iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making Ready

Started by Magicman, July 08, 2018, 03:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Since July 4th fell mid week, PatD & I decided on host our usual Cabin get together on the 14th this year during which we also will be having a 75th Birthday Celebration.  With the normal clipping, spraying, and bushhogging done, it was time to do the final trail work.  I didn't open up the entire 7 miles of trails but I did get at least 5 done.

The overhanging limbs need trimming plus...

There are always some larger opportunities like this White Oak that finally decided to lay down.

I whacked it into ~3' lengths but I was still glad that the Logrite tagged along.

And then there was this Honey Locust that was supposed to be standing straight.  :o

Spring rains washed the root system away allowing it to partially fall over.

Thankfully the top hung in the adjoining trees and prevented it from falling.

I say thankfully because if the tree had gone completely over I would have lost my bridge.  Notice the crack leading to the outside bridge stringer.  If that falls away I will have no support on the downstream side of the bridge.

My only option was to fell the tree and with that lean it is going to barberchair.  :o  I have no idea about whether it is hollow or not so there is no way that I will chance a bore.  I do not have access to the stream side and I certainly do not want any holding wood on that side so I reached around and sawed ~6" - 8" on the stream side.  That allowed my 20" bar to saw completely through as I sawed.  I was not able to make any kind of a notch.  I cleared my exit path, sawed a far as I could on the stream side and then proceeded to make my cut while watching the kerf.  Thankfully with the top partially supported it gave way slowly.

When it popped, I was gone!!!  When I looked back I saw that I had jumped out of my shorts and shoes.  Now dat's quick.  ;D  Oh and whataboutdatree??

Yup, she barberchaired as expected.

And the tree landed in the creek as expected.

Maybe I can use the the tractor logging winch and recover a couple of 8' logs.  They certainly would make some pretty slabs.

Now it's time to think more about dat party.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Be safe MM
That looks like a nice place
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

LeeB

I sure am glad you only took a pic of your shorts and shoes and not yourself in your skivvies. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

Good your ok, But you should get someone to show how to cut a tree like that .
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I ain't gonna cut a tree like that again and would not have cut that one had it not been for my bridge.  That being said, I have no reservations about the way I handled it. 

Lee, DanG, I forgot that I could take a selfie.  :o  Of course that picture was "tongue in cheek" because I was long gone when the tree gave way.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I had one like that and I wrapped a chain around it before felling.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KirkD

Amazing how quick he can leave after he saws them... :D
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

WDH

:D :D

He leaves em fast. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That so called stump scares me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

blackfoot griz

It apparently wasn't too scary. The shorts look fairly clean. ;D (I had to beat the goat to it!)

trapper

Look on the bright side.  Most of the firewood is already split.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

LeeB

I want to know why he was sawing with his shorts around his ankles? 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

I would have bore cut it, even if it was hollow. Shallow notch, then when you bore in the side, you at least know what you are dealing with, and how much of a problem you have. Likely get some fibre pull and an ugly looking stump, but a safer cut. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

PatD and I came back to the Cabin Thursday to do the final prep.  Grass cut, fallen limbs removed, and the trails bushhoged.  I have the scavenger hunt details worked out so this will be fun.  The weather forecast looks good for today.   :)

Magicman

We ain't cooking chicken.   :)

caveman

Happy birthday.  It looks like y'all will have a good event.  That shirt is just plain disturbing.
Caveman

Papa1stuff

Happy Birthday MM and many many more 8) 8) 8) 8)
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

trapper

Happy birthday.  Makes you even OLDER than me again for 4 months.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Pjames

Happy birthday hope you have a great one🎂🎂

samandothers

Happy Birthday MM!
Nice T.  I have matching 'belly' pack!

Gary_C

Quote from: WDH on July 09, 2018, 08:18:45 AM
I had one like that and I wrapped a chain around it before felling.
The tree or your pants?  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Texas Ranger

Happy Birthday, Lynn, your catching up!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

blackfoot griz

Happy birthday my friend!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Happy Birthday Lynn.
You have a chicken barrel I wanna see the Possum Barrel.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!