some comments in no particular order. Old handset circular mills are basically the same regardless of brand in fact most have a collection of parts from several different mills. You will want to protect your wooden parts with something like Thompsons water seal. Circular mills are fussy about adjustments and wood that swells with moisture will not help matters. A good below frost foundation will save you many problems in the future. Any decent mill deserves a roof over its head. You have a very common Heacock feed which is a good one but requires the right belts and the right length. If you have the old ones to measure it makes it easier. A fella I know has run his mill for years with a Chevy six, as you know a governor is important. I have never done it but they say a cruse control will do the same thing. Running a circular mill is like learning to ride a bicycle you just have to do it, a spill or two are expected. Theirs a lot of information on forums most is good. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

glendaler

Nice job, looks great, I look forward to a running video.
Belsaw A10 circle mill,

Thank You Sponsors!