iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 395 Vs Stihl 066-Bar length

Started by Jim Spencer, March 06, 2003, 04:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Spencer

Does anyone know why the Stihl 066 has about 2" longer reach with the 16' bar than the Husquvarna?
I have a Logosol mill and my friend also bought a Logosol last fall and they supplied him with a Husquvarna 395 while when I bought my mill a year earlier they supplied me with the Stihl 066.

He was having a rough/ripple cut problem on his mill and brought his Husquvarna 395 over to try it on my Logosol mill and the usable bar length is about 2" shorter than when I am milling with my Stihl 066.

Logosol is now back to supplying the Stihl 066 with all their mills.
I just thought it is weird and kind of a bummer that the part of
his bar that protrudes from the saw is so short by approx. 2".

Any speculation by this group would be appreciated.
Jim

Oregon_Rob

Did you ask logosol why they switched?
I'm trying to decid on my next saw for the chainsaw mill!
Chainsaw Nerd

Jim Spencer

I have heard that the Husky was a better saw but because of the difference in the usable length of the 16" blade and losing 2" in the usable length I am certainly glad I have the Stihl 066.
I was just shocked by the difference in the size of log that they cut.
Jim

Greg

My two cents on recent chainsaw buying experiences.

Ended up buying a new Jonsered 2165 with a 24" bar, below cost, as the dealer was clearing out all of these.

I talked to three different Stihl dealers and found them all quite arrogant, telling me what I needed, not listening, etc. They were obviously more interested in pushing what they had in inventory than addressing my needs. Of course, here in Ohio I'm not exactly in "big forest" country - so I suspect its a bit unusual when they get requests for bigger saws.

One minor point about model numbers. The Jonsereds and the Huskys are very straightforward, as the CCs are right there in the model number. A H372 is 72 ccs. A J2165 is a 65 cc saw. A H395 is 95ccs. Pretty easy to remember...

I understand Stihl has both old and new model number schemes, none of which are very intuitive. Not a big deal, but it did increase confusion for this buyer.

Anyways, I'm sure the Stihls are great saws too, but I do not like pushy salesmen, and am very happy with what I've got.

Cheers and be safe!
Greg

Thank You Sponsors!