iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sold my mill

Started by ozarkgem, April 21, 2019, 06:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

Been a while since I have been on here. Sold my mill in Jan. I still have all
my stuff accumulated to build a diesel portable mill. Spent the last 2 summers
in Alaska and will leave on May 1 to go back up. My girl friend has some property just north of Homer so maybe I will haul my mill (once its built) up
and saw up a cabin. I see quite a few portable mills there. I stopped at a place
in Anchorage and they wanted to know if I had a portable mill as they had a pile of logs to mill on there lot. Their mill was at a different location and they needed help. I saw a few ads for portable milling at the rate of 150.00 per hr.
Figured I could saw up my cabin and sell my mill and have a free cabin. But this summer I will be in Whittier (AK) driving a tour bus and scoping out property.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

thecfarm

All sounds good. Good luck with the sawing of the cabin.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Wow Jim, it's so good to see you come up for air.  Check in occasionally to let us know what is going on in your life and to share some of your adventures.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ozarkgem

Quote from: Magicman on April 21, 2019, 05:11:54 PM
Wow Jim, it's so good to see you come up for air.  Check in occasionally to let us know what is going on in your life and to share some of your adventures.  :)
Yep going to keep in touch more often. I still like milling I just could never
make any money at it. I have stacks and stacks of lumber here. I see you
are still making sawdust.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Magicman

Yup, but I do not have "stacks and stacks of lumber".  The only lumber that I saw is for customers and I get paid to do it.  ;D  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ozarkgem

Here all I got was , I will bring you some logs and you can saw on shares or oh
I didn't know I was going to have to pay for lumber, I will think about it.

Magicman

I understand your dilemma.  There are also some sawmill owners around here that are nursing stacks of lumber.  Thankfully I (almost) never sawed for shares and got out of the lumber selling business before the end of my first year of sawing.

The (almost) above was the one instance while I was building the Cabin Addition Reply #36.  A guy came along that had 6 smallish Cypress logs that he wanted sawn and was sorta dragging his feet saying that he really didn't need that much lumber.  I was needing some for window/door facing and trim so we made a deal.

One board for him and one board for me as it came off of the sawmill.

I ended up with this whack of mostly 1X8's and he went home with his.  Thankfully, the above is the only instance where I have ever sawn for shares.

hacknchop

Sounds like it worked out good for you each got some lumber around here the mennonites would want to know whose getting the slabs. :)
Often wrong never indoubt

ozarkgem

Quote from: hacknchop on April 22, 2019, 03:43:19 PM
Sounds like it worked out good for you each got some lumber around here the mennonites would want to know whose getting the slabs. :)
Ain't that the truth LOL!

Thank You Sponsors!