iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing wedding cookies

Started by CX3, July 20, 2018, 07:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Had a guy wanting about 25 cookies. I am going to screw a couple thick boards to the bottom of the short log. Just long enough to catch the cross beams of the mill. 

Clamp it with the log clamp. And saw away. 

Is this correct or not?
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

logs2lumber

Thats what i done a took 2   2x8 and secured the log to it and stood it up and cut them. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I cut a short log 20 inches high. Good size to handle.
I have a piece of plywood I lay on the bed then stand the 20 inch log on the plywood.

I have a groove sawn out on the plywood that allows the clamp to move into the log and hold it.
This is a gig I put up and save and use again.
I have a 2 x 6 between the backstops and the log so the log will clamp.

Make adjustments as necessary and make them cookies.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Lawg Dawg

Try this simple jig I cut hundreds of them :)

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

YellowHammer

There isn't any wrong way to do it as long as it works.   :D

We used to saw them by the pallet full, literally and sold to wedding planners. Now we use the chainsaw.  However we make them, we sell them for $5 each, so every time the saw makes a cut I'm thinking "There's five bucks, there's another five bucks, there's another five bucks, there's another five bucks, there's another five bucks.   :D :D

Here's a video we made:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=94vRxlxdA4I
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I sell cookies for $5 each unless they are 20" or so, then I get $10. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DR_Buck

I don't understand this wedding cookie thing.    I never heard of it anywhere except here on the forum and a sawmilling facebook page.     In all my years I've never been to a wedding that had them.  What are they actually used for and where did this idea originate?    
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: DR_Buck on July 21, 2018, 12:18:24 PM
I don't understand this wedding cookie thing.    I never heard of it anywhere except here on the forum and a sawmilling facebook page.     In all my years I've never been to a wedding that had them.  What are they actually used for and where did this idea originate?    
They use them for centerpieces on the tables at tthe reception, and various other things. Just search for WEDDING WOOD COOKIES on Pintrest!
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

CX3

You Better Believe It!

SawyerTed

Decided to try it as well!  Put them on Facebook Marketplace 2 hours ago.

If you have outdoor wedding venues, it wouldn't hurt to let them know you can cut cookies.

Someone is coming to buy all I cut!

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

They sell like "Hot cakes".
Contact wedding planners, wedding venues especially the barn venues, and wedding photographers, bridal gown shops, etc.  

Then start sawing pallets of them.  We would stack about 4 foot high on a 4x4 pallet, wrap them with the cling film, and load them on the trailer and   "Here ya go."

Here's what they look like in a wedding.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WDH

I did not have cookies at my wedding :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nomad

WDH, those cookies were still seedlings way back then. ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

43 years ago they was just sprouts.  :) :)

woodmills1

I cut wedding cookies all the time, but my favorite was a varied order for cookies and small diameter log sections to make an elaborate display for a boy scout eagle induction party.  
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jmouton

i didnt have them at my 2 weddings either wdh,  wont have them at my 3rd either,,cuz there wont be a 3rd
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

CX3

Do you guys ever get the feeling that you know someone well but have never met them? I feel I have good friends here and don't even know your name lol
You Better Believe It!

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

teakwood

Absolutely true!! Nice to be part of the FF family
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

SawyerTed

Quote from: CX3 on July 25, 2018, 09:30:42 PM
Do you guys ever get the feeling that you know someone well but have never met them? I feel I have good friends here and don't even know your name lol
:D My name is Ted. :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

paul case

I think you do know my name and if you cant remember it just call me your name.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

kelLOGg

Nobody is talking about cracks forming in the cookies. How do you handle that? Saw the day of the wedding? They are easy to saw but difficult to keep from cracking in my experience. 
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

YellowHammer

That's what we did, have the wedding planner pick them up a day or two before the wedding.  No different than picking up the flowers or the cake.  
YellowHammerisms:

kelLOGg

There's something in me that wants cookies to be as permanent as furniture but some things I just can't have. Thinking of them as flowers or cake is a more realistic concept that gets everybody on the same page with realistic expectations. Thanks for that mind changer.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: kelLOGg on July 27, 2018, 01:20:48 PM
Nobody is talking about cracks forming in the cookies. How do you handle that? Saw the day of the wedding? They are easy to saw but difficult to keep from cracking in my experience.
Bob
I've had good luck with cedar, maple, gum for cookies.  I had some poplar here a couple days ago that had split wide open...when the people come, who were getting married, they bought every cracked cookie I had...said they loved that look  :laugh: I have cut them the day before, but this year I have transitioned to cut them and have them stacked in the barn ready to go.  Actually you could have a whole "store" full of rustic wedding wood supplies ;D 

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

tawilson

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on July 20, 2018, 09:18:31 PM

Try this simple jig I cut hundreds of them :)

I went and stole your jig idea. Worked like a charm. Thanks.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Peter Drouin

I get $5 for them too, But, like WDH bigger is more $$
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Leigh Family Farm

And another marketing idea goes into the sawmill business journal I keep. "Wedding Cookies"...

Do you have to put a label on them "not for human consumption"?  :D  
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Lawg Dawg

This is a better look at my jig. Just a piece of 1x12 witha notch for the 2 plane clamp and a 1x4 screwed to that (from the bottom!). The1x4 has a V sawed in it to cradle the round log ;)

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

SawyerTed

Lawg Dawg's jig is also good for clamping those short logs a customer brings in the trunk of their Nissan (aka chunks of firewood from grandma's pecan tree).  Don't ask me how I know. 

Peter Drouin

Quote from: SawyerTed on August 06, 2018, 07:57:56 PM
  Don't ask me how I know.
:D :D :D :D :D I know too. :D :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

TimW

Or you can take it a step further.

I made them years ago for Christmas presents.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

etroup10

We had cookies at our wedding for center pieces and i used them to make some cupcake stands that turned out pretty well!!! I can't find a picture of the center pieces. I also used some of my slabs for on top of the barrels(under the cupcake stands) 

NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Ianab

Lil was reading the thread and said to me.
What about smaller cookies for early childhood centres? This is smaller pieces (from limbs?) that the youngsters can play with. They line them up, count them, stack them etc. 

It's called "loose parts play" where the kids are basically given boxes of various things to just play with. Can be sticks, rocks, beads etc. Little kid size cookies of some nice durable wood seem to fascinate them. 

Slice up a couple of dozen smaller cookies on a band saw, bundle them in a mesh bag, and sell them for $10 a bag?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Resonator

A couple years ago I was logging and cut this off a hollow poplar log. As a Joke, I told a friend of mine to give it to his fiance' on Valentines day. I saw on a recent visit that she still has it proudly displayed by their front door. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

PC-Urban-Sawyer

If you had a steady supply of those you could make enough money to retire early...

Herb

Resonator

Good, I know I've got a few more dead hollow trees.  I'll start searching for more shaped like hearts. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I actually had this on the market for a while but quickly found out
I could make more money in the long run renting it out for Weddings.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!