iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking the fifth wheel around Michigan’s upper peninsula

Started by DPatton, July 29, 2018, 11:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

I will say that the gps has made driving in unfamiliar places much easier. And a big plus is that it has put a stop to many trips ending up in heated debates between me and my wife when she tries to do the navigating while I drive :) :)  (doubt if any of you know what I mean ;) ). However the big downside is that it doesn't help me learn an unfamiliar area like reading a map does. Seems like once I navigate an area once or twice with a map I remember and retain the information much better.

The Nelson Dewey State Park was a nice campground albeit a little tight for maneuvering our camper. Jesse and I hiked a couple of short trails that overlooked the river. Then grilled cheeseburgers over a wood fire for our last evening meal of the trip.

Saturday morning we were on the road at 8:00 am with somewhere around seven hours of driving to do to get home. Needless to say it was the typical long day on the road when your on the last leg home. We arrived home Saturday late afternoon tired from the drive, but happy to be home as usual.

It was a enjoyable trip and I want to thank Furby, Shotgun, and all the other forum members who gave sound advice on things to see and do in the U.P.

We drove 2426.5 miles through six different states. We stopped and fueled a total of twelve times (some were more bathroom stops than fuel stops) totalling 295.41 gallons of gas at an average price of $3.238 per gallon. (Didn't I say we were going to burn some serious fossil fuels in one post ?)  We got to see and swim (or at least wade) in three of the Great Lakes. Jesse and I had our first kayaking adventure together. We rediscovered how easily Stephanie gets motion sickness on the Mackinac Ferry and the Miss Munising :D :D. I learned what a white cedar tree looks like and really started to understand just how different trees and especially bark looks in different areas of the country. I ate my first pasty's, boiled peanuts, and blueberry wafflecone ice cream. We watched the Soo Lock lift a 780' long freighter twenty one feet. We saw beautiful waterfalls, small streams, majestic rivers, and a unbelievably clear freshwater springs. We also got the chance to meet a whole bunch of really great people at the Pig Roast.

Thanks for reading.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

It's good to read that you and your family had a good trip and made it home safely.  move_it

We enjoyed meeting you, Stephanie, & Jesse and also sharing the "pig" duties.  Since this one is a wrap, we can start making plans for next year.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

That's the Round Island Lighthouse across from Mackinaw Island managed by the Hiawatha National Forest. I put the first USFS sign there and made the first management plan for it in 1963. Round Island has been since designated a National Scenic Area.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!