iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable sawmill stolen

Started by DPatton, June 08, 2018, 12:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

With my mill currently parked out at the farm about 20 miles from my home I have been nervous about someone messing with or potentially even stealing my mill. Now I do take some precautions to make it more of a challenge for someone to mess with or even steal it. I typically remove the band, remove the key, place a large log on the deck and centering the head over that log so it cant just be rolled off and place the loader arms in the down position.  

Yesterday I decided to invest in a hitch locking system and get it installed on the mill for added security. I purchased a well known manufactures hitch locking set from TSC. It comes with a 5/8" receiver hitch locking pin for your receiver hitch, a 1/4" locking pin for the thumb flip device on your trailer hitch, and a locking mechanism that goes into the ball portion of a trailer hitch capping the end of the trailer hitch itself. These items are all keyed alike for convenience.

Like a dummy I didn't open it at the store and check its quality. After all it is a trusted name product. Sooooo I just paid my 60+ dollars and took the package to the farm so I could install it on my mill.

The pic below is of the two devices installed on my hitch. 

Now I knew going into this purchase that the locking bolt on the thumb device was only a deterrent for most thieves but I had high hopes that the capping device would make most thieves think twice. After installing it on my mill's hitch I'm unconvinced that the capping device is worth more than about two wooden nickels as I'm fairly confident that I could simply pry it off with a small 16" prybar or knock it off in three whacks or less with a 20 oz. claw hammer. Long story short my lesson learned. I guess I can always return it and get my money back. 

More importantly my question to all of you here at the forum is what types of locking devices you guys have found that will make a 2" ball type hitch a much more difficult target for most thieves. I want to purchase a device that will offer a higher level of protection than this one. I also want to hear what you guys do that I'm not already doing to keep your mill form being targeted. 
Thank you for your suggestions.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Larry

I assume your 1600 is the same as my 2000.

Really nice not to have to walk around the tongue while changing bands.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

millwright

That's one of the bad things about a portable mill. Sometimes their a little too portable

mike_belben

Cast yourself a mafia block with a big old dumptruck leaf spring stack upside down and rebar'd into it through the eyelets.  Chain to said mafia block with big kryptonite cable and a bolt cutter resistant lock.  Keep a sign on the block that says "Dear scumbag, there are 3 deer cameras pointed at my saw.  Can you find them before i find you?  The clock starts when i hear your grinder."

These days 18v cutoff tools make it possible to get through this but a cutoff grinder at night is a pretty odd sound.  I know id be pretty jumpy throwing a train of sparks and chop saw noise into the night, feeling like id be likely to get clubbed from behind as i worked.
Praise The Lord

Hilltop366

Reminds me of a story a friend told me about helping a older guy cut firewood one year, they were using a hand saw and my friend said " this would go a lot faster if I had brought my chainsaw" to which the old feller replied " this saw makes enough noise for were we are".

Dave Shepard

18v bandsaws don't make much noise, and will cut hardened locks, or most anything else.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

Well - you have a 12V battery on the system, isolate/insulate any steel that touches the ground when you leave. Put a micro switch under the locking arm held by the new fangled anti theft devices you just bought, the switch goes first to a hidden kill switch, so you don't taze yourself, then onto a capacitor which is wired to the hitch of the mill.  When Sticky fingers Sam does break off the locking mechanism and lifts the hitch release so he can hook it to his truck the capacitor, which instantly dumped into the hitch, causes Sam to flop around looking like the "Don't Taze me dude" guy as he is the only path to ground.  Meanwhile your 12V battery recharges the capacitor so if he decides to try again, well this time his hair curls.  For sure have a hidden trail cam with video on it so the incident can go viral.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

wesdor

I have a motorcycle wheel lock on my trailer. So far it has been safe, but several years ago someone stole my wood splitter one night. Never recovered it. 

Hopefully the wheel lock will keep most casual thiefs away. 

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

I have an Abus motorcycle chain that fits through the mast and around the main tube, locking the head to the front of the mill. Cost about $250. But I haven't used it in years, just use a 5/16 chain and padlock instead when I leave the mill because I forget to bring it.  I don't often leave the mill only if it seems like a very safe spot.  I take the fuel tank with me. More worry about vandalism than anything else.  Actually I don't worry about it at all. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sawguy21

If thieves want it bad enough they will find a way to defeat security systems. You could block it and take the wheels with you, I see a lot of rental equipment on job sites immobilized this way. The Denver boot The Denver Boot is used by law enforcement agencies and seems pretty effective. Do what you can and carry adequate insurance.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

Southside

I am sure it would be a great video but, unless the voltage was enough to totally incapacitate him or set off enough highly audible alarms in the area, I would lay you odds that the video would, after the hilarious initial electrical shock, also show Sticky fingers Sam thoroughly destroying your mill.

Not to say any measure we use to thwart a theft may also prompt vandalism to the mill. I figure we do what we can to just make it so inconvenient and so much effort SF Sam just decides it is not worth the effort, time and risk.

I worked closely with our security manager in western Africa hardening our homes there to prevent theft and violence to our employees and the main concept we followed was to make it easier to break in somewhere else.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Some have switched the 2" ball hitch to a pintle hook hitch!

That would be a deterrant, but not 100% fool-proof!

About two years there was a Forestry Forum member who had his "virtually" new mill stolen from a secured building, behind a locked gate!  I don't believe the mill was ever recovered!

I don't think there are any "absolutes", just deterrants!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

WV - not arguing your point, but 12V through a capacitor can lay you on the ground for 10 minutes and make you pee your pants.  Basically it's the technology in a taser.  If he's not going to walk away after that, short of being there you are not going to stop him.  A pepper device would be as effective and non lethal as well.  If a guy is going to steal from me, he is going to have to do it the old fashioned way - he is going to earn it is my philosophy.    

A guy could even add a remote cell notification device, they are used a lot on irrigation systems both to let you know something is wrong and if a theft is happening given the amount of copper wire many have integrated into them. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Skipper11A

DPatton, you know you have to take the sawmill home with you, right?  Are you asking for permission to keep it 20 miles away from you?  You're nuts. If you leave it on the farm alone it will be stolen.  End of story....but you already know the end of the story which is why you are taking "anti-theft" tactics.  Just take the sawmill home with you, every time! 

WV Sawmiller

Southside,

I understand and would love to see even more severe consequences for thieves but I was just offering an opinion abut human nature. I like the member's avatar statement about a backhoe and 40 acres but I digress. Most places I leave mine it is very secure - but that does not stop me from worrying.
Howard Green

Alberta Wolf

Sorry to hear about the theft of mill :(.Park the mill in the grass and leave some harrows laying teeth up.You'd find them fast cause they would have 4 flat tires.Police would say that is against the law.But it also helps harrows from sticking in the ground and it protects them also. ;) But don't forget you put them in front of the mill.I know thieves have more rights than we who looses things.So invest in a backhoe also.It deters them when they seen a sign reading " I own a backhoe and know allot of place for you thieves...."Enuff said . ;D I also gotten things stolen to avail cause Tim Hortons is more important than finding them scum.So I know how you feel.Signs and harrows laying ing the grass works wonders. ;) :D.

Satamax

I don't know if it could be used here. 

But one real pain in thieves attempts is the master hockey puck padlock and hasp. 

Even more if you can weld the hasp. 

https://www.peerlessdoorlocks.com/roundpadlocks.html

There is other creative ways to use these too. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Peter Drouin

Put the hitch in the truck when you go.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I regularly remove locks at a mini-storage facility and my 18v grinder with a cut-off wheel will easily take care of any lock or security device.

I regularly leave my sawmill at locations and have never worried about it.  Ain't nobody gonna bother to steal this sawmill.  If they do it would be easier for them to saw the log first.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

Quote from: Alberta Wolf on June 09, 2018, 02:08:13 AM
Sorry to hear about the theft of mill :(.
Alberta Wolf.
The mill wasn't actually stolen (at least not yet ;)) that's just how I titled the post to get you all to read it. Sorry if it mislead you.
Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I really like the removable tongue and hitch idea ??? but I sure don't think my mill is built that way. Now you guys have got me wondering if I'm just that unobservant ::) ::)? I'm going to feel pretty silly for asking these questions if it does.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Brad_bb

I use a megahitchlock.  The current one is at least 2 revisions past the first one I bought.  So they seem to always be looking to improve it.
MegaHitch Lock Coupler Vault Pro Testing - YouTube
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Larry

Quote from: DPatton on June 09, 2018, 09:07:22 AMI really like the removable tongue and hitch idea ??? but I sure don't think my mill is built that way. Now you guys have got me wondering if I'm just that unobservant ::) ::)? I'm going to feel pretty silly for asking these questions if it does.
Your safe as I made the removable tongue.  I would guess most fabrication shops could make the same mod in four or less hours.  Might be better than some of these high priced gadgets that can be defeated.

I do have a second line of defense. I remove a wheel than put a locking lug nut on the stud so another wheel cannot be installed.  The locking lug nut fits on a custom adapter so the lug cannot be broken or sawed through.

Third line of defense is leaving logs on the mill as MM showed in his pictures.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

There are many options for wheel clamps/locks: Robot Check 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

Quote from: Brad_bb on June 09, 2018, 10:18:44 AM
I use a megahitchlock.  The current one is at least 2 revisions past the first one I bought.  So they seem to always be looking to improve it.
MegaHitch Lock Coupler Vault Pro Testing - YouTube
Brad, 
I like that lock coupler. Thanks for the suggestion. 

D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!