TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: why is  (Read 2664 times)

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
why is
« on: June 08, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
it every time you think your going to make a few bucks things take a crap     been after this 350a job for 2 years and finally got it  moved on it last Friday worked the weekend and all week got about 5-6 load out the guy came late yesterday and took a load of ash he called me 9pm last night and said the mill don't want anymore until further notice :o >:( >:( >:( >:( so I have about 20k plus feet of ash in my way errrrrr  why the hell do they have to start enforcing laws now that they haven't enforced in 20 years 

Offline bushmechanic

• Someone else has it worse than you.
    • Share Post
Re: why is
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 07:28:55 PM »
Well coxy I see things works down your way just like it do up here. One of the contractors up here always says that there is a sensor on a harvester that knows when you got a bit of money and BANG machine down and the money has to go! 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »
it every time you think your going to make a few bucks things take a crap     been after this 350a job for 2 years and finally got it  moved on it last Friday worked the weekend and all week got about 5-6 load out the guy came late yesterday and took a load of ash he called me 9pm last night and said the mill don't want anymore until further notice :o >:( >:( >:( >:( so I have about 20k plus feet of ash in my way errrrrr  why the hell do they have to start enforcing laws now that they haven't enforced in 20 years

You and me both.  Can't move ash and at all.  Walnut had dropped 30% after that, just when I had the biggest walnut job in the east coast.  Sigh.
Sorry to hear about your large job, I have nothing that big but about that spread over 3 tracts.  
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:26:32 PM »
I suspect its foreshadowing of a pretty big market swing to come.  Tread lightly on the credit card. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:44:28 PM »
I think it has a lot to do with the fact the ground is dry and there is so much capacity to cut these days that when it gets dry the mills get slammed instantly.  As far as export goes - ie the walnut price - around here everybody is in the game now, white oak and walnut - all going into containers, so again too much supply for the demand going to that specific market, thus a natural correction. I know with walnut log prices where they were I could not buy walnut and saw it then sell the lumber at a profit very often so I stopped buying any, price comes back to reasonable, then I will buy again. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 07:11:37 AM »
Coxy,

which mill are you selling to?

D

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »
found a mill that will buy all the ash I can send  :-\   I will try them with a couple load and see how they do  they are debarking it and stuffing it  China bound    

Offline Matt601

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 08:16:14 AM »
Man I hear you. Last month has been so dry the big loggers are flooding the mills. Im lucky that there are a lot of mills around where I live. I had to switch from pine saw log to pine pulpwood to hardwood pulpwood back to pine. Every morning at 8 am calling the mills to see where I can sell it. Cant get too many loads on the ground because scared mills will not take it. I can run with my little tractor in winter hope for some wet weather soon.
No matter where you go there you are!!!

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 09:27:47 AM »
When its dry and theres rows of timber piled high, the stick tightens up and ties start going into 3common.  When its been raining every few days all month and i pull into an empty lot, the same load will be tie and 1common,  avg 10cents a foot better. 

The decision to keep my swamp dozer, fix it and put on a winch is based on this.  I aim to only be a logger when logs are in demand.  Ive kept a section of my site shaded for log storage, close to one of the ponds.  Figure i can pile em up and hose em down if i have to wait it out and do something else.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 09:37:54 AM »
Not really in big mills up here in N Va but it has been wet wet, 20" of rain in the last 30 days.  
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 09:42:02 AM »
We had torrential rains for about 10 days that ended a week ago.  Yesterday i dug up a whole lift of clay i put down that just wont dry underneath in a spot where that monsoon puddled and was absorbed.

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »
What we think of as dry and what the big guys consider dry are two different things.  With the rubber or tracks on equipment these days combined with clear cuts that never require running over the same ground twice it only takes about a day or two of sun after massive rains to be wide open running.  A guy who was working down the road a bit left his pickups here on the weekends for safe keeping, his off road fuel bill is $10K / week, then there is the truck fuel, equipment payments, employees...Guess he has to run that way to make it work.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »
He can keep it. 

Offline Matt601

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 04:43:40 PM »
Here in south west MS when its wet winter the big guys cant get in the swamps to cut 250 loads a day. When there working the hills they can only get a 100 loads a day the swamp drys out is flat most are running 6 to 8 grapple skidder with cuttters ahead of them. In the hills they cant used there cutters as much and have to winch some. True wet to some not wet to others but when the swamps get wet its wet for everyone.

There 4 guys that run bobtail trucks around me. We been talking about getting with the mills under contract for the group. Cut some of there spotty land they have here and there at less we know a week ahead of time where we going to take it.
No matter where you go there you are!!!

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 08:00:59 PM »
Around here we had the second wettest May on record. We were lucky here that most of the rains were gentle soaking rains and no flooding. 
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 10:46:08 PM »
 I was cut off for 4 days shipping ash, back to stuffing containers again. Its Doyle scale but an "average load" is paying .90 cents right now. Ash prices aren't going down, dont buy into the speculation, or at least let's hope they hold another 90 days so I can unload all of mine 🤣
  I'm watching the shift here to mechanical and its happening quick. The guys who truck my redpine just bought 2x new Cat 522s and new timberpro's, another guy is just down the road from me smashing 4mil ft of spruce like it's going out of style. None of these bids coming out for the state or private are small anymore and they want them done quick. I just scooped up 280acres down the road from the house, the lot next door went out to bid was cut by one of the big mills and they got exactly what was in the contract 🤣 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 11:14:54 PM »
Who picks up the tab for the container and freight?  Does the buyer contract an intermodal truck to drop at your site or do they wait for you to load or..  Does it vary job to job?

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 06:19:53 AM »
Word on the street is that China is enforcing fumigation requirements on log imports as of appx May1. It's caused a ripple in the export chain and one of my sources says that they have gone to almost an exclusively export business to ZERO exports to China.

Logs piling up. He suspects temporary effect, but surplus logs equals less buying, lower prices, etc.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
I guess they dont want their bugs back.

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 09:45:14 AM »
 I'm bringing the logs down to a buyer and they are filling them in their yard. This last hiccup with ash had nothing to do with the bug, China got mad a couple weeks ago with the steel tariff and wouldn't let a bunch of ships in, the one I'm selling to had 78 containers full of ash. The EAB is right down the road, it's all dying, I'm near Albany working right now and its 1/2 dead, there wont be a single stick left in a few weeks. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter