iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dendro samples wanted for FFA forestry team

Started by caveman, September 11, 2018, 10:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I am looking for a few of you who have access to some of the dendro samples that are listed below to send me a few samples.  In the past Pete from the Bear Swamp has sent some and WDH has even left a shortleaf pine sample in a red maple in the Perry, Georgia Cracker Barrel's parking lot.  The generosity of the FF members has really benefitted several of the FFA members and has helped them achieve tremendous goals in the past.

1.  Red Alder (Alnus rubra)   *                    The *ed ones are the most needed.  Samples usually ship
2.  Black Birch (Betula lenta)                       well with a damp paper towel wrapped around a small twig 
3.  White Birch (Betula papyrifera)                with leaves.  If any of you are interested in helping, PM me
4.  Balsam Fir (Abies balsamea)                    and I'll send you the address.  Small samples are fine.  
5.  Lodgepole Pine (Pinus contorta) *             
6.  Pitch Pine (Pinus rigida) *
7.  Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa) *
8.  Red Pine (pinus resinosa)
9.  Shortleaf Pine (Pinus echinata)
10.  Red Spruce (Picea rubens) *
11.  White Spruce (Picea glauca) *

A little background.  Each state can send one FFA team to the National FFA Forestry contest each year.  Last year the Kathleen FFA forestry team won the Florida FFA Forestry contest and will represent the state in Indianapolis next month at the National FFA Convention/Forestry Contest.  I no longer teach at Kathleen. I transferred to a different school after being at Kathleen for 22 years.  I still work closely with several of the students and their families.  Next month (October 20) the team, a Kathleen ag teacher and I will leave my house early and hopefully stop at WDH's place for a dendro lesson and a break from a long drive.  After leaving Danny's, we intend to stay the next couple of nights near Ivy Log, Georgia so the students can practice cruising hardwoods, pacing on slopes, and identifying species of trees not found in central Florida.  On Monday morning we are planning to meet with a silviculturist and a forest biologist at the Blairesville office of the Chattahoochee National Forest.  Tuesday morning we will leave and head for Indy.  We may detour and stop at Mammoth Caverns (I have wanted to see them for a long time).  The contest is Wednesday and Thursday.  We will leave Indy Saturday morning and drive straight home to Lakeland, Florida if my wife's lemon (2007 Suburban) will make the trip.

Thank you,
Kyle

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!