iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticky winch

Started by loggerman1959, July 30, 2018, 04:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

I run a Gearmatic 19 winch on my international S8A . Lately as I pull in a load , the winch won't disengage and keeps reeling in until it hits the arch and stalls the machine . Its fine by itself , but as soon as its under load it won't disengage . Any ideas out there ?

coxy

sounds like a bad bearing or the clutch bands  did you try just hitting the freespool a little to see if it stops I hate gearmatic im buying another skidder that doesn't have one on it ill pay 10grand more just to not have the trouble 

loggerman1959

I don't understand why it only does it under load ....

celliott

Quote from: coxy on July 30, 2018, 06:56:29 PM
sounds like a bad bearing or the clutch bands  did you try just hitting the freespool a little to see if it stops I hate gearmatic im buying another skidder that doesn't have one on it ill pay 10grand more just to not have the trouble
That was a big plus for me when I bought my Clark. No gearmatic. For part time logging, id hate to deal with a gearmatic. My Clark winch I can leave it sitting 6 months and come back, hit freespool and the chokers hit the ground. No hiccups.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

loggerman1959

I have no trouble free spooling

coxy

rub it in some more  :D :D :D       if it has a bad bearing the drum wont pull side ways with out a load on it   it maybe the outer bearing on the cover or the 2 bearings on the drum or it maybe the bearing behind the drum toward the ring and pinion that bearing you can tighten the rest of them are throw away the lining maybe loose and it has to grab more with a load as in your putting more pressure on the handle to winch a load 

coxy

the lining is coming apart on my clutch bands and every now and then depending on the slant of the winch it will grab even when the winch is in the traveling mode with or with out a load  its a real pita when you about half throttle with a load it tends to brake things im trying to not put any money in it till I find out about this other skidder 

loggerman1959

How would you tell if the bearing is bad ?

coxy

I pull the cover and stick a flat bar under the drum there will be a little play on the drum with out the outer cover on there look and see if the drum moves before the shaft starts to move  another thing look at the spider its the thing that moves the clutch bands where the line comes out of the shaft and goes to the clutch cylinder there is an adjustment there look and see if that all moves and moves back freely you will have to have the skidder running to see if all that works if nothing else hook it to a tree and see if you can see any thing sticking or not releasing the way it should it will be better with 2 people but you can do it with 1 just after it stalls look and see what is sticking just take a small hammer and start tapping on things what ever makes it release thats your trouble :D  if the shaft and drum move a lot together its the inner bearing and the drum has to come off is it a 19 or 119

loggerman1959

Ed_K

Either the clutch is going out of adjustment or the clutch bands are wore out and one piece is sliding under other parts of the band. I relined both the clutch bands and brake bands. If you decide at some time to reline them buy 3/16 thick bands for the brake linings. Anything thicker and you will have problems, the release lever when pushed to release hold position will push the band back against the drum and won't let the line release. If it's real tight you won't be able to get the band back off to file the extra band material off the band. I'm in this position now and not happy with owning a gearmatic either >:(.
Ed K

coxy

Ed I feel your pain we did the brake bands one time they went in but would not release the brake we even hooked it to a tree then we could not get the bands back out ended up cutting the bands in pieces to get them out the clutch band are not bad you have a little wiggle room for a little thicker I had a guy measure new brake bands and came up with a metric reading it was in between SAE 

Thank You Sponsors!