iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White patches on ash?

Started by ken, August 11, 2001, 08:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken

I have a milling client who has half a dozen mature ash trees in a mixed hardwood stand with pronounced white patches on the bark. These patches are roughly 2 feet in diameter and appear to be some disease.

Can anyone help with identification and cause /cure?

Thanks ken

Ron Scott

Ken,
Where are you located? May be best to contact the Extension Service in your area for diagnosis and if its a problem of concern.
~Ron

ken

The trees are located about 35 NW of Cincinnati, Oh.

Upon closer inspection, the bark is depressed by about 1/8 to 1/4" in the area where where the white patches are. It almost looks like something either shrunk or disolved the bark.

The  patches are not uniform in shape. In the affected areas, the bark retains fissures and texture similar to the unaffected surrounding areas, just lower in profile.

This makes me think it may be some sort of bacterial or fungal attack.
Ken

Jeff

Ken is there anyway you could get us a picture?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bill Johnson

Ken
I've checked out a couple of sources but haven't found any that describe a fungal or biological attack similar to what you describe affecting ash.

The closest I've come is that it may be oystershell scale but if you can still see the details of the bark that's probably not correct either.

Jeff has the right idea, if you can post a picture it might help.
Bill

ken

Will bring my camera to the site on Saturday when I'm scheduled to mill there next.

ken

Here are the tree Pix, thanks to Jeff for help in converting th
em.

ken

Here's a close up of the first shot.

ken

ken

ken

Ron Wenrich

I've seen those white patches on ash before.  I never have attributed it to any particular disease, but to growing conditions or tree vigor conditions.  I could be wrong on that.

Usually, the ash is growing off site, somewhat.  They need a pretty good site, but will grow on lesser quality sites.  That stresses the tree.

Another indicator pointing to stress in your pictures are the swollen knots.  They usually indicate heartrot.  That could come from old logging or fire damage.

I've also seen patches similar to that on white oak.  That usually indicates worm infestation.   Glass worm is prevelent in some ash, and I've seen very little ash with white patches turn out to be veneer quality.  Glass worm will reduce ash and white oak to sawlog quality.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!