iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sad news for my 372 Husky

Started by thecfarm, October 25, 2018, 07:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Top end is gone. No mechanic I am,so it's labor cost too. Had the saw since 2001. Looking at about $300,so far. If I get out of it for $400 I will be doing good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

That's a lot of money to end up with a half used saw. No room for a new one?

thecfarm

Yes I thought about a new one. But those 372 was a good saw. As I say when I make a decision,ask me in a year. :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

I would fix a 372 for that money a couple of times before I bought something new.  Kinda like dropping the tranny on a 66 Chevelle SS - your not going to trade it in for a Honda at that point are ya?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Chop Shop

Quote from: lxskllr on October 25, 2018, 07:30:52 PM
That's a lot of money to end up with a half used saw. No room for a new one?
I half used OLD saw is a better companion than a NEW pos.

LeeB

Ray,
It's really not that hard to do. I did my 346 XP and had never attempted any repairs to one before other than changing the oil pump and clutch on my 372. If you are going to do it yourself just talk lots of pictures as you dismantle it for reference when you put it back together. OEM parts are high, and I would use them, but aftermarket can be had too at a lot less cost. Youtube is blocked here at work so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure there are videos on changing the p&c on a 372. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

joe_indi

If you are constrained by funds, you could buy a cheaper 372 clone of the kind mentioned in another thread
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=103476.0 )
You can either use its top end on your old saw or use your old saw as an 'organ donor' for the clone

thecfarm

barbender,old age?? It is about 16-17 years old.
It does get used some,not a daily use. It use to get used alot. Than I won a Efco on here and that cut down the usage on the big saw. I am the only one that mixes the gas,I use the husky bottles at 40:1 and use the highest grade I can get.
I have been cutting my wood at about 6-8 inches long. Trying to see if that will make it dry faster,better. This is good size wood. The bar does not come through the other side sometimes,18 inch bar. This is dead wood too,white pine.

HolmenTree

Ray, those first edition 372XP are worth ever penny to rebuild, wish I didn't sell mine.
Go OEM and you'll get another 17 years out of it. Post some pics of the piston and cylinder, you may be able to salvage the cylinder.
Also check if there's play in the main bearings by wiggeling up and down on both ends of the crankshaft at the flywheel and clutch.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

LeeB

If you decide not to fix it, don't chunk it. I could use a parts saw for mine. It still runs great but is a bit beat up. Same age as yours or pretty close.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

Ray, is it worth fixing? Well, if you said "it's not worth it, I'm going to toss it or part it out" we'd all surround that saw like a pack of wolves around a deer with a bad leg!😁

thecfarm

Holman,I'm not a working on it. ;D  But he called me and asked if I wanted to fix it. When I said yes,he said well I have to check the crank to see if it was bent. 15 minutes later he called back and said you should be all set. I hope he was right!!!

HolmenTree

Good to hear,
I can't remember ever seeing a bent crank on any of my saws, but have replaced many a wore out crank PTO side bearing.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Well just because you don't know beans from apple butter about exactly how to fix it doesn't mean you can't learn .Without  attempting to act like a smart-a---that's one thing I could never figure out about many forums .You like to own them have oodles if information but have no idea or desire to turn a wrench on one .It's not rocket science ,it's not black magic ,it's just plain physics .
Don't ever think that those of us who know how had some act of magic to learn that.We just bellied up to the bar and did it .Sure not a one of us  didn't make mistakes because I'll be the first to admit I have--on a lot of things .--but we learned because we wanted to/end of rant not to be taken as malice but encouragement. ;) 

barbender

Sometimes I like working on my saws, sometimes not. I put a new p&c on my Jred 2171, the hardest part of the job is cleaning the saw up good before you start, and keeping the parts sorted as you take it down. Some folks just plain don't like wrenching on stuff, and I sympathize. There's also the risk of doing something wrong and damaging some expensive parts.  I rebuilt the carb on my Husky 346 once, and somehow managed to get a screw in the intake somewhere that did bad things when I started the saw👎 But if a person is wanting to learn their way around engines, the simplicity of a chainsaw makes it a great place to start. I've thought of tearing one down with the kids for a homeschool project, and to help them understand what goes on inside a internal combustion engine.

barbender

Btw, my favorite saw right now is my newest one, that I don't need to work on very much😁

Stoneyacrefarm

Bartender,
I have to agree with you. 
I've got 3 old saws and 2 new ones. 
My favorites are the new ones by far. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

teakwood

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on October 27, 2018, 05:00:11 PMBartender,

We have had good laughs already with that 

Do you like being in bars??
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

barbender

Hahaha I don't even drink, haven't in many years😂😂

Stoneyacrefarm

Ha ha
Sorry about that. 
Apparently proofreading is not one of my stronger quality's. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

thecfarm

No Al,I don't work on them things. I lose stuff and others things happens.
But remember what I said about lucky and $400? well $387 will get it back in my hands again. Working today,looks like Wed I will get it.
Kinda like that POSTON guy and his Old Ford. Good for another 17 years.

barbender

Al_Smith

Well look at it like this .It will probably run for another 20 years .20 bucks a year, not too bad for a good running saw . ;)

nativewolf

I have to agree with those that say their favorite are the newest saws with least trouble.  I think worrying about fixing saws is the biggest mistake I've made the last few years.  So I stopped.  Too much trouble, out the door it goes and I will guy a replacement.  I can replace a broken handle, pull rope, replace screws, etc.  But if a cylinder goes and I am waiting a day that I needed a saw, then that's a sunk day and I'd rather have a new one.  Stihl dealer 20mins from house, Rural King 30.  Someone's open.

Also, unlike many on here...I like the new computer controlled saws.  My 362cm is the easiest saw to start I've ever owned.  3 years old i think and just works like a top.  If the mix gets a little rich you will know it but other than that it is a pleasure to be topping with that.  I am really looking forward to the rollout of the next version of saws, fuel injected critters.  

Then it will be battery saws I guess.
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!