TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Oops - whew! everything is okay after all  (Read 661 times)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Oops - whew! everything is okay after all
« on: June 08, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
   Had a scare today sawing a big Red Oak log at the upper threshold (32") my mill can handle. I was whittling down the 30" log to something the blade would pass through and forgot how close I was to the top and raised the head past the upper limit. Went to lower it and nothing. I thought there was an upper limit stop up there (And there may be) but tried to move the head down or push it back on to track or whatever was needed. Nothing. I was seeing big dollar signs plus I had the customer and my wife standing there with the big log we had already struggled to get off the trailer and on to the mill. The light bulb went on (or at least flickered) and I checked the 2 breakers at the bottom of the control panel. Yep, that was all it was. Reset the breaker and all was right with the world. I need to keep a defib unit near the mill for times like that to restart my heart. I guess the guys at WM knew we would do things like that and built in the protection for us. Was a scary moment though.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
Re: Oops - whew! everything is okay after all
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 06:20:25 PM »
Can you call WM electrical support when you need to use the defibrillator?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT   2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker, hydraulics everywhere), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 07:04:10 PM »
Ok I'm feeling better about myself.

Last week I had the Simple Set  set up to to cut 6/4.  Got down near the bottom limit and hit the down one too many times.  The head bottomed out.  I went to raise it to make the final cut.  Nothing.

PANIC! Visions of $$$ and repairs.  I called my WM dealer and asked for Tyler their service guy.

He calmly told me to press the breaker.  All was good except for my ego!  :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Offline Dad2FourWI

• I love my job
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 07:48:22 PM »
LOL!!

Our egos bounce back pretty quickly.... the "big dollar" solutions hurt far worse!  :D

LT-40, LT-10, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 09:48:57 PM »
TT,

Maybe they can add it as an option. :D I am sure Mike in Indy would really love those calls.

Ted,

I probably did that on the lower limit a few times when I first got my mill but it has been a long time since I tripped one and never for raising too high. 

Dad,

Yeah, my ego has been beaten up so many times it bounces back pretty quickly. My wallet is definitely less resilient. :(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Crossroads

• lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »
Twice Ive had the head at the front of the mill and while doing some other task returned to find the head at the upper limit. The first time I panicked because it wouldnt come down. Then I found the magic button that makes life good again. Still dont know why it takes off headed for the moon without me though.......
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Whew !!!!!

Started by Fla._Deadheader on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2002, 06:52:26 PM
by Fla._Deadheader
xx
WHEW!

Started by rbarshaw on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post February 15, 2004, 03:29:56 PM
by oakiemac