iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally ran a mill!

Started by sawdust, November 23, 2008, 12:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdust

I finally got to run a mill  8) And made a movie of the thing. (I know better than to post without pictures) :)
Lewis is in the hard hat, he owns the mill and Bruce has the ponytail, he owns the big Alco planer and a 48" headsaw the scares me stupid.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VlSJ3Sc7Or8

I am not in the film since I was running the camera. This is just the most ingenious machine (though severely underpowered).
This thing is self explanatory, hydraulic dogs, hydraulic roller which will also position the log so it is parallel to the blade, the up down is electric as is the side to side. Hydraulics move the carriage back and forth. There is a little spring loaded guard that brings the board back to you when the carriage returns, can be seen in the video. Ultimately the same effect as a swingmill but less walking and fewer passes. Takes more power to run two blades than one though.
I spent today making 2x4 out of white poplar.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

okie

Congrats!  8)  8) Are you hooked?  I really like that mill. looks like a real straight forward design, is it a factory built or home built? IMO, it dont really look that underpowered to me considering it is cutting a board every pass. I think that is a awesome design, I have seen a similar design, I think that it is called the woodsman hotsaw or made by the same company, it dont have the bells and whistles that one does and not as fast.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

zopi

That's a right neat rig...acts like an MD...

yeh..you'll have a mill soon...sawdust is infectious...and incurable..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sawdust

The wood in the video is pretty punky. The engine is a kubota 44 hp four cylinder turbo, cute little thing. Uses almost no diesel 5 gallons will run it the whole day. Max size the blades will allow I think is 10 inches tall and six wide. the vertical has teeth brazed right on the horizontal has f pattern circle teeth.
bed time. david

I can't wait for my next days off. Bruce says he wont even charge me to saw all his timber :D :D :D

zopi

yeah..yer hooked...you need to try out a band mill..had my doubts and wanted a swinger real bad...these guys talked me out of it..<G> Glad they did...'specially as i have gotten interested in
timberframe construction.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Sawdust A  big congrats there is No Turning Back NOW Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sawdust

I think I figured out the power issue, the air filter was real hard to remove the dust had it packed in there like tamped sand. The fuel filter only has Japanese writing on it... not replaced since it has been in this county. 1500 hrs on the meter. See about gettin new filters tomorow. I wonder if the guys at NAPA can translate the Japanese? :D

sawdust

wkheathjr

That's some awesome machine! It had me drolling!

sawdust

I ran across a picture of another one! Bob Dilts has one, a ff member from Ontario.

Tom

The computer I'm using has a dial up connection at 50kbs.  God only knows what y'all are talking about.  :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

Tom 50kbs  :o :) My one runs at a steady 28.8kps  You gotta love dialup  ;) :D :D ;D

Chris

sawdust

Morning Tom, I forgot about living with the twisted pair! My highspeed is only medium speed right now :-[for some reason I have to lift my receiver then hang up again to get the thing to start making the first move.

The mill is a manufactured D&L Double cut made out in BC. I think it may have been a prototype or at least a test bed for new things.

Interesting thing about it, if the butt of the log is clean then you might cut the whole log and only have to cut into the bark surface once. the rest of the cuts are always from the center out. This would change with a really big log, still there would be very few cuts into a dirty surface and only with the horizontal blade. This might explain why the vertical blade has brazed on teeth and the horizontal has circles.

Tom

I thought that you might have been talking about a double cut, but didn't know for sure.  Double Cut was once a sponsor of the forum, but withdrew.  There are some pretty good stories, and pictures, in the old threads, of this mill. and the owner of the company, Lindsay.  We used to enjoy some pleasant visiting hours at the Agriculture show in Moultrie, Georgia

Tom

Whew!  Back to my broadband connection.  I don't know those folks with dial-up make it.  It must take pure dedication. :D :)

Meadows Miller

Tom It sure is mate or just having to live out in the sticks  ::) ;) :D :D ;D

Chris

thecfarm

Tom,that's why there are trees to cut,rocks to dig out.If I had high speed I probably would get nothing done outside.  :D I'm to cheap to spend money on high speed,but will spend money on a sawmill or a tractor right quick.  ;D  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on November 25, 2008, 04:37:43 AM
Tom,that's why there are trees to cut,rocks to dig out.If I had high speed I probably would get nothing done outside.  :D I'm to cheap to spend money on high speed,but will spend money on a sawmill or a tractor right quick.  ;D  ;D
High speed (when it works is like having a bigger mill, dial up is using to small of a saw for the csm.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sawdust

Amazing what a little maintenance will do! New filters and it seems like a whole new machine. 1.5 l is enough motor. Push too hard and the rubber bands start to squeal.

Thank You Sponsors!