iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dirty lumber

Started by nopoint, June 16, 2018, 09:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nopoint

Any tips on cleaning dirty lumber before secondary processing. I recently aquired about 30,000 board feet of lumber that has been stickered for about 30 years in a three sided building. Overtime it has gotten kind of dusty/dirty. I see it mostly as "farm" lumber but would like to be able to use surface the nicer stuff, perhaps turn to ship lap etc. Usually when I have a few dirty boards I just wire brush them, can't see doing this for this pile. Been using the leaf blower on them as I unstack but don't think that will be sufficient. Any thoughts or ideas? At present I don't think they will be too excited when I take them in to be run through the molder. Side note any ideas on what to do with cottonwood? Anyone make it into paneling?

Southside

Do you have access to a dedicated brush machine? If not you can get 4" diameter brush heads that will fit on Woodmaster drum Sanders and will do a great clean up job.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

loganworks2

How about a brush attachment on your weed whacker. Stihl makes a good one.

nopoint

Both sound like great ideas. Now to find the time. Thanks a lot!

bandmiller2

I would think most of the dirty boards are on top and along the sides of the pile. Wire brush then use something like a fox tail to get the fine dust or your leaf blower. Probably more discolor than actual dirt. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

teakwood

X2, maybe you can clean them with the air gun
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ESFted

S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Thank You Sponsors!