iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chevrolet 6.2 liter gas engine?

Started by Phorester, August 14, 2005, 10:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorester

The thread on Dodge engines got me to thinking about asking this question.  What's your opinion on the Chevrolet 6.2 liter gas engine.  I have a 2002 3/4 ton chev.  4 wheel drive pickup.  It's gone through 2 such engines in 8 weeks.

'The first one blew at 27,800 miles.  Piston rod in one of the back cylinders snapped into 3 pieces (Had 3 weeks left on the 36 month warranty).  Put the second one in, and it locked up less than 800 miles later.  The mechanic said it was bad fuel that held the fuel injector open and shot water and dirt into the cylinder, locking it up tight.  Fortunately, it locked up as I was starting it in a parking lot, not driving down the highway, so other than breaking the armature in the starter, he doesn't think any major damage was done to the engine. 

But my mechanic said he'd heard that Chevrolet was starting to have trouble with these 6.2L engines.  Anybody heard anything about them?

Captain

First of all, the 6.2 Liter engine is a 1980s, early 1990s Diesel engine.  If you have a 2002 2500HD, you have a 6.0 Liter.

Gasoline Fuel Injectors can stick open and "hydrolock" a cylinder with fuel, but rarely without an accompanying driveability symptom such as a misfire.  The cause may have been rust and water in the fuel system.  The failure is not likely the engine itself, but fuel system contamination that was not addressed at the time of the first repair.  The GEN III V8s are an good reliable series thus far since 1999 and rarely suffer mechanical tragedies other than from outside influences.

Bottom line, make sure the source of your comtamination was repaired INCLUDING the fuel lines.

Captain

DanG

Lissen to de Cap'n!  He know about dis. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Phorester

Whoops, Captain, you are indeed correct about engine size.  Don't know how that ".2" crept in.
Thanks for the feedback.

Thank You Sponsors!