The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

KNOW WHAT?
Between February 12, 2018 and June 18, 2018, this space displayed 13 Million, 871 Thousand and 87 times.

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Which new saw?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
Re: Which new saw?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 05:34:27 PM »
GreenerPastures, I've had the saw for about 6 months now. I've put 17- 20 tanks of fuel through it. It's turning into my go- to saw for everything except the Heavy Falling and Bucking. I like the M-tronic (or whatever the DanG term is) ignition. It starts easy no matter the temp, cold start/ hot start, and the oiler is more than adequate.
Teakwood, I (or my saw, or both of us...) must be too dumb to know that the 3/8" RS Chain is too much for that saw. Like running any saw through any wood, I let the saw tell me when I'm asking too much of it. When it does, I back off. I can't use the same cut rate on 14" Ironwood as I do for the same size maple or Beech. Any saw will tell you that. I try to keep the chain sharp and out of the rocks (not very successful there.....) and make do.
Most of you know that I'm not a pro, so I don't have to make the most out of every minute I'm on a saw (and I'll never win a Lumberjack Competition- Congrats, by the way). I got clued in to the wonders of the MS 261 CM in the same thread you did (Holmen Tree) and I respect Willard's opinion. I'm also pretty sure he's advised against putting that chain on that saw in other threads, but that's the decision I made, and I'll stand by my earlier comment. That's the best money I ever spent on a saw.
They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »
Well here is the funny thing, the Husqvarna 455 rancher comes with a 20" 3/8 bar on it and most people don't complain about its 3.5hp. Its a go to firewood saw for alot of people out there, if you go by that why couldn't a 3.75 or 4hp saw run the same 18 or 20" bar.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline Greyhound

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
Thank you for the quick replies I am seriously considering the 590 over the 261cm due to the $200 price difference.what size bar do you guys recommend for the car 590 and 261cm?....I also have a old Husqvarna 49 (1997) that runs but I believe it needs a new clutch if I can get it repaired  I would use it as a limbing saw.
18" bar is a very versatile choice for a 50-60 cc class saw.  
I semi-disagree that dealer support is critical.  I have a great local small engine shop and I will always go to him first for purchases and service.  However, in the end, if he doesn't have what I want/need, I'm cool going to bigger retailers and/or internet. 

Online teakwood

• Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 08:05:55 PM »
Good post from Joe and olcowhand.

I was just wondering if a small saw can handle the wider kerf of the 3/8" chain. The 3/8" is a lot hungrier and needs more power. Of course every saw can handle it but does the speed of the cut go to insupportable??

If it works for olcowhand then others may try it too.  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 04:39:30 AM »
Well, Teakwood- that's the thing. I respect and appreciate your experience, and don't want to promote a practice that may be detrimental to the saw. I'm happy with the combo, but I'm not a hard user of a saw.
Maybe one of these weekends, I'll get a video of some of the cuts I make on a regular basis, and let you good folks judge whether my decision was justified.
I do know that I'm very pleased with the way this saw moves chips.
They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Online realzed

• Old Fart but - I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 10:02:39 AM »
When I was shopping for a brand new saw this early Spring - I looked at and was very impressed with the newest 261CC-MII version which I eventually bought and love for the balance and lightness..  The fellow who I was asking questions of at the dealership I frequent, has sold hundreds of these types of saws to users many of whom are government forestry departmental workers who use them in their daily work. He is a hands on type of guy with saws - not just a salesman, and when I asked him if I opt'd for a 20" bar with a 3/8" RS chain, would it pull it well - and he didn't hesitate in saying "certainly". He did allow that combination would hold an edge probably better than the .325 chain that they come with and was ready to set one up with such a configuration for me - but since I currently have other saws with the .325 chain and associated sharpening equipment I ultimately went with the .325 size for convenience and less hassle.  But I do intend to get a 3/8" set up at some point in the future when I get more hours on this saw to switch it over.  HE knows saws and had absolutely no hesitation in suggesting a 3/8" deal would work well - for what it is worth.. Bottom line is: anyone can overtax any saw regardless of the chain or sprocket or powerhead - but just using some good old common sense will make a combination last or not - it's not supposed to be a race! 

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
My 455 was a very good saw but it leaked bar oil from the
oil line fitting under the saw. It seems to be a common problem.
I replaced it and even tried putting sealer around it as recommended somewhere on the net.
It still leaked.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter