iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which sprocket for 372xp?

Started by mike_belben, June 08, 2018, 12:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

ive just done a crankcase swap on a 372xp that i bought in a slightly crushed state years back and revived. It runs great and is only missing the clutch and sprocket system.  My primary firewood saw finally scored the jug and i need to put this one into service.. Ive never had a 372.  Itll wear a 24" bar and cut hardwood up to 30" on the stump and ground.

What sprocket.. 7, 8 or 9?  3/8 pitch.  Jug is stock, carb limits are clipped and ill add another muffler port pretty soon. 
Praise The Lord

sablatnic

3/8 pitch 7t. 
And good luck with a great saw!

Southside

Mine wears a 24" bar with a 7 tooth sprocket - never misses a beat, love the thing.  Last year I went to square chisel skip chain mostly because I found some cheaper - best move I made, took an awesome saw and made it even better.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

No kidding.. I expected to hear 8 or 9.. Think my 395 wears a 9.. Will hafta look.  

Is there just not enough torque to dog in with the 8?
Praise The Lord

Southside

I suspect she has the torque, might be more to do with the sweet spot and how high she likes to rev - just my guess.  Runs nothing like my old 660 used to, that had a lower sweet spot.   
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Gearbox

I just put a 8 on a 2075 . Haven't had it on the processer yet so we will see what that extra tooth does . 2075 turns way less RPM's than a 372 .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

ehp

7 tooth, lots of guys run a 8 tooth but if your chain is cutting and in normal bigger hardwood the 7 tooth is faster and less strain on the motor

mike_belben

Welp, i guess ill order the 7 then.  Thanks boys.  
Praise The Lord

ButchC

An 8 tooth is kinda fun if your running a 20" bar doing work that can be done with a 346 or 550 but for most work a 7 tooth is probably the best  choice. I have an 8 on my 576  but it would like a 7 when  using all of the 25" bar.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

mike_belben

I have a jar full of rim sprockets but it hasnt turned up yet since the move.  ordered a chinesium 7 kit last night.
Praise The Lord

teakwood

Quote from: ButchC on June 09, 2018, 07:49:44 AM
An 8 tooth is kinda fun if your running a 20" bar doing work that can be done with a 346 or 550 but for most work a 7 tooth is probably the best  choice. I have an 8 on my 576  but it would like a 7 when  using all of the 25" bar.
Totally agree with you ButchC

I have no experience with the 372, but for a 70cc saw i would also recommend a 7 tooth 

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

knuckledragger

Im in agreement with the responses. I run a "24 bar&chain on my 372xp with a 3/8 7 sprocket and I cant imagine using anything other than that. Im certain you will be pleased as well.

Skeans1

Normally I'll run an 8 pin sprocket on the 372 with a 32" semi skip chisel if it's setup right it'll sing if it's like factory you'll need a 7.

mike_belben

7pin came in.. I am officially in love with 372XP.  It is perfect. 

Praise The Lord

hedgerow

I have a buddy with a 372 with a 7 pin and runs a 24 bar on it most of the time and it is a great running saw in hardwood like hedge and locust. 

Southside

There is something special about that saw for sure.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Little tip that may help someone else.  The coil in this 372 quit today.. It was sorta smashed.  New oem is about $70 but the husky 350 and thus jonsered 2150/2152 etc swapped right on, i have a crate full of blown up 350s.  Crisis averted. 
Praise The Lord

Maine logger88

Yeah I believe there the same from a 340 up to a 390. Only difference is some are rev limiting and some are not. I think blue is limited and black is non limited 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mike_belben

I took a blue off and put a black on. 

Did some searching and it looks like youre right.  Btw i did have to keep the 372 plug wire.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!