The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Do PPB infest pine?  (Read 819 times)

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
Re: Do PPB infest pine?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 10:54:58 PM »
I corrected a typo in my note #18.

Does any of the literature from the manufacturer of Timbor, or do any of their instructions, suggest specifically that Timbor can be used/sprayed on freshly sawn lumber at the sawmill?  If so, do they state that several treatments should be applied, and 10% or 15%, and how long between treatments?  Why would a manufacturer not specifically mention this use in order to increase sales?  There must be a reason...legal or technical.  

I think it MIGHT be that the leaching into the soil of some of the borate chemical from the lumber in an air drying yard, leaching from rain on the lumber month after month, would create a major pollution liability, especially if the borate gets into the nearby drinking-water wells or if the runoff goes into a creek where there are fish.  Note that they do state that the product should not be used where the wood is subject to excessive rain; an air drying yard in much of the US would qualify as having exposure to excessive rain, if over 30" a year is excessive.  As mentioned, years ago we did measure this leaching in air drying when I was at Virginia Tech.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Do PPB infest pine?
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 05:19:32 PM »
What you are saying is a valid concern at some level, dose makes the poison. My soils are still testing boron deficient.

Borax has been in use as an insecticide in the United States with various restrictions since 1946. All restrictions were removed in February 1986 due to the low toxicity of borax, as reported in two EPA documents relating to boric acid and borax.
EPA has determined that, because they are of low toxicity and occur naturally, boric acid and its sodium salts should be exempted from the requirement of a tolerance (maximum residue limit) for all raw agricultural commodities

From Nissus, the manufacturers of Tim-bor;
"Works best when wood has higher moisture content"

From the Tim-bor treatment calculations spreadsheet;
"Pounds of Tim-bor needed: multiply gallons  by 1.5 for a 15% solution for a single application. A 10% solution requires 2 applications."

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter