iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Missed me by that much ...

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 16, 2018, 12:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I got up, took my bow and went to my oldest shooting house today and found a good sized forked ash tree had uprooted in our recent ice and rain yesterday or the day before. It just missed my shooting house by a few feet but it broke the top out of a small buckeye that did land on the roof of the shooting house and broke free a few old half rotten boards on the front. So far it looks like the roof is pretty much intact and I will not move the tree or repair the shooting house for another 6 weeks till our deer season is over so as not to disrupt the hunting there. I guess I it will serve as extra camoflage. The shooting house is over 6 years old, well seasoned and I see we have killed at least 14 deer out of it. We killed many on the same spot before building the shooting house.

Last night was our first dusting of snow. See the uprooted ash and broken buckeye.

Uphill side of the shooting house and entrance ramp to the door.

A little more detail - shooting house is 6' deep and 8' wide. One corner is resting right over a big rock.

Front view. When I repair I will likely close in some of those openings. I left them big for bow hunting but that makes it harder to hide and colder. You can see the ash just a few feet from the house. A little damage to the roof and the new exposed wood is where 3-4 boards broke. They were old when we put them on and was before I owned a sawmill but they worked for our purpose.

Front and side - too close for comfort. We almost lost it this time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!