iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer Axles

Started by EZ, March 16, 2003, 09:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Hi Guys,
I was just wondering what the advantages of a mill with the axle or axles clear in the back of the trailer. Like TK mills, there axle & carriage are all the way back.
EZ

biziedizie

Me thinks it all comes down to weight distribution!

Steve

Tom

Ez,
I have a 24 foot mill with the axles in the center. The swing of the end of the mill goes well outside of the footprint of the tires so one must compensate when turning.  I can turn shorter and back easier in tight quarters because the hitch/axle distance is short.

Putting Axles at the rear of the frame causes the mill to track inside of the turn.  While it helps to control the swing of the end of the mill it cuts the corner tighter and closes on things at the center of the mill.  Check out why Semi's must swing so wide to make a corner.  

Your mirrors can see the sides of the mill but you can't see the swing at the end too good.

There is so much weight in the head of the mill that it can be used to balance it regardless of where the axles are put.

EZ

Thanks Tom,
Your right about the semi's wide turning. I never even gave it a thought about that.
EZ

Will_Johnson

EZ:

A couple of things on where we put our axles.

First, pictures are deceiving.  Because of foreshortening, the photos of our mills tend to make the axles look farther back than they are.  This is not an exact figure, but our axles are about 3/4 of the way back.  Our "hero" shots make them look farther back.

We have ours where it is for a few reasons.  First, it helps acheive the tandem goals of keeping tongue weight low and trailer tracking well if we have the cutting head ride over the axle toward the back of the mill.  This is probably a matter of opinion, but we prefer the way this design tracks to the way a "center axle" trailer tracks.  There's no "pop out" of your back end into adjoining lanes etc.  But turns will be wider.

Second, the axle 3/4 back keeps tires out of the way of the log loaders, removing an obstacle from loading and protecting tires from log damage.

Final is another safety/liability thing.  We have been concerned that if axle is at center and someone brings cutting head to back of machine without lowering rear supports, front of mill will pop up in the air like a see-saw.  With our design, weight of cutting head is counter-balanced by the cutting deck in front of the axle, making this unlikely.

Hope this helps clarify things.  

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Will. Ain't it amazing that ya Don'T get attacked for posting all this excellent info, like ya did at the "other" forum?? ::) ;D ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Fla._Deadheader

The one where that Bibby guy is the log ekspert
   First, it is ridiculed;

EZ

Will,
Thank you for the complete input on your mill axles position. Pictures don't favor the way things look in real life. I've seen your mills at the P. B. Festival, I was really impress with the performents of sawing & loading of logs. Funny I never paid attention of the axle displacement.
Thanks again.
As always I really injoy your posts.
EZ

Bibbyman

Dur's a Bibbyman on the Woodweb too??  

I bet he's smart and handsome like me. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

Welcome, Will! I, for one, am grateful that some of you manufacturers are willing to share your time and knowledge with us. It's great to get the benefit of your research and testing straight from the horse's mouth. It sure beats listening to a lot of speculation and guesses. If you throw in the occasional plug for your product, I don't have a problem with it. It kinda comes with the territory. Shucks, I put in plugs for products I'm not even affiliated with, if I'm impressed with them. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Yeah, Bibster, there's a guy over there posing as you. We all know he ain't, though, 'cause he's a big ugly fellow with hair all over his face, and he wears overhauls. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

whitepe

Man,
You mean there are two Bibbyman's?    ;D
WOW.
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Jeff

:D :D  Its good to laugh at 5:00 in the morning.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

EZ

At times, I laugh so loud at 5 AM, I wake my wife up. Is nice to start the day with a smile on your face. :)
EZ

Will_Johnson

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys.  Hope it's helpful info.

Fla._Deadheader

One thing about this bunch, if yer info ain't helpful, you'll hear about that too. ::) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!