iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First saw

Started by Sadlerracing529, January 20, 2019, 07:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Hey guys, I reviewed the entire post.  I think there is well rounded advice.  I know when I started, I would only sign on occasionally.  Now you cannot shut me up lol.  There have been 600 views as well, so hopefully, many others are also benefiting from this thread
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sadlerracing529

Sorry for the absense guys, just been really swamped at work. Thank you all for the good info. 
As for my experience, the saw ive used in the past was a 45 or 50cc 20" bar and i could handle it just fine. Just have limited number of hours behind a saw. Maybe 6 hours total. As for the size of trees ill be cutting right now are mostly 13" or so pine trees. 
I was leaning towards 50 cc and 18" bar as this just seemed right to me. 
As for brand of saw i am leaning more towards husqvarna as there are plenty of local dealers around me.
I have been looking into the husky 450 over the last few days. And i am liking what ive heard of this saw but am still open to others. Plan on buying within the next 2 weeks

Sadlerracing529

And yes i just read through this whole thread and looked at all of your recommendations and seems i was correct in cc and bar length. I will do some research on the saws you all listed before making a decision. Again thank you for all the advice, and my apologies for not getting back sooner

doc henderson

No worries.  We all hope to cont. to hear from you.  Training was mentioned and I was going to point out that Stihl has about 8 videos on their website.  They are called safety videos, but they are really about how to use and maintain a chainsaw. They apply to all chainsaws. Usually "safety video"  means the obvious will be stated repeatedly, but these actually have some good info.  We all like to think that our time spent on the forum is helpful to others,  so we appreciate your feedback.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sadlerracing529

As far as safety goes i am not going to just dive right in, I am looking into learning proper techniques and safety before dropping any trees. I enjoy my life and would like to keep enjoying it. 
As for my location and budget, i am located in south east WI, and my budget is roughly $400. And i do want new because i want to know the maintenance has been done correct and on time its whole life.

lxskllr

Helmet and chaps will run you ~$150 at TractorSupply. The helmet's nice cause you get a face shield and muffs, so you'll still get value from it, even if you don't have to worry about stuff from above atm.

Sadlerracing529

Safety gear and accessories have a budget of their own and i will be getting safety equipment. 

wild262

Quote from: Sadlerracing529 on January 22, 2019, 09:43:39 AM
Sorry for the absense guys, just been really swamped at work. Thank you all for the good info.
As for my experience, the saw ive used in the past was a 45 or 50cc 20" bar and i could handle it just fine. Just have limited number of hours behind a saw. Maybe 6 hours total. As for the size of trees ill be cutting right now are mostly 13" or so pine trees.
I was leaning towards 50 cc and 18" bar as this just seemed right to me.
As for brand of saw i am leaning more towards husqvarna as there are plenty of local dealers around me.
I have been looking into the husky 450 over the last few days. And i am liking what ive heard of this saw but am still open to others. Plan on buying within the next 2 weeks

Good to hear from you.   With that size wood,  a 50cc would be aplenty, and would tackle even bigger wood if needed.    A 445, or 450 as you stated, would make a nice entry saw in your price range.  Take the time to look at other brand options as well.  You might find a 50cc with more features within your price point with another brand.  Check them out as well, and try to buy from a dealer if possible, to get support when you need, and you will need it when it needs maint.  Keeping a sharp chain is  preventive maint   Nothing harder on a saw then running with a dull chain.  Get a good filing guide, and use good fresh mix at all times. Clean air filter regular.  I've rambled enough, and I 'll let someone else voice there opinions.  You can always ask for advice on this site at anytime, and one of us will help you. :)

Sadlerracing529

Thanks wild262. I should mention i have been around engines my whole life, rebuilding everything from weed whacker engines to small block chevy engines, and was a mechanic for awhile, so i will be doing my own maintenance to the saw.
I looked at the 445 as well and i feel i would regret not getting that extra little bit of power. And yes i am checking into other brands as well with saws in this category. I feel stihl vs. Husy in my area makes husky the winner here as far as dealers and local parts go. Not ruling out anything at the moment that fits the 50cc/18" bar category

wild262

Had a feeling you might be mechanical inclined judging by your user name.  That will sure help you.

Old Greenhorn

Glad you made it back! I like your choice. I have been running a husky 450 for 3 years now as my main saw with an 18" bar and it does me quite well up to about 24" trees. I love the saw, starts every time, not a lick of trouble, I just keep it clean. I run non-ethanol gas in all my tools with Sta-bil and they always run well without starting problems.
 As mentioned above I am looking at a bigger saw for occasional use, but not because of anything being wrong with my 450, just oversight in my original buy. I wish I had gotten a 20 inch bar, and I now have one to put on, just not had the time. I wish it also had an adjustable oiler.
 Not sure what training might be available in your area, but a good class can take you a long way. I am sure you can find something. Best of luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

I did find this link for you, not sure how close you will find them to you. They cover several states in your area. You will have to do a bit of legwork, but it's a start. Sounds very similar to the GOL classes I mentioned earlier. Usually you have to book a spot in these months in advance. Around her we have more candidates than class openings. Maybe the same by you.  http://sawwtraining.com/index.html 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Sadlerracing529

Thanks Old Greenhorn, and i will look into that training link.

Sadlerracing529

Also to keep my options open and going by the 20cc jump alot of you speak of, how would the husqvarna 440e compare to the echo cs400 and stihl ms250? Might not be a bad option to get a 40cc now and a 60cc later when i do get my next house.
Still leaning towards the 50cc for now but want to do all the research i can and truely find the best option for me.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Sadlerracing529 on January 22, 2019, 11:06:46 AM
Safety gear and accessories have a budget of their own and i will be getting safety equipment.
do not forget gloves

"let the machines do the work"

reride82

My go-to saws are my 450(50cc), 372xp(72cc), and 395xp(95cc) with the 372xp being used the most. After using the 372 or 395, the 450 feels like a toy :D Granted, it can cut your leg off almost as easily as the other two ::) The only disadvantage is that 450 only has one bar mount stud, whereas if you step up to the 455 or 460 they have two bar mount studs so then when you upgrade to bigger saws, the bars are interchangeable. I didn't realize that when I replaced my old 455 with the 450. Otherwise, the 450 is a great saw.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

maple flats

I think if you are leaning towards a Husky saw (excellent choice) you might do well to look at a 543XP for your first saw. It is a pro saw and can be rebuilt, the Ranchers can not. The 543XP is a lighter saw and runs a 20" or an 18" bar well. It also spins faster than a Rancher and is lighter weight.
A 543XP should last you 20 years +.
In my early days I was fooled into buying Poulan Wild Thing saws (a 20" cut). I went thru one every year for 3 years before I got smart and bought my first better saw Back in 2004. That was a Husky 359, not a pro saw, but in between a pro and a homeowner. That saw still works well, with a 20" bar but it is heavier than my 543XP and it cuts slower. (I also have 3 other Huskies, all still working like new) I have never had to retire a good quality saw, but I retired 3 of the homeowner saws.
By the way, some fine battery powered saws are out there too and ones by a bigger name manufacturer should be fine for a starter saw, but maybe not right to cut the firewood to heat a home for the season. I recently bought a DeWalt cordless, not because I thought it was the best, but because my wife wanted a cordless chainsaw and I owned over 11 good Dewalt 20V Li/ion batteries and enough chargers to keep them all charged if I ended up needing to saw all day with it. You might want to look into some of those options for a first saw.
I heartily encourage you to get proper training too. I had used a chainsaw and somehow never got hurt using it in about 35 years when I took "game of logging" training. I learned a lot in that, I only took sessions 1 and 2, 3 and 4 go into professional logging and skidder use, I did not think I needed that. When I took my course, there were 12 taking the class as I recall, all but 4 were professional loggers, I was 1 or the 4 non pro's
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

MichaelS70

My first saw was a MS271 only thing id do different looking back is bought a 50cc pro saw instead of the ranch saw.Cost you more money but I think its worth the extra cash imo.

Allar

Quote from: maple flats on January 22, 2019, 03:17:34 PM
I think if you are leaning towards a Husky saw (excellent choice) you might do well to look at a 543XP for your first saw. It is a pro saw and can be rebuilt, the Ranchers can not. The 543XP is a lighter saw and runs a 20" or an 18" bar well. It also spins faster than a Rancher and is lighter weight.
In my early days I was fooled into buying Poulan Wild Thing saws (a 20" cut). I went thru one every year for 3 years before I got smart and bought my first better saw Back in 2004. That was a Husky 359, not a pro saw, but in between a pro and a homeowner. That saw still works well, with a 20" bar but it is heavier than my 543XP and it cuts slower. (I also have 3 other Huskies, all still working like new) I have never had to retire a good quality saw, but I retired 3 of the homeowner saws.
By the way, some fine battery powered saws are out there too and ones by a bigger name manufacturer should be fine for a starter saw, but maybe not right to cut the firewood to heat a home for the season. I recently bought a DeWalt cordless, not because I thought it was the best, but because my wife wanted a cordless chainsaw and I owned over 11 good Dewalt 20V Li/ion batteries and enough chargers to keep them all charged if I ended up needing to saw all day with it. You might want to look into some of those options for a first saw.
I heartily encourage you to get proper training too. I had used a chainsaw and somehow never got hurt using it in about 35 years when I took "game of logging" training. I learned a lot in that, I only took sessions 1 and 2, 3 and 4 go into professional logging and skidder use, I did not think I needed that. When I took my course, there were 12 taking the class as I recall, all but 4 were professional loggers, I was 1 or the 4 non pro's

The only issue that i have with 543xp is that it's not made in sweden.
So can we even call it the real husqvarna..Or is it more like Husqvarna looking poulan that they used to make.

Even thought usually japanese do some high quality stuff.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Sadlerracing529

Quote from: maple flats on January 22, 2019, 03:17:34 PM
The 543xp is just out of my budget, i do alot of out of state hunting trips and with what ive got going on $400 is my budget for a saw to still allow me the proper safety equipment and looking into training. As for the electric saws, maybe I'm a little stubborn but i just have to have gas powered equipment...thats just my thing lol. I appreciate the advice however

doc henderson

I agree sadler.   i think the electric is further down the line.  i have the 40 volt Stihl.  I started with the chainsaw and a blower.  they start every time, but not for firewood. I use the saw for a quick cut or for rustic trimming inside my shop. The battery and charger are the most expensive.  After that not much more to add the concrete/metal saw, and hedge trimmer, and weed wacker.  these are nice around the house but not for commercial in my op.  Go get you a good quality medium saw at the dealer you trust the most.  Even thought you are mechanical, some of the new saws will get a glitch and the memos from the company will help out.  i have had my dealer dx. over the phone and work through their lunch hour to get me up an running.  best wishes and be safe.  My first real saw was a Stihl 046 and it is still my favorite saw.  I paid almost $400 26 years ago, now they are over $1,000.  You will make the right decision for you!

Sadlerracing529

Thanks to everyones input i think i have enough info to research over the next week or so and make my decision. Ill get back to you guys with what i end up buying.

wild262

I see nothing wrong with what your looking at with your budget.  The Echo 400 is a fine saw.  One of the better 40cc class saws out there.  The Husky  445, and 450, and Stihl ms-250 are fine as well.  They are both 50cc, and the Stihl a 45cc.   If you want to stick with 40cc, the Husky 440 is a good one.  Yes they are all clamshell design, but that not such a big deal.  And yes, you can rebuild them.  These type of saws don't usually have a lot of features of the pro models, but for what they are they should service your needs fine.  Taking care of them will go along way towards there longevity.  You with your background, that shouldn't be a problem. ;) 

DelawhereJoe

If $400 is your budget then a Husqvarna 450 rancher will cost you that at Lowes or an Echo cs490 at $350 and Echo 590 timberwolf at $400. If it was me I'd go with the echo cs 590 due to its ability to run a 24" bar and its saving over the 455 or 460 rancher.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Sadlerracing529

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on January 22, 2019, 07:42:27 PM
If $400 is your budget then a Husqvarna 450 rancher will cost you that at Lowes or an Echo cs490 at $350 and Echo 590 timberwolf at $400. If it was me I'd go with the echo cs 590 due to its ability to run a 24" bar and its saving over the 455 or 460 rancher.
A local dealer has a 450 (not rancher) for $349 and a 450 e series for $368, these were the two 450's i was looking at. I know my original post said rancher but i feel the rancher model is unnecessary after some research. I will check out those saws you listed as well

Thank You Sponsors!