iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Stihl soon

Started by maple flats, November 28, 2018, 02:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I watched a U-Tube video for a new Stihl saw. The MS500i. It says "available in 2019".
Wow, it was impressive. A fuel injected saw weighing 6.2 lbs but performing like a 090. This could be tempting.
Anyone else seen anything on this?
I stand corrected, it's 6.2 KG, I should have realized that when I first posted, Sorry.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

HolmenTree

Not the power of a 090 :D
But will have the best power to weight ratio out there.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ladylake

That 6.2 kg or 13.7#.  Light for a saw that size.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JJinAK

I was all set to go with a 462, but now I'm leaning towards holding off for the 500i.  I don't know that I necessarily "need" one, but man, that would be difficult to pass up.  Hopefully Stihl can actually figure out the logistics and meet a delivery window.
MS461
MS362

lxskllr

Quote from: JJinAK on November 28, 2018, 04:13:47 PM
I was all set to go with a 462, but now I'm leaning towards holding off for the 500i.  I don't know that I necessarily "need" one, but man, that would be difficult to pass up.  Hopefully Stihl can actually figure out the logistics and meet a delivery window.
I'd be leery of being an early adopter of new technology unless you have money to play with. I like seeing how things perform in the field before I jump on.

Hooterspfld

6.2KG not lbs..

MS 500i
Innovative new chainsaw with electronically controlled fuel injection

Technical specifications

Displacement79,2 cm³
Sound pressure level 1)106 dB(A)
Power output5/6,8 kW/bhp
Vibration level left/right 2)4,2/4 m/s²
Sound power level 1)119 dB(A)
Weight 3)6,2 kg
Power-to-weight ratio1,2 kg/kW
Saw chain pitch3/8"

outinthewood

Let us not forget as everyone gets very excited about this saw, Jonsered had the first injection system in the late 50s !! The Stihl system has been out in cutoff saw format for 3/4 years ? so the bugs should be out of the system but that's in a much slower machine and on a cutoff saw it tends to be on- WOT- then off so we will see how the 500i copes with work in the wood ? Apart from the weak looking air filter I'm sure it will be good !

HolmenTree

Quote from: outinthewood on November 28, 2018, 04:48:48 PM
Let us not forget as everyone gets very excited about this saw, Jonsered had the first injection system in the late 50s !! The Stihl system has been out in cutoff saw format for 3/4 years ? so the bugs should be out of the system but that's in a much slower machine and on a cutoff saw it tends to be on- WOT- then off so we will see how the 500i copes with work in the wood ? Apart from the weak looking air filter I'm sure it will be good !
Actually the first (semi) fuel injected saw was the 1949 Comet diesel chainsaw from Norway. Weighed only 18 lbs.
In 1954 the saw manufacturing was contracted out to Jonsereds in Sweden.
Jonsereds wasn't making their own yet at the time. By 1955 they bought out Comet and made their first saw the XC.
The Stihl fuel injected TS500i cut quick saw has been around for about 10 years now, so adaption to a chainsaw should be cpmplete.
That video that showing the dirty air filter and intake  of the 500i was after 20 tanks of fuel logging over 3 days in dusty sappy spruce. Any plugged filter will start to let dust get by if left dirty long enough.

HolmenTree

The latest HD air filter for the MS462 and MS500i is right here.
Smooth nylon .....no deep pleats to hold sawdust. Good for winter too.

I've used nylon filters on my older Stihls all year round since the 1970's, great filters. Got to regularly clean them. Last pic from my 1986 064.

Mad Professor

But what to work on it?  Need $5000 machine to tune it?  How much for dealer to tune it?  If it goes messed up in the woods what can you do?

Sort of like 201X trucks......

I like 196X trucks.

Oh, yes, when it's 5 years old does it go to the recycle bin?

HolmenTree

Yup and there's guys out there who still drive 30 year old pickups :D

lxskllr

I like the /idea/ of fixing things myself, but I don't *actually* like fixing things myself, at least with regards to IC engines. I'm kind of conflicted on the whole thing. I'd like to see tools available for everyone to use, and good documentation on how things work. That way, a user can fix their stuff if they choose to, or they can take it to the people they trust for service, not necessarily the ones with the correct logo on the door.

I sure do like my Mtronic saw though. It just works, and I don't have to worry about my ability to keep it running well.

barbender

I like being able to work on my own machines. However, I like machines I don't need to work on even more👍👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

Quote from: lxskllr on November 28, 2018, 07:38:51 PM
I like the /idea/ of fixing things myself, but I don't *actually* like fixing things myself, at least with regards to IC engines. I'm kind of conflicted on the whole thing. I'd like to see tools available for everyone to use, and good documentation on how things work. That way, a user can fix their stuff if they choose to, or they can take it to the people they trust for service, not necessarily the ones with the correct logo on the door.

I sure do like my Mtronic saw though. It just works, and I don't have to worry about my ability to keep it running well.
That won't happen with Stihl.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

teakwood

Quote from: JJinAK on November 28, 2018, 04:13:47 PMI was all set to go with a 462, but now I'm leaning towards holding off for the 500i

I want both and i don't care how much they cost. For professional use it doesn't matter if they cost 2-300 more then other brands. One saw is payed of after one season or even after a few month, the best power and light saws for professional use, if they just hold up for 5 years then trow them away and buy a new and even more powerful model!!
and the 462 and 500i are definitively no weekend firewood saws. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on November 29, 2018, 07:53:32 AM
Quote from: JJinAK on November 28, 2018, 04:13:47 PMI was all set to go with a 462, but now I'm leaning towards holding off for the 500i

I want both and i don't care how much they cost. For professional use it doesn't matter if they cost 2-300 more then other brands. One saw is payed of after one season or even after a few month, the best power and light saws for professional use, if they just hold up for 5 years then trow them away and buy a new and even more powerful model!!
and the 462 and 500i are definitively no weekend firewood saws.
Well said teakwood, these saws are designed for professionals who make a living with a saw.
More Stihl fuel injected saws are on their way, a MS400i prototype is out working as we speak.

realzed

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 28, 2018, 07:30:20 PM
Unlike possibly Manitoba and other spots West of you.. but that doesn't happen anywhere around here.. We need to keep supporting the salt mining venues in the East of us - thus if a truck or to a lesser degree a  car survives past 14 or 15 years here - it is extremely unusual to say the very least! 

HolmenTree

Quote from: realzed on November 29, 2018, 11:27:22 AM
Unlike possibly Manitoba and other spots West of you.. but that doesn't happen anywhere around here.. We need to keep supporting the salt mining venues in the East of us - thus if a truck or to a lesser degree a  car survives past 14 or 15 years here - it is extremely unusual to say the very least!
Yep you don't want buy a used eastern vehicle,  from the rust you find on them you'd swear they were Japanese.
Another thing about Ontario roads outside of the 401 is speed limits. Over the years Ontario speed limits have been lowered so much that there is fewer fatalities. 
More people surviving putting a strain on our universal healthcare. 

alan gage

Yes. And 30 year old pickups are fuel injected. They were the first generation of fuel injected trucks and they did (and still do) surprisingly well.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

HolmenTree

Quote from: alan gage on November 29, 2018, 11:54:04 AM
Yes. And 30 year old pickups are fuel injected. They were the first generation of fuel injected trucks and they did (and still do) surprisingly well.
Alan
Yeah I second guessed that 1988 date as I typed it as I had
a brand new 1988 Chrysler Daytona with a fuel injected turbo charged 4 cylinder engine. Thing went like stink
Had a 1992 Ford F150 4x4 with a computerized fuel inject 300 6 cylinder was a very nice running truck.
Best reliable little pickup I ever owned was two 1978 Ford  Couriers (Mazda) one viking red the other green  with a 2.3 liter 4 cyl with 5 speed. Like I say about Japanese they'll fall apart with rust first before they break down.

Southside

The price point on that new saw is $1,800 - $1,900.  :o  Saw a video where they compared it to a 572, yes it was faster, but the 572 had about an 8" longer bar on it.  Would be nice to see some real world testing, I was actually surprised in that video that they would do a comparison with such different bars, most of the comments pointed that out, at least the ones in English.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

HolmenTree

Quote from: Southside logger on November 29, 2018, 02:24:19 PM
The price point on that new saw is $1,800 - $1,900.  :o  Saw a video where they compared it to a 572, yes it was faster, but the 572 had about an 8" longer bar on it.  Would be nice to see some real world testing, I was actually surprised in that video that they would do a comparison with such different bars, most of the comments pointed that out, at least the ones in English.   ;D
Maybe in Australian Dollar.
That Swedish translation of price is way off. A MS462 is selling here in Canada for $1400 CDN ($1050 USD) so I can't see the MS500i being almost $900 more. :D

8 inch longer b/c is not going to make any difference,  probably helped the 572 clear chips better.
The 572 is a 70cc boat anchor when you compare the 2 saws power to weight ratio.

teakwood

the best saw for me today would be a 400i if something will ever exist.  I need a 60cc, under 5kgs and 5hp+, that would be the best thing right now.

Mad Professor

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 29, 2018, 12:47:43 PM
Quote from: alan gage on November 29, 2018, 11:54:04 AM
Alan
Yeah I second guessed that 1988 date as I typed it as I had
a brand new 1988 Chrysler Daytona with a fuel injected turbo charged 4 cylinder engine. Thing went like stink
Had a 1992 Ford F150 4x4 with a computerized fuel inject 300 6 cylinder was a very nice running truck.
Best reliable little pickup I ever owned was two 1978 Ford  Couriers (Mazda) one viking red the other green  with a 2.3 liter 4 cyl with 5 speed. Like I say about Japanese they'll fall apart with rust first before they break down.

I don't want no stinking fuel injection with the fuel pump in the gas tank!!!
Give me a I-6 292 chevy with 1-wire HEI distributor.  Feed it with a 1-bbl carb with manual choke.  Two vacuum lines , one for spark advance the other PCV. One nice fat exhaust pipe and muffler, no cat. I can keep a spare distributor behind the seat and if the fuel pump craps out bungee a MC fuel tank on the roof and gravity feed it.  
I had one of those in a full size C10 w/4 spd, and it got 20mpg highway.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: teakwood on November 29, 2018, 03:46:08 PM
the best saw for me today would be a 400i if something will ever exist.  I need a 60cc, under 5kgs and 5hp+, that would be the best thing right now.
I read somewhere, maybe here even, that an MS400i is being tested. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

HolmenTree

Quote from: Mad Professor on November 28, 2018, 07:28:20 PM
But what to work on it?  Need $5000 machine to tune it?  How much for dealer to tune it?  If it goes messed up in the woods what can you do?

I like 196X trucks.

Here I got a saw for you MP,
Low hour 1979 Jonsereds 70E with electronic ignition, high speed single ring piston and solid magnesium.
Last of the all magnesium Jonsereds.
Just needs a air filter with cover and a brake lever.
Has a great bar and a brand new 1980's Stihl 35RM (non Comfort) chain.

Mad Professor

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 29, 2018, 07:31:04 PM
Quote from: Mad Professor on November 28, 2018, 07:28:20 PM
But what to work on it?  Need $5000 machine to tune it?  How much for dealer to tune it?  If it goes messed up in the woods what can you do?

I like 196X trucks.

Here I got a saw for you MP,
Low hour 1979 Jonsereds 70E with electronic ignition, high speed single ring piston and solid magnesium.
Last of the all magnesium Jonsereds.
Just needs a air filter with cover and a brake lever.
Has a great bar and a Stihl 35RM chain.

No Thanks.  I'm partial to stihls.
For 70cc saws I have an 038M and some 038 supers I converted to magnums.  All OEM no chi-com parts. 2 or 3 parts carcasses and a box of good cranks, cases, carbs, cylinders, etc.  A good stock of NOS OEM gasket sets and rubber parts.  Really easy to work on too. I'm set for life. ;D
For 50cc I've a 028S and a few 026.
For 90cc a couple of 056M, they're more of a PITA to work on than my 066.
No real big saws :'(  But not real huge trees here either, could be fun for the sawmill though.
For little things a 009 and 020T.
As with the 038s I've spares/consumables
Nothing new stihl has offered in a while I want/need. Especially stuff I need to pay someone to work on. arg-smiley think_not

teakwood

Quote from: Mad Professor on November 29, 2018, 09:10:19 PMFor 70cc saws I have an 038M and some 038 supers I converted to magnums.  All OEM no chi-com parts. 2 or 3 parts carcasses and a box of good cranks, cases, carbs, cylinders, etc.  A good stock of NOS OEM gasket sets and rubber parts.  Really easy to work on too. I'm set for life. For 50cc I've a 028S and a few 026. For 90cc a couple of 056M,

you're like a museum when you hit the forest!   

but if they work, why not!

Mad Professor

Quote from: teakwood on November 29, 2018, 09:37:39 PM
Quote from: Mad Professor on November 29, 2018, 09:10:19 PMFor 70cc saws I have an 038M and some 038 supers I converted to magnums.  All OEM no chi-com parts. 2 or 3 parts carcasses and a box of good cranks, cases, carbs, cylinders, etc.  A good stock of NOS OEM gasket sets and rubber parts.  Really easy to work on too. I'm set for life. For 50cc I've a 028S and a few 026. For 90cc a couple of 056M,

you're like a museum when you hit the forest!  

but if they work, why not!
They all run like new.
I forgot the 60cc,a couple of 036 pros that I use the most. One was a lean seize I got for free then rebuilt with NOS OEM parts.  Those saws just feel/balance perfect w/20" bar.  In comparison a 362 feels like a big  fat box.

That's the 46 chevy it's sitting on

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

Quote from: Mad Professor on November 30, 2018, 03:45:36 AMThose saws just feel/balance perfect w/20" bar.

I see a new bar on there, you should try the light bars. really worth the money. You saw will be even lighter and more nimble

Mad Professor

Quote from: teakwood on November 30, 2018, 06:53:29 AM
Quote from: Mad Professor on November 30, 2018, 03:45:36 AMThose saws just feel/balance perfect w/20" bar.

I see a new bar on there, you should try the light bars. really worth the money. You saw will be even lighter and more nimble
I really like the ES bars, they can take a beating, I've yet to wear one out.  I keep the rails free of burrs by draw filing and if they start to wear I dress them with a vertical belt sander.  
The lightweight bars might save some fat but I worry if they would be as durable.

teakwood

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 29, 2018, 11:26:33 AMMore Stihl fuel injected saws are on their way, a MS400i prototype is out working as we speak.

Can you tell anything more about that saw? i could not find one single info online

HolmenTree

Just what I heard on the grapevine.(in Greece ;))

Southside

I heard about the new Husky 672 that is coming on line next year, it has a 2 cycle, direct injection, turbo diesel power plant. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Mad Professor

Hey Holmen,
I just brought a "new" truck.  Once I take the emmissions off it will be a "real truck". 4150 4bbl no crap!!

HolmenTree

Quote from: Mad Professor on December 03, 2018, 11:03:37 PM
Hey Holmen,
I just brought a "new" truck.  Once I take the emmissions off it will be a "real truck". 4150 4bbl no crap!!

Do you mean 454 4bbl? 
That should get you about 8 mpg  :D

Mad Professor

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 04, 2018, 08:56:33 AM
Quote from: Mad Professor on December 03, 2018, 11:03:37 PM
Hey Holmen,

Do you mean 454 4bbl?
That should get you about 8 mpg  :D
Gee Holmen I thought you were ejumacated about working on things, 4150 is a user friendly tuneable Holley 4bbl carb. I like them better than 4160s.
With no emmissions and 3:08 gears will get near 20mpg unloaded.  My 73 w/I-6 292 did a bit better.
No loan payments, no dealer tuneups, parts are plentiful.........

HolmenTree

Oh I've owned and wrenched on a few Holley double pumpers in my youth.
Just with today's computer auto correct I wasn't sure if you meant 454.
BTW nice clean looking Chev you got there.
But for me at this stage in my life I prefer my cooled and heated leather seats in my new HD Laramie diesel 4x4 pickup.

Mad Professor

But the Laramie payments are ~ mortgage on a small home.

Did I mention I've only brought 1 saw, new? That was the 066 I got a deal on with my logosol mill.  All the rest I wrenched back to life.

HolmenTree

The Laramie is my business tax right off and personal grocery getter.
I intend to keep it into my retirement as I have good reliable service with Cummins pickups over the years. Best diesel in my opinion.

Yup I'm still running my 066 I bought new too along with a decomp 066. Rock solid saws :)

HolmenTree

MP, Here's the 2020 Chev HD Duramax diesel pickup.
Take me a while to warm up to its front end face but pretty impressive pickup otherwise.

Mad Professor

Last HOUSE I brought was 105K $USD.

What's yer truck payment?  

Was it made in Brazil? Or a Chi-Com?

GM left USA years ago, he bailed them out, then they built new factory, in Brazil.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Mad Professor on December 04, 2018, 06:49:18 PM

GM left USA years ago, he bailed them out, then they built new factory, in Brazil.
Was $970 USD mth. 0% interest. Just paid it off. Turning 30,000 miles at the moment.
Assembled in Mexico (free trade: Canada, US, Mexico) US models made in Kentucky I last heard.
Yep GM just shut down here in Canada too.

Southside

I am a died in the wool Chevy guy - but that 2020 got hit hard with the ugly stick all over the place.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Mad Professor

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 04, 2018, 08:38:09 PM
Quote from: Mad Professor on December 04, 2018, 06:49:18 PM

Was $970 USD mth. 0% interest. Just paid it off. Turning 30,000 miles at the moment.
Assembled in Mexico (free trade: Canada, US, Mexico) US models made in Kentucky I last heard.
Yep GM just shut down here in Canada too.
That's more than twice my 15 year mortgage payment on a house, I paid off.  
My GMs are 60-80s. One, a 68 camaro RS/SS I got for $600, my first car. From Commiefornia w/no rust. It needs TLC sitting in my barn.
Also have a few Willys and Kiasers from the 60s.  Some Ford tractors <1970.
I wrench all that stuff myself, coundn't afford otherwise.
So how much of a house are the new Stils?

HolmenTree

Well I'm not sure what you do for a living but myself running a tree service I need a reliable pickup that doesn't need wrenching on other then changing the oil and fuel filters.

Chipper, stump grinder and saws are enough of a chore and time to wrench on.
Still running a 562 AutoTune with well over a 1000 hours on it and so far only needed 2 spring mounts changed. 562 paid for itself on its first day of work. ;D
Expect the same from my new 261cm and 462 later in February.

You gotta spend money to make money.

olcowhand

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 04, 2018, 06:38:33 PM
Take me a while to warm up to its front end face but pretty impressive pickup otherwise.

Willard,
The guys are slammin' the looks of our 2020 HD Chevys over in another post. They're claiming that these trucks are ugly. I never learned to like (or love) a Truck from the outside.
I have a 2018 3500 HD, so it will be a while before I need another 1 Ton; Having said that, I would buy one of the 2020 new models if it works out that way. Good Call!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

snowstorm

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 04, 2018, 06:10:48 PM
I intend to keep it into my retirement as I have good reliable service with Cummins pickups over the years. Best diesel in my opinion.

Yup I'm still running my 066 I bought new too along with a decomp 066. Rock solid saws :)

dose it have the mopar auto trans or the asin? i just traded .  another ford 6.7 mine is almost the same color as yours. its white tricoat. it is long crew cab 8 ft body. its either buy something or pay more taxes

HolmenTree

Quote from: snowstorm on December 05, 2018, 06:44:22 AM

dose it have the mopar auto trans or the asin? i just traded .  another ford 6.7 mine is almost the same color as yours. its white tricoat. it is long crew cab 8 ft body. its either buy something or pay more taxes
Snowstorm, as far as I understand only the bigger HD got the asin transmission. Mine is a 2500.
But mine does have the full auto levelling rear air bag suspension. 
The 3500 still has the rough riding leaf springs.

HolmenTree

Quote from: olcowhand on December 05, 2018, 05:34:17 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on December 04, 2018, 06:38:33 PM

Willard,
The guys are slammin' the looks of our 2020 HD Chevys over in another post. They're claiming that these trucks are ugly. I never learned to like (or love) a Truck from the outside.
I have a 2018 3500 HD, so it will be a while before I need another 1 Ton; Having said that, I would buy one of the 2020 new models if it works out that way. Good Call!
olcowhand, I agree.
I don't know what is going on with all the HD truck companies. Even Ram ugly'ed up their new pickups with that big hole in the grille and the oversized chrome RAM letters on the tailgate. 
Mine didn't get those thank goodness.

realzed

Went down to Toronto a few months back with my son to assist him in bringing home a new RAM truck..   Never thought I would say it - but I do like the features, ride, and decent mileage overall, a lot better than GM or Ford versions both of which I had driven and spent some time in previously - and I'm a life-long GM buyer and fan.   GM with designs as shown seem to be attempting their best to turn people off especially when it comes to trucks.. IMHO!    As pictured that looks like some sad kind of Leggo or Fisher Price toy - and as butt ugly as all get out, as mentioned previously.  Sometimes new designs and trends take a while to grow on you - but I can say with all good certainty that I won't be able to live sufficiently long enough for that to happen with those 2020's if that is what is coming at us!

olcowhand

Maybe it's a case of the OEM Styling guys noticing that the ugliest thing they see when looking at an HD Truck on the road- is the Driver (who, me?)  ;D ::). Maybe they're thinking that if they design an ugly truck, the Driver will appear much better looking....
Think of how many them purdy cowgirls will now just glance (and dismiss...) the appearance of the truck, and linger just a little longer on the driver (as long as you don't paint the door to make it look like you're sitting on the commode, like that internet meme :o).
Heck, that truck would make me look like Hugh Jackman! In my current truck, they all say: "Who is that ugly guy driving that handsome truck?"
However, in keeping with the OP, any truck looks great with a couple of Stihls rolling around in the bed.....

realzed

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 05, 2018, 08:17:38 AM
Quote from: snowstorm on December 05, 2018, 06:44:22 AM

But mine does have the full auto levelling rear air bag suspension.
The 3500 still has the rough riding leaf springs.
My son shied away from the air suspension option after reading on so many RAM forums from others who have had issues with them.  Is yours rear only or all 4 corners?    That's a really nice looking unit you have and the bonus is 'no salt' up your way still, I assume.. which makes a purchase of a loaded up unit much more appealing considering you know it won't be a rusted out hulk in 8 - 10 years like they are around here!   His ended up being a pretty loaded up 1500 Sport version but he often says he wishes he had waited for the 2019's - but he got almost 32% off the sticker which wouldn't have happened on the new ones and that made it a no-brainer.  I personally far prefer the look of the '18 model, and since virtually nothing on the '19 model is the same or interchanges with the 2018 and earlier models mechanically or body-wise in the 2019's, I would be leery of 1st year issues..  

HolmenTree

Randy,  my 2500 only has the air suspension on the rear. Those air suspension issues you heard about were on the 1500 half tons.

Connecting or unhooking a trailer to the pickup with this auto level air ride  makes the chore so much easier.

Comfort is paramount when my family and I need to drive a 20 hour round trip to the city.

HolmenTree

Gotta get this thread back on track. :D

The Stihl MS500i can't take credit of making the first fuel injected chainsaw.

A Norwegian named Rasmus Wiig built one 70 years ago in 1949.
His small factory in Oslo, Norway produced the Comet Model A.

With a incrediable light weight of only 18 lbs his fuel injected semi diesel chainsaw could run upside down, could burn different fuels like kerosene, gas or diesel and still start after being dunked in a barrel of water.
A few years later he had Swedish company Jonsereds make his chainsaw parts.
Eventually Jonsereds bought Wiig out.....they crossed out the Comet name with a "X", made a few design changes and sold it in 1954 as a Jonsereds Model XA.
This was Jonsereds first chainsaw.

In 1984 When Jonsered celebrated their 30th anniversary there was no mention from the Swedes that their first XA chainsaw design was originally from Norway.
Husqvarna sold their first chainsaw in 1959.

Southside

What do they mean by "semi-diesel"?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

HolmenTree

Quote from: Southside logger on December 06, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
What do they mean by "semi-diesel"?
Don't ask me I wasn't even born close to 1949 :D  :)

realzed

That chain actually looks like it is meant to cut running the opposite rotation from saws that we use now (throwing chips right back at the operator from the top of the bar instead of from under it) - do you know if in fact that was the case and/or if the chain design was altogether different then from what we are used to these days?

Southside

Just did some reading on it.  The chain looks backwards because it is when the saw is in the "sitting / starting position".  After you start the saw you flipped it over so the chain was right.  Also the handle held propane that was used to heat the glow plug so it would fire and run on diesel.  Pretty nifty invention he had there.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

realzed

It does make sense - somehow.. And after initially posting I got looking at the picture some more and got wondering if it could have been pictured as being upside down.  
Real 'widow maker' deal certainly though - no matter which way it sits!

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on December 01, 2018, 03:26:30 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 29, 2018, 11:26:33 AMMore Stihl fuel injected saws are on their way, a MS400i prototype is out working as we speak.

Can you tell anything more about that saw? i could not find one single info online
Latest info says MS400 is not a "i" fuel injected but possibly a CM Tronic
Here's the specs.
66.8 cm
4 kw power.
5.8 k.g. weight.

olcowhand

Willard,
I honor and respect your authority and knowledge regarding all things Stihl, but please don't use the hieroglyphics to relay the specs to us.

"Here's the specs.
66.8 cm
4 kw power.
5.8 k.g. weight."

What does all that crazy text mean? I only know what "kw" means, but how can a chainsaw have the power of 4 Kenworths? That would be well north of 1,000 Horsepower.
Please type slower, and remember those of us that will never be accused of being intelligent......  

HolmenTree

Olcowhand,  :D
I know you fellas south of the 49th parallel aren't up on the metric system.  But these specs were quoted towards teakwood who does use metric measurements in Costa Rica.

Google does wonders for conversion which I'll edit later . :)

teakwood

kw is refereed to kilowatt and it's around 3/4 (0.75) of a hp (horsepower)

Thanks Willard, but at 66.8cc and 5.3hp/5.8kg i rather go with the 6hp/6kg MS462 once for all.
an 400i would be interesting thou 

HolmenTree

Found this over at another forum.
New 2019 USA price list with MS400.

politbureau

Do we know a release date / CDN price for 500i? I recently acquired a brand new 661C-M for an absolute steal (think under $900), and trying to decide whether to put it into service or sell it and bank the cash for the 500i...

If it's going to be out before the summer, I'd be seriously tempted..

DelawhereJoe

I'll assume that the WSL is while supplies last. Looks like the 241, 261c-mq and 441 are on the way out.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

realzed

Quote from: teakwood on January 04, 2019, 06:28:02 AM
kw is refereed to kilowatt and it's around 3/4 (0.75) of a hp (horsepower)

Thanks Willard, but at 66.8cc and 5.3hp/5.8kg i rather go with the 6hp/6kg MS462 once for all.
an 400i would be interesting thou
Actually #kws X 1.341 = hp - but who cares as long as it cuts great?

Bosco

Still driving a '67 chevy P.U. and a '59 Willys, '88 Harley. '61 Ford tractor.

HolmenTree

New 67cc MS400 CM. Looks like it's replacing the MS362.

wild262

That's a sharp looking saw, and a great all around size.  I hope Stihl use there weight cutting abilities on all there models as they did on the 462.

HolmenTree

Quote from: wild262 on January 26, 2019, 08:34:07 PM
That's a sharp looking saw, and a great all around size.  I hope Stihl use there weight cutting abilities on all there models as they did on the 462.
At $270 USD cheaper then the MS462, that would be a good selling feature too.

HolmenTree

So you think MTronic is high tech  :)
Check this out.
I found out what this button on the MS400 is in this picture.

Empower your team. With STIHL connected.

lxskllr

Meh... I'd rather see a usb port, with analysis and tuning software. Released under a free license of course, so enthusiasts can adapt and change the software. I don't need a computer to know where my saw is. It's either in my hand, in my truck, or in my house

Thank You Sponsors!