iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live edge red cedar siding

Started by Osagedon, September 26, 2018, 01:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osagedon

I have some eastern red cedar logs I am sawing into 1x live edge siding for a workshop I'm building. My question is how long should I let the siding dry after milling? I have read where some nail the stuff up green right off the mill.

Southside

If your logs are dead green then personally I would sticker it for maybe a month, not so much out of fear of movement but more to let the surface dry enough so you don't get the white fuzzy mold that cedar will produce when dead stacked.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you nail it green, which is done sometimes, it is important to nail only one edge so that the other edge can move slightly with moisture changes.

If it is exposed to the interior environment and not exterior, make sure, if you put it up green, that you also have the inside heated and have some venting to allow good drying and to avoid mold, plus to avoid corrosion issues with any metal.

If you air dry it prior to installation, put it under a roof in an open shed and a few large fans that run from 10AM to 6 PM when the weather is good (i.e., warm but no rain).  Ten good drying days will do it in the summer.  Maybe 20 as we move into fall and winter.  This assumes that we do not need 12% MC or drier for your use.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!