Sponsors:

European trembling aspen

Started by SwampDonkey, November 03, 2007, 06:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yup  ;D

European trembling aspen Populus tremula

Link

In that link you see yellow lichen in the limbs. We get that here on our aspen also, down near the Bay of Fundy coast.

But, this aspen is slower growing than our native trembling aspen and one of the last to leaf out in spring according to a site a found in Scotland.

Can't seem to find a site about trees of Europe, just books. Is there any country over there that has a government website to look up trees, similar to US and Canada tree sites?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timburr

SwampyDonk, I see your plight.  As we're privy to Google UK, I thought to help you out, a quick search is in order.  No government websites on tree id. (presume that's what you're seeking) and yes there seems to be more book info. than cyber.

A number of private links for your perusal

PICTURE HEAVY LINK
BETTER DESCRIPTION LINK
PICTURE LIGHT LINK

If you want specific info., ask.
Sense is not common

Left Coast Chris

The European Trembling Aspen is completly different than aspens that grow generally above 5000 feet in elevation here in northern Calif.     Ours may be Quaking Aspen.  Not sure.   This pic in not too good but this is what we have:

Is the wood used for anything?  Good for woodworking?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Yes, I recognize it's a different tree. The leaves seem more similar to large tooth aspen of NA.

In North America, trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides) and quaking aspen are the same tree, just different common names.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timburr

Sense is not common

tonich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 03, 2007, 06:15:50 PM
Is there any country over there that has a government website to look up trees, similar to US and Canada tree sites?

Not in BG.
For some further information, just ask!

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on November 04, 2007, 12:02:37 AM
Is the wood used for anything?  Good for woodworking?

Generally, not in BG.

Swede

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

SwampDonkey

Thanks folks, lots of good info if ya know the right people.  ;) 8)

tonich

Aspen (Populus tremula) is a commonly spread tree species, across Bulgaria – from 200 to 1800 meters above sea level altitude. It appears as a single tree, as well as grown in groups, or forming pure stands. It is considered mostly hilly and mountain tree. As a typical pioneer tree, it takes fast advantage over treeless areas, mainly due to its excellent productivity of rootshoots, as stated above. Thus, almost all of the unmixed aspen stands are secondary, replacing the more desired tree species, such as Common Beech, Norway Spruce, Scots and Austrian Pine.

Regarding site conditions, it shows a relatively good adaptability – the best, among all poplar species around here. Nevertheless it is a fast growing tree, sustainable to frost and insects, generally it is considered junk in my region. Here aspen takes mainly Beech and Spruce area, which tree species are of a great importance for the local economy.
The main wood usage in Bulgaria is for pulp production, as well as for safety-matches. Although wood is light and soft, it is not being used for woodworking.
At least, not commonly.

My particular experience with Aspen is regarding turnover, bringing back primary stands with more desired species, by means of biological features – shorter live cycle and loosing rootsucker regeneration ability earlier. Prolonging the rotation period, by slightly decreasing tree number per hectare has worked very well for me. That leaded to a small number of big aspen trees with no regeneration potential and almost 100 % rooted trunks, more or less. Afterwards, the marginal seeding from the border mature stand of Common Beech and Norway Spruce was easily carried into effect. The result is a sapling stand with less than 20 % of Aspen participation, which is easy controlled, by the first thinnings with main aspect future tree composition. Within the further thinnings, our main goal should be keeping the small composition rates of Aspen – up to 15 % share.

PS. Swampdonkey sorry, but no pictures! I still don’t have my own camera – have to collect money for the NB visit.  :D :D :D ::)

SwampDonkey

I'll send word to the Merchant Marine to keep an eye out for ya.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!