The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Cutting the control box wiring on LT40 to create a stationary operating station  (Read 717 times)

Offline DGK

• Share Post
Hello All,

I am on to my next after the next modification to the LT40. The plan is to cut the wiring to the control box to relocate the control box to a mount off of the hitch similar to a command control. I use the dragback and will add guide fingers etc. I am thinking that a few multi-pin connectors (canon plugs) should work. One set in the walk-along standard position, the other, on an extension cable mounted overhead to the front of the mill. No need for a cat track. My goal is to be able to return the mill to a walk-along should I need to.

Any thoughts or feedback is always greatly appreciated.

PS, this mod will be done after the new 38hp engine arrives at the end of the month  to replace the 28 that I currently have.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G28 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus , Bobcat S185, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
Sounds like a great mod! If your LT40 is not equipped with relays for your up/down and feed motors, I would install them(easy with diagrams). The skinny wire in the connectors you plan on using might not take the current the motors need to function properly... Once you get it done,(stationary mod), you will love it. From a production standpoint, the stationary and dragback features of my mill are a must if you wanna be alive at the end of a high volume day....Of course, you will need a way to deal with all the boards/flitches/waste in a timely fashion....one mod begats another mod begats another mod begats....you get bmy drift ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline DGK

• Share Post
Hi Percy,

I already have the solenoids for the power feed motor and will be installing an additional 2 solenoids for the new up/down motor when it arrives with the engine. I haven't sourced the canon plugs yet but am planning to see if I need to increase the wire gauge for the long run. As far as the material handling goes, I run a 3 person crew so it all is managed without any bottlenecks at the moment. The reason for the stationary position and the engine upgrade, is to increase the speed of the cut on the wider/longer logs as my support crew is now waiting on the saw and to be able to do other work when running only 2 of us. 
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G28 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus , Bobcat S185, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
Im not sure how many amps the blade guide arm  or debarker in/out uses but using them fairly cheap  bosch type 5 pin relays available at most parts stores have served me well over the years. Long run control current can be very minimal which works well in your situation. Pics when your doing it??
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
Sounds to me like a great idea. And should be pretty straight forward. Good luck with the mod. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing so I can afford to farm.
    • Share Post
Just be careful when you first start to operate it as a remote mill, you are liable to walk smack into the control box several times as the head begins to move away from you. Old habbits die hard. It's an embarrassing thing to do in front of a group of people.  ;)
'92 Franklin 170 grapple skidder
'92 Franklin 5000 wheeled buncher
Wicked Awesome Basset Hound * 2
JD 490D with 4 roller FabTek processer / hydraulic hose breaker
Hot wife
Wood Mizer LT35HDG25, Re-saw attachment
Official Member of the BBFC

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Sawing from a control station

Started by Larry on Sawmills and Milling

24 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 01:47:55 AM
by ScottAR
xx
Control station...start/stop switch needed

Started by Larry on Wanted

0 Replies
Last post March 25, 2006, 08:05:44 PM
by Larry