iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My mill pics

Started by biziedizie, April 02, 2003, 09:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

I hope I did this right but here it goes!
This is my mill and this is the shed that I built out of lumber that came from the mill.
  OK now this sucks as I can't send in the pics as they are too big!
  What do I do now?

Steve

Tom

picture instructions are on the knowledge base under "Forum Tips" or follow this link.

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1040350320-13933.txt

biziedizie

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@forestryforum.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Oh oh what happened!  :D
  Can I just forward these pics to you Tom as I have no idea as to what I am doing!

Steve

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

I got an Error too. >:(

Looks like the link has an extry space.

Try this one.

https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1040350320-13933.txt

Even better,  spend some time in the Knowledge Base.  Lots of stuff there and more is being added.  I've even found answers to questions I didn't know I had. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

biziedizie

I checked the forum and there's nothing there that can help. The problem that I'm having is that I can't post pics that are over 15k. I can size my pics to 20k but they don't look very good! If I go smaller there won't be a pic at all. I scanned the pics and maybe that's the problem.........should I try a digi cam?

Steve

Bibbyman

Picture size will only reduce the file size just so much.  Most every time,  you'll have to use some file compression or "optimizer" as the instructions in the Knowledge Base suggested.

I think there is posted a link to free picture optimization software somewhere on the forum.  I've not used it as every picture editing program I've use have someplace to specify the compression factor.  In most cases it is listed under the "options" button on the "File/Save" popup.  

On your next try,  you may do a "File" and "Save" (or "Save as") and note if there is an "options" button.  On my Adobe Photoshop,  it popsup a dialog box every time asking for "image quality" and has a sliding scale from "small file" to "large file".

You likely have what it takes to make a good quality picture 15k or less.  It's just a matter of what your software is calling the process. "optimize", "compress" or "image quality".  

Just one of those struggles everyone goes through on their first few tries.

If you'd like,  send me one of your pictures at bibbyman@forestryforum.com and I'll see what I can do with it.
Sawing since '94

biziedizie

Hi Bibbyman I went through the forum and yes there's alot of imfo and I looked at the free software but it seems that it's now pay if ya want it.
  I will try that file and save thing and see what that does. I did the scanning at my buddies place lastnight while watching the game and in between beers and talking I musta screwed up somewhere!
  I will try again if you can't do anything with the pic that I just sent you.

Steve

Bibbyman

Here's what I could do with it.  Not my best results but..The log looks to be in the shade.

Sawing since '94

biziedizie

Bibbyman the log is under cover but the pic looks good! I sent you the other two aswell.
   Thanks!

Steve

Bibbyman

I went out and used the Search function and found there is a link to an optimizer that some people are using.

XAT Optimizer software

If you go up and poke Search and look for "xat",  you will find quite a number of posts and examples of where it has been used.

The quality suffers a bit due to low light.  I tried to brighten them some.
Sawing since '94

biziedizie

Ahh yes I did finally find the free downloads! Just gotta find some time to play with it.
  Thanks!

Steve

ohsoloco

I wish I had a roof over my mill  :-/

Speaking of this, I'd like to build a post and beam sawshed, but I was wondering if it will be alright to run a 16ft. girt in order to make clearance to roll my logs in.  If so, how big should it be?  6x6, 8x8, 8x10, etc.   ???

biziedizie

The beam that I have is a real 2x12 made out of three pieces that have been laminated. I staggered the joints and used carriage bolts at the joints. A laminated beam is much stronger then a solid beam unless of course you use a glue lam beam or an engineered beam.
  I can cut 16 ft on my mill but the span that I have inbetween the posts is 20' and it makes life easier when rolling in a 16 ft log.
  I saved about 1800 by cutting my own lumber to have a roof and it sure is nice to have when it rains!

Steve

Ed_K

here's my ez Baker, well it's under there somewheres.
By next winter I'll be under a real roof too.
Thanks for the 20' beam suggestion. I was wondering about span for getting 16'6" logs in.
 Ed K
Ed K

biziedizie

Ed when you get around to building the shed for your mill try to have at least a minimum cover of 14' or 16' long. I went with 12' rafters off an existing building and it's a bit tight. I wasn't trying to enclose my mill just trying to cover it as I was more concerned about having air flow and not wanting to be  breathing sawdust and exhaust fumes all daylong. At first I thought that the height of the roof was going to be a big concern but it's not as the tractor can still lift the bucket high enough and not wipe out the supporting beam. I'm on a cement pad that has a nice slope to it and that's a plus as the water from the lube system drains off nicely!

Haytrader

ohsoloco,

Wish I could figure out how to post a pic so I could show you my saw shed. I have tried and tried and just quit trying.
I made a shed with a header beam that spans 30 ft. on one side and 24 ft. on the end. We have an iron dealer  nearby that has a "used pile" which is reject stuff or miss cuts by manufacturers. It sells for .17 a pound. I bought some 2x6x3/16 rectangular tubing and staggered one on top of another. I ended up with 2x12 beam to sit my rafters on.  If you would like to see pics of my shed, just send me your E mail addy and I will send them to you.
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Haytrader, I get a lot of enjoyment from your posts. Posting pics is really very simple. What is it, exactly, that is confusing to you?? I will try to walk you through it, if you are interested.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ed_K

Thanks, biziedizie. I'm also looking to just cover the mill. Maybe wall in the west side to slow the wind. Am thinking of building a sort of leanto / pole shed, with the roof sloping towards the west, to get snow to melt and slide off quicker. A floor would be a plus, sonna tubes to start tho. It has to look tempory to keep taxes down. More ideas will be more than welcome.
 Thanks Ed K.
Ed K

Haytrader

Harold,

I sure would welcome any help. I have actually tried very hard and just can't get er done. I sent ya a PM.

TY
Haytrader
Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!