iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another tool for the arsenal - Halverson HWP-120

Started by Stuart Caruk, October 28, 2018, 12:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Caruk

Ever since I saw the Hahn firewood processor for a Bobcat, I knew I wanted one. There was just no way to justify the price. Then I saw the Halverson HWP-140 for about half the price. Turns out the Gene Halverson designed the Hahn processor. about a month or so ago I noticed the HWP-120 at under $9k. Funny thing is that I've been collecting parts to build a processor just to handle slabs, but lately we have a lot of short tops or CTL wood available in 12' lengths for cheap.

Last week my wife told me our slab pile was getting too big, and I had little time to deal with it. Over the course of a couple days I noticed the pile getting smaller. I found my wife had grabbed the forklift and brought the slabs to the cutoff saw, then ran them through one at a time tossing the offcuts into some IBC totes that she had cut the tops off. She was on a mission to clean up and put away firewood. 

So I called and ordered an HWP-120. It took her no time at all to slice and split them into firewood. Then she started going after the round wood. Now nothing under 16" is safe if it's been sitting for too long. I must say. this little tool impresses the heck out of me. For straight wood, it's the bomb. Works great. Knotty wood that's been delimbed in a harvester feeds great. Maple tops full of burls and busted limbs get hung up on the feeding tray as it cycles, but she's learned to flip a log like a pancake and does a pretty fair job.

Turns out her initial plan to split into IBC totes doesn't work. She fills the totes with 3 tops, and has to keep moving, and with the processor high enough to feed, it's a challenge for her to see. So she's splitting into a pile. My next plan is to rig up a hydraulic powered conveyor to stack into a building. I think the cost of building a tall open sided building is justified if I can stockpile wood a year or so ahead so it's dry. I'd wait to sell until Dec / Jan when people are out of wood, and dry wood is almost impossible to find. Then betting a premium for the wood is easy. I just need to find a person who wants to deliver it for me.

Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

thecfarm

I think I saw one of those at a show.
A good addition for you!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

I've been keeping my eye on these- the HWP-120 is getting down to the price point where it starts to look really appealing👍 Please keep us updated on how it's working out!
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!