iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Tree Farmer Deutz engine speed  (Read 1905 times)

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
Tree Farmer Deutz engine speed
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »
Hey all,
Could someone tell me how to turn down the engine on my tree Farmer C5D? Itís got the Deutz F5L912 engine and a Bosch fuel pump. For now Iíve set the stop screw on the accelerator pedal (at the fuel pump) but Iím out of adjustment and itís still a bit fast. I think someone cranked the fuel pressure up at some point, the motor screams like a Detroit if you put the pedal to the metal. Something will break if left that way. There must be a fuel pressure screw someplace to set the max engine speed right? 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Tree Farmer Deutz engine speed
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:40:24 AM »
Post a picture of the pump.. Or the model #
Revelation 3:20

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »
My guess is a Bosch A pump. Thatís what the duetz I tinkered on had
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 07:39:46 PM »
Itís a Bosch PES pump with and RSV governor. On the governor thereís three adjustments, one for the idle, one for the bumper spring. Third one a screw to adjust the throttle linkage travel. Iíve adjusted the linkage screw all the way out and itís still a bit too fast. Only thing I could think of was to get a longer bolt. I was hoping there was a way to turn down the pressure someplace though and avoid bottoming a screw against the pedal, I donít think thatíd last long. Maybe thatís the best I can do, figured Iíd ask. Thereís a lot of knowledge here on the forum and I bet someone knows the answer. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 07:57:39 PM »
I know the RQV fairly well but not RSV.  This the one?

This is non turbo?

PES pumps have inline orientation with plungers and barrels that rotate to meter fuel injection quantity by revealing a spill port to a helical cut in the plunger.  Full spill = shutoff and no spill = full fuel.  Your governor flyweight should be pulling back the barrel rack to reduce injection quantity when target RPM is achieved.  Either the weights are off, a spring is the wrong tension or a spring preload adjustment is outta wack.  You need less rack travel under load.  

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 07:59:35 PM »
That looks to be a tension spring in there with metal straps.  Good chance the eye of the spring has eaten into the eye in the strap and thus created a looser tension situation.  If it works like i think, that'd do it.

There is no "backing off the pressure"  on these systems.  The injector is a poppet style, i suspect either the delivery valve or injector valve will fail to pop if you were to somehow crank it down.  Youd just cause more trouble imo. 

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »
Wow, okay. Sounds like I may have some issues with that pump then and not a simple adjustment problem. Itís a non turbo 5 cylinder air cooler Deutz. Being air cooled itís a little louder than most motors but still certainly turning way up in RPM. I guess Iíll need to start by getting a tachometer on that engine and getting an exact running speed. This repair sounds like it needs a professional. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 10:19:11 PM »
Well, still there should be some sort of physical adjustment of the governors flyweight threshold.   I doubt it requires altering the weights themselves like an old auto transmission.  On RQV and dodge Ppumps there is a big plug cover and the governor has a spring for each flyweight, you rotate until you see the spring and click the preload seat tighter or looser then do other side and recap.   But i dont know the RSV procedure.  

You want a hot farm sledpuller.. Theyll know that pump.  CompetitionDiesel.com forums is a good place.  Im sure theres a dozen guys there who build em. 

But ya get the tach out first.

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 04:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Iíll give that a try. 

Offline JB Griffin

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 11:13:59 AM »
Most deutz tractors operating speed was 2100 engine rpm for 540 pto rpm, thats with the f3l912 and f4l912 and f4l913 turbo. So thats what I would shoot for as a max speed though my tractor (f4l912) goverens at 2300 or 2400 rpm, baling hay or bush hoggin I always ran it at 1900 rpm and never lacked for power and couldn't justify the the extra fuel to run it any faster.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota, 160 Prentice, Frick 2 saw gang edger, Wright W-37 ABG, Suffolk dual tooth setter, Cat claw single tooth setter,'96 F-250 7.3 PSD 4x4, CS-590 Echo, MF 20c, M681 Memo.

Over 2.5 million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator and counting.

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »
I pulled the governor off this morning and cleaned/inspected it. Nothing looks worn or out of place. Only thing I can come up with is the spring is too strong (I doubt) or what Iím really thinking based on watching how this works is the throttle linkage is wrong. I would think youíd need a throttle that has some sort of spring so when the governor resists the throttle arm it can push back and ease the fuel off. I have a direct rod from the governor to the pedal. Thereís an open hole up by the pedal where there could be such a devise missing. Does it sound like on on the right track? Iím driving past DAVCO today and theyíve got a Deutz equipped tree Farmer in the yard I can compare throttle linkage parts with to see if Iím correct. What do you think about this theory? If Iím pushing it to the metal I donít see how itís going to lift my leg up to ease the throttle back but with an indirect connection with a spring or cam I can see maybe how itíd work. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 03:36:05 PM »
Sounds reasonable.  If your foot is directly tied to the fuel rack then the foot is the governor. 

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 04:28:34 PM »
I looked at two separate Deutz equipped tree Farmer C5Dís and they were both set up the same on the throttle pedal and linkage, only exception being they used the top hole on the throttle arm and mine was using one half way down. I canít imagine thatís doing much harm but Iíll put it like the others. The only thing that really stood out at me was the throttle arms seemed to actuate easier. That would suggest they have lighter springs which may do it. I really donít know...

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 07:53:52 PM »
get your hands on a photo tach then you will know what the high idle rpm really is. where are you??

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 08:41:39 PM »
Albion, Maine

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 08:44:45 PM »
i have a photo tach. your 20 miles away

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 09:04:58 PM »
Iíve got one coming, hopefully Monday. Thank you though! Iím starting to lean towards it being this spring, itís pretty stout. Itís got yellow paint marking on it. I need to find some documents about the springs. Those little flywheel weights would have to push *DanG hard to move the lever back. The more throttle I give it the more difficult it is for the governor to push back and I think itís loosing. 

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
most pumps have a high idle screw on them. i would not take the pump apart if you dont really know all about them

Offline jdatwood

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 09:35:47 PM »
Agreed, Iím stopping there at the governor. I wouldnít dare go any further. The high idle screw can be all the way maxed out and itís still screaming but better. Iím anxious to get a tach on it and see where itís at. 

Offline Maine logger88

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't force it get a bigger hammer
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 11:38:47 PM »
I agree with snowstorm get a tach and see where itís at it may just sound like itís turning fast but actually be what itís supposed to be
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

exclamation
4 speed tranny for a C5D tree farmer

Started by pigpen on Forestry and Logging

24 Replies
Last post April 07, 2016, 07:52:41 AM
by Logger RK
xx
Tree Farmer C4D Diesel Engine??

Started by SBeange on Forestry and Logging

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 01:28:05 PM
by lumberjack48