iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Savin' money big time

Started by Faron, September 25, 2005, 05:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

Bought that Bi directional tractor from a dealer 350 miles away.  The delivery charge was going to be $3.00 per mile, so I figured I had just as well rent a drop deck trailer and go get it with our semi.  Rented one for $100./day, loaded up our trade in and commenced.  Loaded up the new tractor, heard what a deal we had gotten, and started home.  Bout 40 miles down the road, blew a trailer tire.  Limped into a convenience store and started making calls.  6 hours and $660.00 later we were on our way.  Let's see..... $100.00 rental,  $660.00 tire, 100 gal fuel,  My brother's and my time........ What a deal!!!!! ;) ;) :D :D :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Paschale

So what condition was that tire before you headed out?  Are you responsible for that tire, regardless of the condition it was in before you rented the semi?  That's seems a little shifty.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Faron

The tires looked to be in good shape before we left. Tire guy thought a steel belt tore.   Since I had to buy a new tire instead of a recap, I thought the guy I rented from ought to stand the actual tire cost- about half the total bill.  He didn't see it that way, but did say if we needed to use the trailer again, it would be rent free.  Maybe he figures he'll need another new tire. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Dan_Shade

what kind of tire?

that's a pretty expensive tire...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Faron

Lowboy tire--17.5 in rim.   The tire cost about $300. The rest was labor, milage, and they had to go about 36 miles just to find one in the next town.  I knew it was going to be expensive--An oddball size tire 300 miles from home.... ::)

james

im pullin a lowboy use those tires not uncommon to go thru 10 to 15 tires in a year 120,000 miles
ouch glad the company pays for them :o :o
james

Faron

We're looking for a dropdeck for the farm and sawmill.  You can bet we'll have a spare and tools on board next long trip.  ;) Gonna get a spare for the hopper bottom we pull, too.

sawguy21

Murphy's Law. You won't need that spare until the one time you don't have it. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

J_T

Lots of those dropdeck's have 15'' tires on them  ??? I think they are chepper ???
Jim Holloway

Faron

Unfortunately, I'm pretty familiar with Mr. Murphy and his rules ;)  He'd move in with me if I let him.  It might be a good idea to look for a dropdeck with a more common tire, if I could find one.

Joe W

The trailer I used to run had a detatchable gooseneck,was rated at 35 ton and had 8 10.00x 20 tires.Seems to be pretty common size on this style trailer.

Thank You Sponsors!