iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the 2nd neatest website you know of?

Started by Bro. Noble, November 27, 2002, 07:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Tom's recent post as well as the post on favorite relaxing music made me wonder what your next to favorite website is.  We all know what the #1 site is.

I think my pick would be www.topozone.com.  It will give you a detailed may of anywhere in the US.  If Tillaway gave us the coordinates of the area he will be working next week,  we could almost see him on the map.  If you asked for backbone ridge in Ozark county Mo. you would get a detailed map of our farm.  If you asked for the lost dutchman mine in Arizonayou might-----never mind, it's really not a very good site.  Gotta go now.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Where I like to visit varies so much from day to day that I don't think I really have a "favorite" place to be other than here.  I spend a lot of time in Research books now.  I guess it is a sign of getting older.   Reading about anything new and how to do it or identify it really turns me on.  One of my favorite reading spots is the Forest Products Laboratory Wood Handbook.  I find something new every time I read it. I have to research stuff to understand it and have to go back because I forget it.  It's kind of perpetual intertainment. :D

woodmills1

hey noble try microsofts terraserver.com you can zoom in on topo maps and see aeral photos if they are avaliable.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

johncinquo

if you those try http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/index.html , Might as well go to the source that makes up most of those.  The only thing is they are a little expensive to buy.  I have also used globexplore.com with great results.  I love trying to find the specific spot I was out hunting or walking and found something interesting.  My second favorite spot- the chainsaw forum on arborist site.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I like to play with Terrafly sometimes and fly around my house or over cities.
http://www.terrafly.fiu.edu/

Bibbyman

WowZers! That's really something!  First time I've ever been able to key in my address and have it come up EXACTLY on my place!  Just pleased to note that the EPA does not list any polluters in my area. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

My second favorite place is E-Bay. I don't have much time to look around the web unless its research for something. I wish I had more time to play.

If you like Dark demented humor try www.joecartoon.com its pretty disgusting at times but can be hilarious. Noble you need sound!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Andre

I am using Opera web browser and the topozone has a problem.  After the map is loaded I get a java mouse key error that will not quit, have to use task manager to kill the browser.
The terrafly seems to never finish loading.
Switched to MS explorer and both work, it's a conspiracy I tell you.

Great web pages.

If you like reading old tech books and magazines here is a good place to spend some time.
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/

See ya
  Andre' B.

Bro. Noble

Don,
Yes it's rough country-----and real hilly too !

Tom,
I couldn't get terra fly off the ground,  I think my computer is afraid to fly.

Jeff,
If I had sound, I probably couldn't hear it.

DanG,

Are there fish in all those streams and lakes?

Noble

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

As long as we are showing off our homesteads, here is the Cadenhead home place.  See that red 46 in the upper left  hand corner?  Due North of it is a bend in Thomas Creek that I have identified as a Chicken Heart.  The southerly bend to the east of it is mine, a 660 foot wide strip as wide as the bend that runs south to the hard road.  My house sits just to the east of the red 46. See the red "X"?  There aren't a lot of hills. :-/
See that alligator? :D

Haytrader

Hey Noble,

Are you sending responses from Arizona?
Have you found it yet?
 ???
Haytrader

Bro. Noble

Tom,

Go to the enlarged scale and it will probably show your house.

Noble

Jeff

Here is a hint. You can click on the maps where you live or the place you want to point out on topozone and it will leave a red x. You can then copy that address to show theexact point of interest.

Example: Our Cabin

Bro. Noble

Haytrader,

I'm getting behind with my advertures.  I hate to say too much about them.  If there is a lot of gold there I've got a partner that can 'borrow' a big Cat loader.  We may need it Friday on another caper.

Hey Perry,  If I'm buying, maybe we should wait till later to eat----just in case.

Seriously,  our family loves to visit old mines and "ghost towns" in Colorado.  Topozone maps are a real help in locating them.

Noble

Tom

I don't know if I'd trust a topozone map or not.  The roads aren't right around my place and the houses in the swamp don't show.  The cartographer must have ridden down the hard road and wrote addresses off of the mail boxes.  There are houses showing that were built long after I bought this place but me and my neighbors don't show.  'Course we have to pipe sunlight back here and run our clocks ahead to keep up with the city folks. :P

Fla._Deadheader

www.treasure-scoops.com  Go there, Buy sumpthin. We is STARVIN !!!! :D :D :D :D

Yer right, Noble. Them Terra things are pretty good fer findin stuff.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

They must be. Apparently did not pay thier server fees. I got this:

This web site has been temporarily disabled.  

Please contact the webmaster of this site if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, the hosting service BITES down here. We can't even get FAST internet. Sometimes it takes forever to download images. They were "supposed" to re-set the server. Boy, I really enjoy paying for service that I don't get !!!
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

I host websites ;D  Hows the forum's service? Thats what you would get from my servers.

Fla._Deadheader

My computer guru buys space on a server and hosts several websites himself. He and I have access to the server and make our own changes and store our own images. Would you allow that?? This guy is Microsoft certified and does a fine job. He might be interested??
  Funny thing, I just went to post on this form and got a page not found message?? :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

that was your browser or your connection.  I can set anything up, but if he already has a server then you probably can't do it cheaper.

Fla._Deadheader

Let me try this again. He was buying-renting space from a company that was a hosting company. They have been bought out 3 times now, and they are currently in Kentucky. We control our own websites, but, he has the allotted space from this other company. Make any sense???  He pays the other company for server space and charges us for the hosting of our sites. He does NOT have his own server.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!