Started by 4x4American, October 30, 2018, 10:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Southside

Guess I gotta learn to sew.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Happy birthday to the only 127 y/o I ever knew.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

lol lol thanks Howard..all I can say is if you wanna grow as old as me, drink your milk and eat plenty of burger king!
Boy, back in my day..

dustintheblood

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Southside

So was it a Burger King Whopper you beat the starter with?  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Quote from: Southside logger on October 31, 2018, 06:50:04 AM
So was it a Burger King Whopper you beat the starter with?  :D
I'll tell you what, dey put such a package inside dem bacon kings dat dey could knock a guy out cold!  Just keep it in da bag, grab da end of it and take her out for a rip bud
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Percy

I see your feet actually left the ground when you jumped over that sawdust extraction hose...you are quite the jock strap. :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

YellowHammer

I noticed the new sawdust blower addition on the mill.  No more shoveling mostly. Good for you.  

Not bad for an old man.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

Quote from: Percy on October 31, 2018, 09:21:56 AM
I see your feet actually left the ground when you jumped over that sawdust extraction hose...you are quite the jock strap. :D :D :D :D
lol lol lol ... funny thing is, that was kinda hard on my old knees, I just barely pulled that off lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 31, 2018, 09:26:15 AM
I noticed the new sawdust blower addition on the mill.  No more shoveling mostly. Good for you.  

Not bad for an old man.  
I tell you what...woodmizer needs to make a blower and sell them with every mill that goes to a production based business.  It's sooooo much better than shoveling 5 yards of sawdust from the mill every day.
Boy, back in my day..

pineywoods

Quote from: 4x4American on October 31, 2018, 07:17:57 PM

I tell you what...woodmizer needs to make a blower and sell them with every mill that goes to a production based business.  It's sooooo much better than shoveling 5 yards of sawdust from the mill every day.
x2 on that. I have a blower on mine, but it involves a bunch of expensive hi-maintenance flex hose and electric power. An engine driven blower would be nice, I've spent some time thinking about that but nothing yet..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

4x4American

I like how meadows puts an arbor driven blower on their portable mills
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

That would take some HP away from the band drive for sure though.  I like being able to use mine as a giant vacuum, not to mention it also is on the moulder and planner, soon to be on the edger,  so having it run on electric has it's advantages too. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

They could put an engine big enough on to accomodate for that though
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

Yea - but then you would just unhook the blower and saw faster.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Quote from: Southside logger on October 31, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Yea - but then you would just unhook the blower and saw faster.   :D
Yea I know lol  
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

4x4American

the motor crapped out on it.  They sent new motor and when I went to take the sheave off of thw old one that some buck welded itself onto it.  I tried heat, hamburgers and onions.  It finally came off but it was messed up.  I filed it back to how it should be but now the roll pin hole is enlargened and not a tight fit and wont keep a roll pin in there anyways.  So I just asked them to send me new.  They took my $ and held it captive for weeks while the sheave has been backordered.  
Boy, back in my day..

moodnacreek

Is there room for a taper lock pulley?

Percy

I assume you are speaking of the in/out motor and not the business unit. I had lots of problems with the in/out mechanism on my 2003. About 5 years ago I switched over to an air cylinder and a screen door closer for in/out./ It has worked very well for me. It has been refined since this vid(was still developing/refining). I use the stationary house air compressor(big unit) and an airline through the cat track that now supplies air pressure though a regulator to my air bladder for blade tensioning.

Debarker modification - YouTube

SawyerTed

Now I'm ruined.  I get to go use my very nice LT35 at about half that speed!   :D  That's some nice sawmill!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

longtime lurker

So Im looking at the dust extractor, and the greenchain on the outfeed side, and a few other changes I see you've made since the last "how it fits together show" and I got to say it's starting to look like a sawmill mate. Thats a pretty impressive demonstration of the real world capacity of that mill, and you've got some flow happening: theres a whole lot of capacity increase happens just with that flow increase and I imagine you're getting a whole lot more work for a whole lot less effort because of it. Congratulations!

Whats next? 72" McDonough double sided band headrig? Gangsaw? Quad with chipper reducers? The mind boggles at what you'll be able to achieve by the time you get to 200. :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

4x4American

lmao thanks LL!  

Next is a Hurdle mill with 3 blade vertical edger.  Already put deposit down on one.  1995 mill.  Just waiting for the loan stuff to clear.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!