iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changing chainsaw bar length

Started by Crookedkut, January 17, 2019, 01:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crookedkut

I have a MS250 Stihl chainsaw with a 20 inch chain.  Can I change the bar to a 24 or 30 inch bar? Would that bar be too long for this chainsaw?  I would prefer a 30 inch chain. 

Ianab

It's a 45cc saw, you wont enjoy using it with a bar much longer than 20".

Now cutting down a 30" tree with a 20" bar is relatively easy, just takes a bit more time. If you intend to do a lot of trees that size, you really need more saw.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

teakwood

Even a 20" is too big for the MS250, out of balance and lack of power to pull even a 20". more like 16" or 18" tops
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

hopm

I have a 250 with an 18" bar. It is may favorite out of the saw stable. I think it is my favorite because more cuts are made limbing and in small stuff and that is what it is made for. I don't think I would use it near as much trying to make it what it's not. 

wild262

Quote from: Crookedkut on January 17, 2019, 01:45:48 AM
I have a MS250 Stihl chainsaw with a 20 inch chain.  Can I change the bar to a 24 or 30 inch bar? Would that bar be too long for this chainsaw?  I would prefer a 30 inch chain.  
Yes.  That's way to much bar.  Unless you like to stand there and wait on it all day :laugh:.  Also a plastic cased housing, so would put a lot of stress on the chassie as regards to weight and handling.  As been said, that saw is better suited with a 16-18" max. 

HolmenTree

Yep you'd be waiting a bit alright :D

But 45 years ago a Italian fella did fell a 5 foot 7 inch diameter redwood with a 30cc Echo in under an hour of run time. :laugh:

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lxskllr

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 17, 2019, 03:24:18 PM
Yep you'd be waiting a bit alright :D

But 45 years ago a Italian fella did fell a 5 foot 7 inch diameter redwood with a 30cc Echo in under an hour of run time. :laugh:

I'd be fairly pleased with myself if I felled a 5.5' redwood in less than an hour, with any saw I desired at my disposal. I'd probably spend a good bit of that hour just analyzing it, and mentally prepping myself  :^D

esteadle

Here's the Stihl Saw Chain selector: 

https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/downloads/STIHL-Saw-Chain-Selection-Identification.pdf

You must have the MSE 250 as that's the only 250 that can take a 20" bar. 
Even if you slapped something together that worked, you would not be happy, as your saw would stall all day. 

If you really need 30" of bar, look at the 661. It's my new favorite saw. ;-) 

Stablerock

Not enough saw.

Better to run an 16 - 18" on that 250 . It will like you, and you will like it better.

If you regularly need a 24", you'd be better with something around 70cc, and use it when need be.

Inaotherlife

I run a 20 on a similar saw, my Echo cs490. Everybody says that bar's too big, but a 20 is what it came with and it does ok. 
I agree that a 16 or 18 inch bar gives a better balance. And I wouldn't run anything longer than a 20 on it.

thecfarm

I feel those chainsaw makers put a long bar on to make them look bigger. ::) 
Longer bars and chains cost more too. Longer chains takes longer to file. I have an Efco,about 50cc,that has a 20 inch bar on it. Kinda long for it,but I don't bury the bar too often. That is what the 372 Husky is for. ;D  A big saw and a small saw is handy to have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

Yup. One of things I enjoy most about my little echo is how quick it is to get around it with a file. I don't mind sharpening chains, but it starts to get tedious as the day wears on. I just to cut, and not play with a saw.

kenskip1

One small bit  of information that did not get mentioned. Bar oil.That saw was designed for a 16/18 inches bar. Now you go and put on a 20. You will wear out the chain and bar from lack of oil.
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Crookedkut

Okay, I will look into getting a bigger saw.   I also plan on using this as a chainsaw mill.  I was looking at the Husqvarna or Stihl brand for this.  I am not sure if an Echo would be a good selection.  

I am looking into getting at least a saw with a 24 inch chain.   Question is which saw? 

Hooterspfld

I bought a Stihl 362 with the 25" bar with the idea of cutting and milling. I had seen some youtube videos of guys using a 362 to mill and figured it was more than enough saw. Granted at this point the MS250 had been what I was using, so the 362 seemed like a beast. Well then I dropped my first 25" tree with the intention of milling it. The 362 with the 25" bar handeled dropping the tree with no problem, milling however is a different game. With a 25" bar and my mill, the top width I could cut was 19-20", that was my first problem. Next, I was worried that cutting the max or somewhat over what my saw was designed for would burn it up quickly. All said, I splurged and bought a new 661 with a 36" bar. With that I can slab 30". I have contemplated a longer bar, but again I don't want to fry my saw. If I do go with a larger bar at some point, I will be much more prudent on keeping the chain sharp. Also an auxillary oiler would be a must.

lxskllr

I'd look for something 80cc+. Echo should work if you're trying to save money, but I'd look around for something old and used if it's just gonna be on a mill. It doesn't have to be fancy or light, so buying competition should be lower. Just check for parts availability before purchase, or if it's cheap enough, consider it disposable.

DelawhereJoe

If you really want to save some coin look into that holzfforma g660 92ccand under$300 if it does fail you it can be rebuilt with oem stihl parts. There are some reviews from a member on here of it, looks like he was kinda impressed by its ability for the cost.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

wild262

If I were going to do any milling, I would seriously consider a bigger displacement saw than a 60cc.  I have not done any milling, but have been around a couple of guys that have, helped out with the process of handling logs, and everyone of them used a much bigger saw.  Mostly in the 85-100cc range.  Milling puts a lot of stress on even the big saws.  I'd use no smaller than a 385/395 Husky, or Stihl 064-066/660-661.  Depending upon a lot of factors, and how much milling you plan to do, sure you might get by with a 72-80cc class saw.  But why not go a bit bigger and get a size that has ample power to start with, without over stressing it.   Of all the saws I own, I would only consider 2, a Jonsered 2094, and a MS-660 Magnum.  Both 92-95cc range.  Then I would tune it to run on 32:1 mix for extra lubrication on the bottom end, and file a very sharp chain.  Go to this size of saw and save yourself problems down the road.                          You should find a good used Husky 394 or 395 for $500-$600. 

Inaotherlife

I just bought an old good running 372XP for a really good price with the thought that I might do some milling with it. Though if milling was the sole purpose I'd have likely been looking for something bigger.

I have the 50cc 490 that I could probably cut down just about anything that it would have to. But the 372 will make the bigger trees easier here too.

I don't know much about the 372xp other than it is 70cc and appears to be very popular. And the piston and cylinder on the one I got looks to be in great shape.
May not have the low end torquy powerband that I'd prefer, or it may. But certainly should be a big step up in power over my relatively mild 50cc saw.

I didn't have a whole lot of interest in a 60cc saw, as they're not much lighter than the 372xp. And it would be more occasional use, and not something I'd be cutting a bunch of firewood with.

Escavader

If i did put a bar on that saw id put a skip tooth chain on it
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

wild262

Quote from: Inaotherlife on January 20, 2019, 04:01:13 PM
I just bought an old good running 372XP for a really good price with the thought that I might do some milling with it. Though if milling was the sole purpose I'd have likely been looking for something bigger.

I have the 50cc 490 that I could probably cut down just about anything that it would have to. But the 372 will make the bigger trees easier here too.

I don't know much about the 372xp other than it is 70cc and appears to be very popular. And the piston and cylinder on the one I got looks to be in great shape.
May not have the low end torquy powerband that I'd prefer, or it may. But certainly should be a big step up in power over my relatively mild 50cc saw.

I didn't have a whole lot of interest in a 60cc saw, as they're not much lighter than the 372xp. And it would be more occasional use, and not something I'd be cutting a bunch of firewood with.

Like you, I occasionaly use a 372,  but its for cutting bigger trees than my smaller saws couldn't handle as well.   And I run a 24" bar with semi-skip chain.  Nice running saws, and the flagship of the Husky line.  They have quite a following with people.  I've run both the standard and X-Torq, models, and the later X-Torq does seem to have a bit more low end grunt to it.  Most of wood cutting is done with smaller 40-50cc saws, Echo 361P, and Husky 346xp's.  I'm not real brand loyal, but I guess maybe Husky is my preferred.

Inaotherlife

Quote from: wild262 on January 20, 2019, 06:55:53 PM
Quote from: Inaotherlife on January 20, 2019, 04:01:13 PM

Like you, I occasionaly use a 372,  but its for cutting bigger trees than my smaller saws couldn't handle as well.   And I run a 24" bar with semi-skip chain.  Nice running saws, and the flagship of the Husky line.  They have quite a following with people.  I've run both the standard and X-Torq, models, and the later X-Torq does seem to have a bit more low end grunt to it.  Most of wood cutting is done with smaller 40-50cc saws, Echo 361P, and Husky 346xp's.  I'm not real brand loyal, but I guess maybe Husky is my preferred.
Brand loyalty? Not me.
I like most of Stihl's lineup of smaller pro saws. But since I don't use them to make my living, I'm all about bang for the buck.
And I figured that a seemingly lightly used 10 year old 372 at a third the cost of new fit the bill well enough.
I do like this saw though. Other than the heavy bar and chain, it's plenty lightweight for its size. Only a couple ounces heavier than a new 460 Rancher and a good deal less expensive.
But I gotta say, I'd have rather had a red one.

Crookedkut

Thank you for all the advice.  It seems like I will need to get a bigger chainsaw.   My ultimate goal is to buy or build me a sawmill.   I was looking into getting a woodmizer saw mill.  I will have to wait on that but I just wanted start somewhere and I figured the chainsaw would be a good start.   I am not looking into making a serious living off of it.  I just want to do it for retirement.   LOL  

Thank You Sponsors!