iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roundup Hack/Squirt

Started by GlennCz, June 12, 2006, 09:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennCz

Hi everyone, last year, Aug-Sept while around the logger cutting my property I did quite a bit of hack/squirt on beech(Penna) with roundup, i forget the dilution, but i know I didn't dilute it much, just as recommended, alot of the small beech  trees are dead, but not all of them, and it seems like all the big ones are alive, but the very tippy ends of the top branches seem to be dead. ON the big ones, i did quite a few Hack Squirts all around the trees. 

My question is - 9 or 10 months later, will some of these living trees still die? 

Is there a better way, an even more potent poison that will kill these beech stone cold with a squirt two? I have 70 acres of timber, not terrible with beech, but nevertheless i want to manage my piece for timber and get rid of the beech.

Glenn in the Poconos/Penna.   

Norm

I'm guessing if the tree is still alive the roundup has pretty much done all it's going to. I use tordon on fresh cut stumps, it works pretty good.

Weekend_Sawyer

Take a look at the thread I have going over on the 'Ask a Forester' section

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=17120.0

Garlon 3A used full strength is 44x more potent than roundup.
I found it at forestry supply

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1901

ounce for ounce it cost about the same as roundup.
It's also real bad for skin and eyes so be careful if you use it.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

brdmkr

I think you 'd have better luck with either of the above herbicides using the hack and squirt method.  Roundup will work in that application, but it is really formulated for a foliar application.  I personally have used tordon with good results on stumps.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Coon

If you applied Roundup last fall and the little trees or whatever have green leaves on them right now at this time of the year they are ALIVE!!!! 

Garlon 3A is definately alot more potent than Roundup but.............  I don't know if you really want to spray that on your trees as it will also burn out nearly any other living plant that comes in contact with the overspray of the chemical.   ???

We normally mix roundup at 1 Litre per acre for the fields.  This will also be sufficient for around the yard.  If you are planning on killing trees with it I would normally use it at about 1.5 Litres per acre.  That composes to gallon of chemical to 20 gallons of water for fields and 1 gallon of chemical for about 10-15 gallons water for spraying trees.

Brad.
:)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

GlennCz

Am I right in that I wouldn't have to worry about the Garlon really killing anything else becauase i'm using hack/squirt and not getting chem on anything but ax cut.

today i did a test on some beech trees and I girdled them, and i found that to be a royal pain, esp since i timbered last year so it's hard getting around yet, (although my land has been open for firewood cutting and that is going well.  Actually the whole logging operation worked out great, beacuse i marked every tree wtih my logger and made sure i ddin't overcut on that first run through. 

Glenn in the Poconos

Tom

Glenn,
The only way that chemical can reach another plant when you inject it is if there are root grafts.

I got rid of  a lot of Loblolly Bay a few years ago injecting Arsenal. Even though I know there were a lot of root grafts I didn't see much die that I didn't inject.  Loblolly Bay is real bad for root sprouting.  It will generate whole new forests, given a little sunlight.  I still had to inject all of the trees that I didn't want.

By the way, Arsenal is a good product.  I think that it may require an applicator's license now.  It was generally available when I used it.

Weekend_Sawyer

When I hack/squirt there is little if no overspray. I spray just enough to fill the hack.

I did spray some saplings and an area about a foot around the sapling is affected.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!